Designer Babies

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

What do you think of 'designer babies'?

It's wrong
47%
It's fine
No votes
It's only acceptable for medical reasons
53%

Total votes : 30

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:25 am

parnassus wrote:
I also think we will probably not be able to cure everything. Just look at how we tried to vaccinate the flu. There are worse strains out now than there were before now.

I go with the gist of what you say, Shanna, but I think you use a weak example. The flu vaccine is extremely effective. It may not cure influenza or the common cold, but it is one of the best preventative measures we have, and for this reason it is compulsory at most boarding schools and strongly recommended at universities across the UK.

I was just thinking of the Bird Flu epidemic. Plus, a lot of the girls on my floor are getting sick with this weird flu virus. One girl was sent to the hospital last week and hasn't appeared to have come back yet. :( I do agree, however that vaccines are good in helping prevent certain viruses like the flu.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Designer Babies

Postby Bruce » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:22 pm

It's wrong. +if you choose the sex of a baby they might end up transgender.
Bruce
Forum Master

Postby Paddington » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:46 pm

I think its only acceptable for medical conditions like aids if the child is going to be borne with a horrible medical condition then surely it would be better to take away the gene that causes this problem? I only think it is ok for really bad conditions, learning disabilities wouldn't count as to us they are serous and rightly so because we have them but compared to aids the wider world wouldn't think so and there has to be limits if it is going to seriously effect the child then why not we could wipe out certain genetic problems and it would make life so much easier for some people who suffer every day.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:13 pm

AIDS is not caused by genes-the HIV virus is passed on to babies through their mother's bodily fluids, particularly during the birth process. I agree with the rest of your post but I just wanted to clarify that AIDS is not genetic.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Paddington » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Ok sorry but I meant that sort of problematic illness as in really serious
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:25 am

OK no worries.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:32 pm

It's a hard one to call. It really depends on the situation but I definitely agree with it when it is for extreme medical reasons.
Remus
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Debate Forum