chemical formulae

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

chemical formulae

Postby bibliophile » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:17 am

i have my GCSE chemistry in june and my mocks in 2 months and i can't seem to get chemical formulae at all they just go straight over my head i can get them if i explain them verbally to someone and do it with models in a lesson but i can't do it on paper! does anyone have aby ideas about what i should do because every report says i need to learn thhem but even though i know they are important i just can't seem to take them in!
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby fuzzy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:58 am

Hey- well i did higher chemisrty and got an A so I may be able to help you a bit! However- I gave up scinces 2 years ago so Iv forgotten ALOT about the subject! Am I right in thinking that chemial formulae is the make up of the chemical?

eg Carbon Dioxide- CO2

This is because there are 2 oxegen molecules for every one Carbon moelcule....

If im talking about the right thing, pm me if you want and I'll try and remember what I can!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby fuzzy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:02 am

PS- I also had loads of difficulty with this- but I always used to complicate things much more than I needed to. I think one day it just clicked and the mental barrier disapered! Does anyone else have this problem?
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby medrich11 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:59 am

You could try drawing pictures of the chemical and labelling the molecules so that you could see it visually. It works better for some
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:40 am

Try writing them out in different coulours (colour helps memory, for some reason) on post-it notes and sticking them all over your home. That will help you remember.
If you're really struggling, myybe you could ask your teacher to lay on some extra lessons at lunchtime. If this still doesn't help, maybe you could ask a friend who is good at Chemistry to help.
Buy CGP revision books. They are really helpful for Science and Maths.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby rusty » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:21 am

I agree withe the advice from 1337 (Thirteen-thirty-seven) the CGP books helped me and so did the post it notes (i got an A so they do really work) having extra lessont will also probobly help.

PS good avice 1337
I got into 6th form
rusty

Postby bibliophile » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:51 pm

i seem to get them in lessons and before our exam i asked for extra help and she went through them and i seemed to get them but in a test i just don't get them it just fades from my memory or something i just can't seem tos write them down and even if i'm not panicked i just forget.

thanks for the help.
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Return to Study Support