exercise

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

exercise

Postby Joss1991 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:40 pm

anyone else have any trouble with doing exercise as when ever i do sports i fall over or get frustrated when i cant do it meaning that i really dont do enough exercise and my parents keep naging me to do exercise as they just dont get it
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:01 pm

What sports are you trying to do? Some exercises are more dyspraxic-friendly than others. The two I would recommend most are swimming (uses all your muscles) and horse riding. Riding costs quite a bit - approximately twelve pounds an hour for a group lesson, providing you don't go to a hideously expensive tourist-trap rip-off stable - but it is worth every penny. My co-ordination came on in leaps and bounds after I started to ride. I can't handle jumping, as I signal the horse to take off about five minutes before we're actually within jumping distance of the thing, but apart from that I can't recommend it enough. It strengthens your muscles, improves your balance, and makes you much more graceful. Swimming has similar benefits. If you start to swim regularly, you will probably find that your overall sporting proficiency improves. Bat and ball games are still too difficult for me to cope with, but at least I don't get tired all the time now.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

exercise

Postby k9ruby » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:02 pm

hourse riding is fab until u become allergic to the hourse.... :cry:

Tranmpilining is fun, because although at first i was conviced if i bounced higher than 5cm i would fall off, i have learnt some tricks although no flips yet!!! :roll: :wink:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby _C_ » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:07 pm

Rock Climbing!

You have to remember which colour(s) youre climbing with, you have to use all your strength to get anywhere, you build up coordination because its not easy getting yourself onto the right coloured holds, balance because you have to use 3 limbs whilst the fourth finds the right place and because the holds can be small and you cannot hit the ground because either an instructor has got you safely on the rope or a mechanised pulley will guarantee you go down at a constant speed!

Love it!
_C_
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:31 pm

Good Lord, we're getting adventurous here! :shock: Next thing you know, it will be parachuting...perhaps we should form our own brigade.
parnassus
Site Admin

parachuting

Postby k9ruby » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:33 pm

gawd.....I tried rock climing once at one of those kids indoor play area thingys but the assistant had to help me down after i got about 4 feet!!! :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby _C_ » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:42 pm

I am adventurous! I get my kicks from Extreme Sports! HAHA!

My last climb was about 15metres! Next thing to master is the small over hang! Then its the 20metre climb with LARGE overhang! :shock:
_C_
Super Poster

Postby madame_tigre » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:58 am

Blimey! I'd love to try extreme sports, yet I'm terrified of them. I have attempted to abseil twice, but can't get myself over the edge, which is supposed to be the hardest part. I've tried practicing the technique but I find it hard.

I agree that swimming is a really good sport. I'd also recommend dancing because you don't have to be a good dancer to enjoy it and lose weight

I do go to the gym sometimes and I enjoy it, the biggest problem is when I get off the machine, I sometimes miss my footing :oops:

Sports I definitely would not recommend would be hockey, rugby and football (if you already play any of them and enjoy them, then that's fine)

I found boating very stressful as well. When I was eight, I was at an adventure playground and we could go in single boats across the lake. I ended up going in circles, my parents kept on giving me advice but I couldn't get anywhere. I had to be rescued in the end. It's funny now, but I was not a happy bunny when the incident happened. Tried it again last year, but haven't improved one bit - thankfully there were more people in the boat so I didn't have to be rescued!

Also, anyone who dares to walk within 10 metres of where I'm standing whilst playing racquet sports does so at their own risk!!!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby _C_ » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:46 pm

I actually learnt to balance through skateboarding so now its time for snowboarding me thinks! Ive abseiled a few times. My technique? stand on top, lower self to horisontal position with the rope, wedge feet againsta wall, walk or jump. i prefer jumping about a metre at a time because if i walk i usually trip, panic and let go of the rope! :shock:
_C_
Super Poster

Postby C » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:31 pm

Swimming and trampolining are my favourite sports. I also like playing tennis; not proper tennis, just batting the ball to and from the other person. I don't like sport very much, but I know that it's im
portant in order to be healthy. I hate doing sport in front of other people though, I try to do it when I'm alone to avoid becoming ebarrased when I keep falling down!!!
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Joss1991 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:54 pm

well thanks but im alergic to horses i swim quite a lot but it tends to get boring and im hopless at everytging else i go on a activity holiday every summer so that helps a bit.
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:20 pm

In that case, trampolining.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby parnassus » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:21 pm

P.S. Does anyone else here scuba dive? I have my PADI Open Water Diver qualification, but I can't find any decent dive sites in England. Grr. After the coral gardens of the Red Sea, Bognor Regis might be a bit of a let down...
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Rosel » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:10 pm

There is the Scylla
http://www.secta.org.uk/Dive_Scylla.htm
It's a ex-Navy boat that's been sunk to provide an artificial reef off the coast of Cornwall.
Rosel
Advanced Member

Postby kitty_cute » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:26 pm

Im terrified of extreme sports! Im proud of myself though - I did abseil down a 90ft wall! But, heck, was I SCARED!
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to Study Support