Characters on the autistic spectrum

This is the place to post jokes, play story games etc.

Characters on the autistic spectrum

Postby Steph » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:35 pm

This is a follow on from the Characters with Dyspraxia thread.

My vote would have to go to Will from the InBetweeners. My brother and sister always say he reminds them of me and he is very pedantic and literal minded! Also he's not so good at all the social stuff although, admittedly, some of that is due to his posh background meaning he doesn't fit in at his new school. Also, in one episode, the new girl he was attracted to asked him if he had ever been tested for Aspergers. Last of all, when I took the "Which InBetweeners character are you?" quiz on Facebook, I came out as Will which is proof enough for me!
Steph
Forum God !

Re: Characters on the autistic spectrum

Postby Steph » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:22 am

The girl from Waterloo Road and the boy from Grange Hill several years ago were diagnosed with Aspergers.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby kerrianne92 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:37 pm

Temperence brennan and Zach from Bones definately act autistic (they show alot of the traits) some of the other characters could also be aswell but im not sure.
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:33 pm

Luna Lovegood.

Jeremy Clockson from Thief of Time.

Brain from New Tricks.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Cynamon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Hermione Granger.

I know she doesn't seem like an obvious choice. I'm thinking about her obsession with studying/school. For her, there is *nothing* more important.

"You could have gotten us killed! Or, even worse, expelled!"
Cynamon

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:42 pm

I don't think she is autistic. She is obsessive because she puts to much pressure on herself, not because she goes into hyperfocus.

She does not have any other autistic traits.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Simon from the movie "Mercury Rising" was severely autistic.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:54 pm

Alice Tinker from The Vicar of Dibley had quite a lot of Aspergers traits-she needed jokes explained to her multiple times, she took things literally and she had problems understanding when others were bored of her. However, she was very sociable but then again, so am I. She could have been dyspraxic too but I'm not sure.

Nick from My Family also struck me as someone on the spectrum. He never realised when he was behaving inappropriately and he spoke in a monotone. He also had problems with self help skills and always got obsessed with different projects and different jobs he wanted to work in. My family used to comment on how similar he was to me.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:50 am

Hmmm... never thought about that before.

Captain Carrot from the Discworld gets very obsessed with things and is extremely naive and slow to pick up on subtexts. Maybe he's on the spectrum.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby madame_tigre » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:40 am

Only just thought of this but what about Mrs Doyle from Father Ted? She didn't understand the concept of sarcasm and was obsessed with making cups of tea!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:59 pm

Danny, the bullying victim in the book "Hangman" by Julia Jarman. His diagnosis isn't actually mentioned in the book but the book was recommended in an autism specific books catalogue and I got it out of the library so many times when I was younger! Anyone who knows about Aspergers Syndrome will be able to recognise the symptoms in Danny. He is highly intelligent and is mocked by his classmates for listening so eagerly on the school history trip to France, he has very different interests to most teenage boys such as Classic FM and isn't afraid to talk about them, he is obsessed with certain historical periods and he struggles to make friends.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Creative » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:38 pm

I've read that book several times as well Steph and Danny has a lot of the symptoms of aspergers syndrome. It's a very good book but it's very sad.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby madame_tigre » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:45 pm

Christopher from Curious incident of the Dog in the Night Time. Athough, he was very stereotypical and I think for that reason, not many people on the spectrum can relate to him that well. Don't get me wrong though, I still thought it was a great book!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:39 am

My family used to think that Anton Meyer, the cardiothoracic surgeon in Holby City when it first started back in 1999, had Aspergers Syndrome because he never got involved in the emotional side of surgery and everything had to be his way or he got agitated. Then again, only a minority of people with AS present as emotionally withdrawn so perhaps he wasn't and was just a stereotypical professor.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:05 pm

Lloyd Simcoe's son, Dylan in FlashForward has autism.
Remus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Fun Forum