help please

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

help please

Postby carrie » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:33 pm

can any of you give me some advice on how to cope with A S level subjects which are written work heavy
I did AS History last year and got a C/D which I was really pleased about but Im going to do an AS in either sociology or psychology this year aswell as the A2 year of history my wrist gets tired easily any ways of combatting it as by the end of my history exam i had very painful wrist!!!! please help
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby thelaughinggooner » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:02 pm

i do AS history, they let me use a PC in exams and for all essays. ask your lecturers about it. i had a small appointment with an Ed. psychologist and he assessed my reading age, spelling age, typing and writing speed. thats how i got the pc in exams (+ 25% extra time :D )
thelaughinggooner
Advanced Member

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:24 pm

You should be entitled for extra time for both exams and course work, have a word with the head of special needs in your school/college and they shoud arrange everything for you...........

unless u attend the school i used to, which said 'well you seem to know what you are or rather you think you are entitled to so here is the phone phone the exam board yourself!'

erm my old school were far from supportive!
x
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:28 pm

Well Im doing history at uni and did Socilogy as a side subject in first year sio Im your girl!! What du wanna know? From youyr post, Im assuming that its not the coursework that you wnat help with but the technicalities of writing an essay (ie handwrting etc)?? Well I never got a computer to write essays on at home or at school for exams.... I had all my exam papers transcribed (re written with me present) staright after each exam, which took 3 hours for history! Twas gruelling!!! My hand used to get really sore too but all I could do was keep on going... you should have seen my hands after the exams OMG!!! PAINFULL!!! But at uni I got a laptop from my Disabled Students Allowance which means I can type up all my essays (whixh the uni expects everyone to do anyway) and exams get transcribed as I dont think Im a fast enough typer (yet) to type in my exams. However, if you need help with the coursework, I should be able to help you out :) feel free to PM me!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby carrie » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:37 pm

thanks i can have the extra time already but i write fast its just messy and i get sire arms !!!!

i should get the dsa as i need the computer for uni. and where are you doing history fuzzy
smile it could be worse

carrie

carrie
Forum Master

Postby Cartouche » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:53 pm

I got extra time for my history, yet I got very sore arms and I still was unable to finish a few of my essays. They let me type up my course essays (the timed, in-class ones) on a laptop, but I did not get any extra time for those. As for the essays I did outside of exams, they were word processed without exception, and that seriously helped with my Personal Study.
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby fuzzy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:26 pm

Carrie- I do history at Aberdeen uni :)

Where are you going/ starting uni? Or are you still in your final year of school?
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby carrie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:10 am

i have two years of 6 foorm to go as am resitting a year but want to go to dundee to do history specialinsing in scottish history
smile it could be worse

carrie

carrie
Forum Master

Postby fuzzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:24 pm

Cool! Dundees only an hour from Aberdeen! :D Scottish History is fun- I do it as part of my yholiday job (guide in Edinburgh- go to the thread LOOK! for more info :) )
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby carrie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:29 pm

cool i love it as i've always been keen on history and i drag my family to museums when we're on holiday in scotland
smile it could be worse

carrie

carrie
Forum Master

Postby Cartouche » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:10 pm

One of my internet friends (whom I've met) went to George Herriot's School in Edinburgh and gave tours of it to American tourists^^
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby fuzzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:00 pm

I went to school really near Heriots, on the same raod actaully! AND i give ghost and history tours on the Royal Mile! So meh!!! :wink:
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Return to Study Support