Support at university

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Support at university

Postby kat95 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:07 am

Hi everybody, I have recently heard that I have got into university and it has suddenly dawned on me that I haven't really got any support in place ready for starting. I had access to a word processor for my GCSE and A level exams and extra time when this was not possible and it is kind of essential that I have access to the same arrangements at university. Does anybody know about how to go about arranging support? I do know about DSA and I am thinking about applying for it but is this essential to have exam arrangements? My other query is whether it is necessary to have an up to date psychological assessment as evidence as my assessment was done when I was 11.
Thank you guys, any replies would be appreciated.
kat95
Mega Poster

Re: Support at university

Postby Steph » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Kat. Congratulations again on getting into university! :D Regarding the DSA, I would definitely apply for it ASAP as it can take up to 2 months to be processed. You will need a more up to date assessment than the one you had at the age of 11. I always had my DSA so I can't say whether you can get extra time without it but you will definitely need it to get a personal computer to use in exams if this is what you had in secondary school.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby nataliekirkland » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:04 am

Well done on getting into university! I won't be going for another couple of years yet (I'm getting my GCSE exam results on Thursday) but my brother has aspergers syndrome and applied last year. From what I remember, he had to get an assessment into his needs and they provided him with the support he needed, such as a laptop and training into how to use it, so it would be worth investigating. I'm not sure about exam arrangements. though sorry
nataliekirkland
Mega Poster

Postby Paddington » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Congratulations on getting into university.My brother is in a similar position. Yes I believe you have to get an up to date report. I think it talks about this when you look at something your university sends you about various things. It should have something learning disabilities and about DSA. or that's what happened for my brother sorry I cant be more specific as I wasn't really paying attention when my brother was doing this.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby wadey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:38 pm

Congratlations in getting into uni. About getting support it deffo worth looking into and applying for it ASAP.
wadey
Site Admin

Return to Study Support