Designer Babies

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

What do you think of 'designer babies'?

It's wrong
47%
It's fine
No votes
It's only acceptable for medical reasons
53%

Total votes : 30

Designer Babies

Postby C » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:26 pm

What do you think about parents being able to choose the sex, hair colour eye colour, intelligence of their child?

I think 'designer babies' are wrong, it should be up to nature to make its own choice. Babies should be loved unconditionally whether they are boys or girls. However I think it's okay for couples to choose the gender of their baby for medical reasons, for example some inherited conditions only occur in boys and a couple who carry the gene for these conditions choosing to have a girl is okay.
Last edited by C on Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby carrie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:13 pm

completely against as to know whats gonna be genetics of the baby it has to be fertilised and to me thats a baby and in the future you copuld be able to gett rid of your baby because its got CF CP or even cause its gonna be dyspraxic......
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby fuzzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:29 pm

I think its fine for medical reasons but nothing else- yes you will love your child unconditionally, no one is saying that you wont- but this is as much about the kid as it is about the parents. If you knew your kid was gonna be blind, would you not have genes manipulated to solve the problem? I think its selfish if you dont- think of the child's quality of life! All parents want is for thier child to be happy, and if by manipulating thier genes is going to improve thier quality of life/ lifespan etc, then they should totoally do it! I cant believe ppl make out that it is immoral when it could save that baby's life! However, Im not so sure on actaully designing a child for cosmetic reasons etc... its a kid, not a pair of trousers from Harvey Nicks!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby carrie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:08 pm

i get you that health is important but still not sure as it can go to far like you said a pair of trousers
smile it could be worse

carrie

carrie
Forum Master

Postby fuzzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:10 pm

I guess that its not just about ethics, its about how sceintists are willing develop and use thier technology.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby carrie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:12 pm

exactly its alll about what their willing to do and the money they can get paid to do it
smile it could be worse

carrie

carrie
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:37 pm

I voted that it is wrong because I think that differences are what makes the world cool and that I would not trade my differences for anything. :D I understand how people would not want to have a deaf baby or a blind baby, but I think there will be other ways of curing those types of differences in the future.

However, I am all for the in-vitro stuff if you absolutely can't have a baby. For instance, Lance Armstrong couldn't have kids because he lost all his reproductive cells in chemo. But since he went to a sperm bank before he had chemo, he was able to have kids through in-vitro. I don't think it is right to deny people with medical conditions that prevent them to have children the right to have them. Although, some people use in-vitro as a way to create designer babies. I think that is extremely wrong. :( In other words, it is not right to make designer babies, but it is okay to have in-vitro. :)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby madame_tigre » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:38 pm

I think designer babies should only be used for medical reasons, but only extremely severe medical problems - other than that I think nature should decide what the baby looks like.

Another thing that annoys me is people trying to give people with Downs Syndrome plastic surgery. For starters, I don't think people with DS look unattractive, and besides it would only change their appearance not the illness itself which is a lot worse!

I know I'm going slightly off-topic, but it's one of my many habits. Sorry.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:22 pm

Shanna- why put a kid through that? Why not genetically enigneer them to have no medical/ genetic faults so that they wont have to a have a childhood/ life phlighted by treatments and operations to cure a condition the could have been prevented before birth? Its less hassel that way for the child, the parents, and for the NHS to deal with.

Although as I said beofre I think that the whole concept of designed babies can go too far, I still think that its absolutley amazing that it can be done- that humans now have that much power and control over bringing a living creature into the world. Wev been given the chance to play God, the ability to manipulate a buch of cells into anything we want..... I think its kinda cool! But- its human nature to be power hungary. If we get given that role as God, we wont want to hand it back, and thats when the whole thing could get really out of hand. Yes, its a sceintific miracle (oohh I like that oxymoron) but we need to use it for medical purposes only.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby fuzzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:25 pm

Also- Madam tigre- For me its not just a cosmetic issue- I dont think that gentic engineering should be used for something as vain as what we look like (apart from extreme cases, like medical conditions that alter your appearnace severly) as this would be a waste of valuable money (it wont come cheap), resources and skill. It should be used to improve ppl's quality of life as thats gonna be expensive and time consuming enough!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

designer

Postby k9ruby » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:32 pm

I think its ok for those with EXTREME medical reasons (eg, Musculer Dystropy) as it would increase thy're quality of life, but I think designing the 'perfect baby' is wrong, because 1000's of £'s could be put in, and then years after , they're perfect child is involved in a RTA and suffers severe brain damage
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby carrie » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:58 pm

yeah and anyway whats normal and whats perfect its all opinion
smile it could be worse

carrie

carrie
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:35 pm

fuzzy wrote:Shanna- why put a kid through that? Why not genetically enigneer them to have no medical/ genetic faults so that they wont have to a have a childhood/ life phlighted by treatments and operations to cure a condition the could have been prevented before birth? Its less hassel that way for the child, the parents, and for the NHS to deal with.

Although as I said beofre I think that the whole concept of designed babies can go too far, I still think that its absolutley amazing that it can be done- that humans now have that much power and control over bringing a living creature into the world. Wev been given the chance to play God, the ability to manipulate a buch of cells into anything we want..... I think its kinda cool! But- its human nature to be power hungary. If we get given that role as God, we wont want to hand it back, and thats when the whole thing could get really out of hand. Yes, its a sceintific miracle (oohh I like that oxymoron) but we need to use it for medical purposes only.

I am sort of on the fence with all these things. I think in-vitro is great, but when it comes to doing too much of it, I agree with you. People are too power hungry sometimes. I sort of agree with you that designer stuff should be done if you want it too. I just think that people may go too far. I have seen the movie Gattaca, which is an excellent example of going too far with these sorts of things. If you have not seen it, you should watch it. I really liked it, although I am into biology and techie stuff like that. :lol:

The movie stars Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, and Jude Law. Hawke plays what we would call a pretty normal human in a world where designer babies are the only ones accepted. He dreams of going into outer space, but can't because he has a heart defect (this is where I think that it may be okay to have designer babies). His little brother is a designer baby who can basically do anything he wants, but, unlike Ethan, is not a very strong or brave person. The movie shows, through its 5 main characters, that even though we are trying to perfect human beings, it can go too far. People start thinking that they are absolutley perfect in the movie, and then they make a mistake and start feeling like they don't fit into the world because everyone else is perfection. :(
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:37 pm

i say no unless for medical reason liek say tif there siblign had a medical congdtion then its ok btu i think its rong other wise!!
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:30 pm

I think It's wrong.
Earlier Someone siad somthing about them being Blind and/or deaf. If you lose a sense your other senses get stronger/better. Deaf people, although they can't hear, they often know sighn language and can lip read. Blind people May not be able to see, but they can still read and wright (ever heard of braile?), and athough there are lots of things they can't do (Like watch T.V), they could still enjoy Life, if they wanted.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to Debate Forum