Abortion

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Are you against abortion?

yes
13
46%
no
10
36%
no, but the upper time limit for abortion should be lowered
5
18%
 
Total votes : 28

Postby fuzzy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:58 pm

Columbia wrote:


"I think there needs to be more support for women who genuinely WANT to give birth but don't feel able to because of poverty and circumstances"

Thats why I said what I did- i was just making a passing comment that i think that if you cannot afford children then dont have them. It was actually pretty irreleavnt to this thread and what you said so my apologies lol :oops:
User avatar
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:26 pm

Postby Columbia » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:08 pm

fuzzy wrote:Columbia wrote:


"I think there needs to be more support for women who genuinely WANT to give birth but don't feel able to because of poverty and circumstances"

Thats why I said what I did- i was just making a passing comment that i think that if you cannot afford children then dont have them. It was actually pretty irreleavnt to this thread and what you said so my apologies lol :oops:


No problem, fuzzy. :wink:
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.
*Pro-Choice and Proud*
User avatar
Columbia
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:06 pm

Postby towildhoney » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:45 pm

I see your argument Columbia that when a child is inside your body it is your choice. It is dependent on your body for it to live so you can chose not to support it. I think this argument does not work when the child is viable without your bodies support. I do not see either that any society would accept that an unborn child be aborted at 8 1/2 weeks when the life of the child is entirley viable independent of the mothers. Yes adoption is an extremley difficult choice but not as difficullt I would argue as getting rid of a child at 8 1/2 monthes. The recent debates have been sparked in Britain as it genuinley seen as moraly questionable in the UK to be carrying out abortions at a stage where life is increasingly becoming viable. Also I would argue that a women would have had sufficent time prior to this to have an abortion. I think the case of the girl in Costa Rica was misplaced anyway as I understand it a child who is pregnant at 8 is in medical danger and abortion should be an option on medical grounds. Ireland had a somewhat similar case of the X girl who was raped and eventualy aloud to travel to have an abortion as the pregnancy was making her suicidal.
Pregnancy as a result of rape needs to be handled sensitivley especialy in the case of children alas in several cases church groups have failed grosely its all very well to say your punishing a child for the sins of its father but I think in the case of an 8 year old there medical welfare has to come first.

I think people with conservative views on abortion are often served badly by the uncharitable, violent shock tactics of pro life groups.
towildhoney
Forum Master
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:38 pm

Postby Danni » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:55 pm

An abortion after 23 weeks (when there's a chance of the baby surviving, and this is reducing all the time) to me is just wrong. You've gone through that much of the pregnancy, you might as well finish, and have the child adopted if you don't want the child. You'd have to go through birth anyway, so might as well give the child a chance!
Purple penguin resistance member
User avatar
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:39 pm
Location: Gateshead, England

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:12 pm

Danni wrote:An abortion after 23 weeks (when there's a chance of the baby surviving, and this is reducing all the time) to me is just wrong. You've gone through that much of the pregnancy, you might as well finish, and have the child adopted if you don't want the child. You'd have to go through birth anyway, so might as well give the child a chance!


But even when the fetus is viablethe choice between giving birth or aborting is difficult because both have profound effects on your life: with abortion you get yoiur old life back in it's entirity, you get a straightforward end, som efinality, while with adoption you torture yourself with thoughts of the child. Aborting would be etter for some women, adoption would be better for some women: the point is women should get to decide.
Guest
 

Postby Columbia » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:14 pm

Danni wrote:An abortion after 23 weeks (when there's a chance of the baby surviving, and this is reducing all the time) to me is just wrong. You've gone through that much of the pregnancy, you might as well finish, and have the child adopted if you don't want the child. You'd have to go through birth anyway, so might as well give the child a chance!


But even when the fetus is viablethe choice between giving birth or aborting is difficult because both have profound effects on your life: with abortion you get yoiur old life back in it's entirity, you get a straightforward end, som efinality, while with adoption you torture yourself with thoughts of the child. Aborting would be Better for some women, adoption would be better for some women: the point is women should get to decide.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.
*Pro-Choice and Proud*
User avatar
Columbia
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:06 pm

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:03 am

I don't think that if you abort you get your old life back. I would feel guilty for the rest of my life, however, I understand how difficult it is for people who have actually been in that situation, so I don't blame them.
User avatar
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !
 
Posts: 2609
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:52 pm

Postby Danni » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:50 am

You don't get your old life back... there's always this feeling of guilt niggling at you. It would be even worse if you'd actually felt the baby kick (which with Samantha happened from around 14 weeks).
Purple penguin resistance member
User avatar
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:39 pm
Location: Gateshead, England

Postby Columbia » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:23 pm

Danni wrote:You don't get your old life back... there's always this feeling of guilt niggling at you. It would be even worse if you'd actually felt the baby kick (which with Samantha happened from around 14 weeks).


I get what're you saying about niggles of guilt, but that doesn't happen with all women, and that doesn't necessarily signify regret. Some women would feel too guilty, some wouldn't so why not let the individual woman decide?
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.
*Pro-Choice and Proud*
User avatar
Columbia
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:06 pm

Previous

Return to Debate Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron