Abortion

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Are you against abortion?

yes
46%
no
36%
no, but the upper time limit for abortion should be lowered
18%

Total votes : 28

Abortion

Postby C » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:15 pm

'Abortion' is the first thing alphabetically I could think of to debate about and so seems as good a topic as any to me to get this debate forum going.

Here are my views on abortion:

I don't believe that abortion is black and white, something you can easily say 'yes, I agree with that' or 'no, I don't.' I used to be against abortion because I love children so much and because I don't think I'd ever have an abortion myself but now my views have changed.

First of all, I decided that, in the case of rape, abortion is completely justified-even expected. Few people would doubt that in the situation of a fifteen-year-old girl who's been raped abortion is immoral or worng. Then I thought that if something was wrong with the baby that could cause it's death as soon as it was born, or could harm the mother, then abortion in this case is justified too.

Then I started to think about all those child abuse cases I have heard about, in the news. Rarely, a mother of father will kill their child, something that could have been prevented were they to undergo an abortion. It is far better to kill a seven-week-old foetus than a seven-year-old child.

I don't believe that everyone is physically, emotionally, intellectually, financially or mentally ready for a child. Of course this is not the child's fault but if the child is born the child will pay too and have to deal with resentment and bitter feelings from the parents. If abortion were made illegal, mothers may turn to 'backstreet' abortions, endangering their own lifes.

Although not against abortion, I do believe the upper time limit in which a woman can have an abortion should be lowered if the foetus or mother's life is not in danger. The upper time limit at present is 24 weeks, except if the mother's life is in danger, there's severe foetus abnomrality or risk of grave physical or mental injury to the woman, in which case there is no limit.

In the past, babies born before 28 weeks of pregnancy would have died (which is why the abortion limit was first 28 weeks when abortion laws came into place in 1967, before it was lowered to 24 weeks.) Advances in medical technology means that now premature babies are now surviving from as young as twenty three weeks. I find it distressing that babies that could survive outside the womb are being aborted and would not object if the upper time limit was lowered.

Of course, it would be far better if unwanted pregnancies never occured. But they do and sometimes abortion is the best answer. I am not saying that mother's do not bond with children they did not plan, I was not a planned baby myself and lots of women who are not maternal have children and their feelings towards them change. But children deserve to grow up in happy, stimulating environments and not everyone can provide that. I am pro children's rights, which is why I am not against abortion.

What do you think? (I have not included a 'don't know' option on the poll on purpose, because that is the 'easy' option to go for!)
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby carrie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:07 pm

Im completely against it because of my own religious beliefs (im a strong christian) but can understand why someone would in certain circumstances and agree with c on that
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby fuzzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:54 pm

I agree with abortion- its my body and if I choose to go down that route then it is my choice and no elses! I get so pissed off at ppl who condemm those that have had abortions- who are they to tell someone what is right and wrong?! You dont think having an abortion is a really difficult descion to make? I reckon all these fanatical poster yeilding opposers think that ppl who choose to abort thier baby just stroll in to thier nearest clinic and end thier child's life while filing thier nails! Its a tough choice to make and really upsetting for the mother in question; these women are not the antichrist; just the victim of circumstance/ illness.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby carrie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:03 pm

yup i agreew its your choice i just have a problem with it being used as contraception or whatever and its used far far to often and is easy to get one legally
just my opinion and should be alot harder to have
smile it could be worse

carrie

carrie
Forum Master

Postby fuzzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:06 pm

No, your tottaly entitled to your opinion! I just feel strongly aboot it, thats all! :D So do you therefore not belive in the pill/ condoms?
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby carrie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:10 pm

yeah thats fine as its prevention not something used after the fact because of a so called mistake as someone who doesnt believe in sex before marriage mistakes with pill/condoms arent such a problem
smile it could be worse

carrie

carrie
Forum Master

abortion

Postby k9ruby » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:38 pm

I would think abortion is ok if carrying on the pregnancy would seriosly harm motherand/or baby or if they have been diagnosed with a terminal illness.

