Animal Testing

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

What do you think about animal testing?

For
4%
Against
17%
For-but only for medical reasons
78%

Total votes : 23

Animal Testing

Postby C » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:22 pm

What do you think about animal testing?

I am for animal testing for medical reasons as I believe it is far better to test a cure for cancer on a rat than on a baby.

For non-medical reasons, I believe there are better ways to make perfume etc. than by hurting animals.

To sum up, I believe animal testing is okay for medical reasons but not for any other reason.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby carrie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:09 pm

yeah same as you if it wasnt for animal testing my big sister wouldnt be alive so i would say that
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby fuzzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:24 pm

Yup I agree- I used to be totally against it when I was younger but now I think, well if its betyween me and a bunny, its the bunny everytime! Its huiman instinct to want to survive!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby carrie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:25 pm

yup totally animals are precious but human life is more so
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:35 pm

I am completely and morally against animal testing.
www.freetheanimals.homestead.co.uk

the scientists have now developed virtual programs which are better at predicting human reaction to a medicine than using it on a bunny.
with that info I believe that we could abolish animal testing completely.

wow

Postby k9ruby » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:17 pm

Really? the link doesn't work btw!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby medrich11 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:14 pm

sorry that was me. This nis the real link.
www.freetheanimals.homestead.com

This has some disturbing pictures so I wouldn't recommend it to people who are squeamish.

Scientists really do have the tchnology to do the skin tests but this site is very biased.

sorry, aparrently the site has stopped paying for the space.
Last edited by medrich11 on Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
medrich11
Mega Poster

site

Postby k9ruby » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:14 pm

Still doesn't work. :?:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:59 pm

I agree that animal testing should only be used for medical testing.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Tom » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:59 pm

I have to agree with everybody who has said for animal testing. Yes, it is mean to harm animals but if it is to save a humans life then go ahead. Everybody in my school are all anti-animal testing but I think differently.
"Love leads to greed, greed leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to sufferering, suffrering leads to the dark side"
Tom
Advanced Member

Postby fuzzy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:58 pm

I get really annoyed when ppl make out that those who test stuff on animals are the antichrist, sending them letter bombs and stuff! I mean, if you dont agree with it then fine.. but lets not go over the top and try to kill them!

PS- this is totally random coz I know no ones actually said that theyd letter bomb someone
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Alice » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:25 pm

I'm sorry but thousands of pepole are more important than a few rats/bunnys/monkeys I'm for using them in medical experiments. However I don't think they should be hurt to test cosmetics or satisfy the curiosity of scientists about things like how frogs hunt at night (imagin pulling the eyes out of frogs and tadpoles just to find that out!).
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:58 pm

My roommates (identical twins) lost their mother to cancer when they were just sixteen years old. If the scientists have to kill a thousand rabbits to find a cure for that disease, then I will support them. There is an alternative to animal testing in SOME areas of medical research, but it is usually much more expensive. And the more money you save, the more lives you save.

I believe that animals should be treated with kindness and respect, and they certainly shouldn't be used in cosmetic experiments or just to satisfy idle curiosity, but where medicine is concerned...do it.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:31 am

Testing animals for medical purposes is good because animals have a lot of the same metabolic reactions to medications as we do. Especially when you look at rats, you may not be able to tell that they are closely related to humans metabolically speaking, but they are. That's why any experiment done on a rat would be valid because it could someday help cure a human being. If it were not for animal medical testing, we would not have cures for some diseases today. Testing cancer products on rats and other animals has helped us a lot in trying to find a cure. There could be a cure in the future if testing keeps up. Having an uncle who died of cancer and knowing people who have gone through it makes me want those animals to be tested so we can cure more people of this disease. My uncle had schizophrenia as well and they test psychotic drugs on animals that they use on people for those kinds of diseases. Just think, we wouldn't have many of the medicines like Prozac, Anaphranil, Tylenol, Excedrin, Ritalin, and many other drugs used to help people if it weren't for those animals being tested. I love animals very much (I have had pets for most of my life-ten hermit crabs, 2 chameleons, a few fish, a newt, and a dog), but even though I thought of them as brothers and sisters, I don't think that an animal life is more important than a human life. If it came to the situation where my sister was going to die without medication that was used on a dog, I would want her to take the medication regardless of the fact that it was tested on a dog because I love her very, very much!
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Debate Forum