Test anxiety

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Test anxiety

Postby rita » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:57 pm

I have a lot of trouble during exams, even when I'm confident I know the material, knowig that I must manage both my time and my anxiety is overwhelming. My mind refuses to cooperate; it either freezes and remains focused on the amount of time steadily rushing past or in an effort to keep up it mixes everything up so that:

my handwriting is atrocious because I'm desperately trying to get all my scrambled ideas down in time

My ideas reach unprecedented heights of blurriness

Does anyone have tips on how to stay in control ?

PS: since I haven't been assessed officially, I can't really get extra time (only occasionally with understanding teachers, and thankfully I have some)
rita
Advanced Member

Postby fuzzy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:07 pm

Hey Rita!

My advice would be to get yourself properly diagnosed asap! This is paramount as it seems that your grades are affected by your problems. I had extra time BEFORE i got diagnosed with residual dyslexia- go to your learning support department at school (are you at school or uni? I cant remember your age!) and tell them about your problems- thats what I did, whcih led to not only extra time but a free assesment with an educational physcologist! :)

Also- I got a transcriber at school- meaning that my exams were re- written afterwards because my handwriting was so bad; I still get that at uni and it really helps, as I dont have to worry about my writing being illegible and can concentrate more on answering the Q's. Try to get a good nights sleep before a test and go in with a positive attitude- going in telling yourself that your gonna fail will not do you any favours!! I always try not to worry about tests by putting them into perspective- to calm myself down, I say 'whats the worst that can happen? I can only do my best'.

Hope this helps! :D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby bibliophile » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:15 am

do rutines help you in other things?

because if ihey do you could give yourself the same rutine for the start of every exam. like breathing in and looking to the left something basic and not complicated but may calm you down eneugh the thdink straight i put my pens in a straight line even though i type!
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:35 am

I agree with fuzzy. It sound like you really need extra time, so arrange an assessment ASAP. It might also help you relax to have some sort of lucky charm with you. Smells can also be relaxing: get an handkerchief and put some essential oil on it (lavender is very relaxing). If you have a problem with stress, alternative therapies, especially homeopathy, can be helpful.
Try and get things in perspective. Exams are important, bt they aren't the be-all and end-all of life. Many successful people did not do well in exams: the majority of self-made millionaires were not academically outsatnding. Albert Einstein and the poet S.T. Coleridge failed in their exams but still went on to achieve great things. Don't plae too much importance on them: paradoxically, caring less about exams will improve your performance in them.
Buy Vicky's book, "Caged in Chaos", for more help. It is excellent. You may also wish to contact the dispraia foundation for advice.
There a pens with special grips which can improve your handwriting. You don't have to go o a special shop for them, they're available in lots of stationary shops. If you can't find them, a wide-barrelled pen will generally help. Try not to grip the pen too tight: it will make your hand hurt, especially if you're trying to write fast.
Practice makes perfect. Do practice papers and time yourself. This will help when it comes to the real thing.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:24 pm

hey i suffer formt eh same anxitey as u!

durign my standard gardes (scottish verson of GCSEs) if found that on the day if i used lavender cream on my hands and perfum which i had bn wearing when studyign that subject then i wud b more relaxed.

i woudl recomend if you're lucky enough to live near a lush store (searchon google for lush) go in and buy a tmeple balm called Woosh!! i havnt tried it but i no alot of peoopel who ahev used it and its amazing! it works and best thisn nearlly 100% naureal chemicals and only uses safe synthetics and not teasted on animals!!!
You toke the fall and thoguth of me above all
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby david456 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:39 pm

Hi,
I have the same problem, so I just make sure my handwriting is legable, so I get it all down. Also take in a bottle of water to keep yourself hydrated and focused.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby kitty_cute » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:01 pm

I hate aniexty it sucks :( Try and get a screening thing as soon as possible, and everything will seem easier :D
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:35 pm

oh another product form lush i wud recomended personally is the lip balm tea tree (of tea tree simplex as its claled on their website) . has sum extracts of lavender in it and it calms youd odnw
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby kitty_cute » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:36 pm

Hmm, well I for one, am going to try that!

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:21 pm

its like better than vaselin for your lips but the smell helps you relax!!
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby fuzzy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:03 am

Yikes!!! I have exams when I go back to uni!!! Ones on the 19th and the other on the 25th!! Ant=yone else got looming exams?

Iv not started revising yet as IM going to wait until i return home on Monday and re-settle in. Iv got roughly 10 days but i think if i give myslef a week and manage my time well so that Im not just sitting about ALL dfay woryying about exmas then I should be ok...............
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby kitty_cute » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:42 am

fuzzy Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:03 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yikes!!! I have exams when I go back to uni!!! Ones on the 19th and the other on the 25th!! Ant=yone else got looming exams?

Iv not started revising yet as IM going to wait until i return home on Monday and re-settle in. Iv got roughly 10 days but i think if i give myslef a week and manage my time well so that Im not just sitting about ALL dfay woryying about exmas then I should be ok...............

No worries Fuzzy, I have an RS GCSE mock coming up, on the 17th of January, I need my laptop in time for then too!

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:44 am

Black_Haired_Angel
Power Poster

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:21 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its like better than vaselin for your lips but the smell helps you relax!!

Really? I cant live without my vasaline!

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:56 am

sum times i liek it other tiems its 2 greasy for me
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby kitty_cute » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:25 pm

I always lick my lip balm off too so no worries there ahah