I don't think abortion is ok however, if for example (my mums a midwife) she met a lady once who found out that her baby could have a small problem (not life threatening) and she asked to abort. This angers me as so many people now want 'perfect' babys- how do they know their 'perfect baby' isn't going to be involved with a accident and become severly brain damged or paralised?
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby carrie » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:56 pm

exactly ruby and it all depends what people call a problem
smile it could be worse

carrie

carrie
Forum Master

Postby monkey » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:23 am

i dont agree with abortion. i dont think any less of some one for doing it becuase its not an easy desision for any one. one of my friends who was raped had an abortion and it still effects her today. infact most of my freinds that have now regreat it. some of them get very up set when ever that time of year comes around again when there child was lost. most of them find it very hard to express any feelings becuase there afraid of other peoples reactions. becuase people can rub it in there faces or attack them about it. i think that if people had more suport and actluy spent there time suporting these people instead of condeming them then the abortion rate would drop. to add a little bit of a different trend. in to cases i know of the girls where put under alot of preshre to get abortions even if they didnt want to. in ones cases her elder brothers and sisters forsed her. in the case of another girl she was kicked out of home but refused to gieve up her child. i belive tha abortion is wrong not just because of the effects on the child but the mother as well. also i am a christain and so i believe that the unborn child is just as much a human being as one thats been born. and i belive that they deserve the same respect as any other human being.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby monkey » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:24 am

i think its discusting that some one would abort a child becuase of a small probelme!
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

I know

Postby k9ruby » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:19 pm

I know! we are on the verge of trying to create a perfect sociaty, so disabilities, or difficulties are not understood, and sometimes not tolerated by some ignorent, flea- brained idiots.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby medrich11 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:16 pm

I completely agree with Fuzzy on this
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby Alice » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:41 pm

I apriciate not everyone shares my moral and religios beliefs (I'm a fairly strong christian), but I personly think It isn't that different to killing someone who has been born. I believe that if God decided to put someone on this earth that gives them the right to be on it. If pepole choose to have an abortion It's still their decision, and nobody should think less of them, but they should remember that they are denying their child the right to live.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby cohen » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:40 pm

i am a beleiver of quality of life as appose to sanctity. there are only certain situations where i would agree with abortion aside from the ones C has allready proposed.

say it is a very racist environment and every day living in it was hell for the parents. i think that it would be doing the unborn child a favour by allowing him/her to bypass all of the horror and misery that would have hit him/her hard in the face when he/she was born. being born jewish i do keep some of the beleifs and one is that if you die before the age of 70 i think then the rest of your life of sins and good deeds is accounted for by god who can see the future and can see what would have ahppened to the person in question. this is why i think it is ok because for some reason i beleive in an afterlife and so the child would not need to know all the hardships of that life it may have lived because the child will go to wherever he was going to go(jews dont beleive in hell :) only heaven) anyway and the soul will then go to live a more happy and prosperous life(souls are reused again and again throughout history or there would have been no way for them all to get to mount sinai when the torah was given(i know quite a bit about judaism lol)

correct me if im wrong about anything i've said and tell me if you cant understand it cos i wont blame you lol.
cohen
Advanced Member

Postby parnassus » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:03 pm

Cohen, that post sounds as if you are stongly influenced by the teachings of Rebbe Lubavitch. I know some Jews who believe in hell and others who don't believe in reincarnation. One of the things I like so much about Judaism is that its beliefs on the afterlife aren't prescriptive - it tends to concentrate more on the here and now, which makes it an effective force for good in society.

I do not agree with your stance on abortion. Even if the unborn soul is looked after by God after its physical life is terminated, even if it would have been born into hardship and misery, why is that a valid reason to abort? What if Martin Luther King's parents had chosen to abort him because they didn't want him to grow up in a nasty racist environment? You can't make judgements about someone else's life. That potential person may be better equipped to cope than you think they are. I know a survivor of the Holocaust who was only sixteen when she had to go into hiding, away from her family and friends. Most of her loved ones were caught, and they never came back from the camps. Yet she has had a wonderfully successful life and she doesn't wish herself undone.

I could not have an abortion because I do not believe that an unborn baby is ever just a part of the mother's body. I am only the messenger who is carrying the baby into the world; the baby has its own heart, its own brain, its own body. It is not my place or my right to destroy him.

Leaving religion out of the picture, I am a little concerned that terminations can still legally be carried out after the baby's nerve system has begun to develop. This means that the child in there can still feel pain. Some doctors believe the foetus should be given a painkiller before the termination starts. I don't like the sound of that. It reads like infanticide to me.

That said, I didn't vote 'yes' in the poll. I simply voted 'the time limit should be lowered'. This is because I don't think our society is ready to function without abortion - yet. It is wrong for pro-life campaigners to treat women who have abortions as if they are somehow foul or dangerous. 'Pro-life' means all life - including the life of the mother - and if they are truly against abortion, they should help to set up day care centres, volunteer as child minders, train as post-rape counsellors, and generally offer services to help and comfot women who might be tempted to abort their children otherwise. Blowing up abortion clinics and haranguing some poor traumatised woman is not pro-life. Nor is it anti-abortion. In fact, it encourages abortion and works against life.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Debate Forum