Designer Babies

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

What do you think of 'designer babies'?

It's wrong
47%
It's fine
No votes
It's only acceptable for medical reasons
53%

Total votes : 30

Postby parnassus » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:39 pm

I agree with 'designer babies' for CERTAIN medical reasons. If your child is going to be born with a killer condition that means it will only survive one month, by all means cure the child before it enters the world. It's no different to curing the child after birth. But if your child is going to be born with dyslexia, or even blindness - no way. You can't die from dyslexia. You can't die from blindness. The world needs people with different perceptions and it would be morally wrong to try and give everyone a 'perfect' body. I know a girl who was inspired to become a black belt in karate precisely because she's blind and was determined to see what she could do with her other senses. She is as offended by pity as I am. If it's a question of life or death, genetically modify the baby. If it's a question - a frightening question - of life as you (the parent) know it or a radically different life, ride with the second.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:56 pm

Yes. Only for medical reasons, though. Nature's way always seems to be better than the meddling human way...
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:56 pm

parnassus wrote:I agree with 'designer babies' for CERTAIN medical reasons. If your child is going to be born with a killer condition that means it will only survive one month, by all means cure the child before it enters the world. It's no different to curing the child after birth. But if your child is going to be born with dyslexia, or even blindness - no way. You can't die from dyslexia. You can't die from blindness.

If the child won't live long without being cured, o.k, It's alright. I agree with Vicky.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:06 pm

Doesn't everyone? :wink:
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:00 pm

Sadly not. If they did, my university tutorials would be the proverbial piece of cake.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:59 pm

This is surprising. Oh well...
I have no persuasion power whatsoever.
pinkparrot

Postby fuzzy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:07 pm

Vicky- I thot your tutoaials would be a peice of cake anyway, with that brain of yours?! :wink:
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:16 pm

Unfortunately, my professors have bigger ones than I do!
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:23 pm

I'm in shock!
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:34 pm

Well, this is Cambridge. I would be shocked if they didn't.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:35 pm

I see what you mean. I am not used to the idea of teachers being smart!
pinkparrot

Postby sumer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:35 pm

back to the subject

i dont no about u but i no that if i was blind and at birth i would of been able to have something done to me so i could of been able to see i would of done it but that is my opinion
sumer
Forum Master

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:40 pm

Of course cure if there's a way to. Cure but not kill.
pinkparrot

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:31 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:
parnassus wrote:I agree with 'designer babies' for CERTAIN medical reasons. If your child is going to be born with a killer condition that means it will only survive one month, by all means cure the child before it enters the world. It's no different to curing the child after birth. But if your child is going to be born with dyslexia, or even blindness - no way. You can't die from dyslexia. You can't die from blindness.

If the child won't live long without being cured, o.k, It's alright. I agree with Vicky.

If you can live a long time and have an enjoyable life, then it is not okay. But, if you need to have, let's say a new heart, to live and you are a younger person who has not lived their life, then I think you should be able to get some kind of cure. I don't think designer babies are the only answer to our problems though. I also think we will probably not be able to cure everything. Just look at how we tried to vaccinate the flu. There are worse strains out now than there were before now. I think that humans will realize that we can't control everything. Some things just happen and we can't do anything about it. :( Sorry to say that, but it's the way it is. If I had my way, I'd cure all the disease in the world, but I don't know if that can happen. I agree with the above comments by Vicky and chocolatefudgecake. 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:46 pm

I also think we will probably not be able to cure everything. Just look at how we tried to vaccinate the flu. There are worse strains out now than there were before now.

I go with the gist of what you say, Shanna, but I think you use a weak example. The flu vaccine is extremely effective. It may not cure influenza or the common cold, but it is one of the best preventative measures we have, and for this reason it is compulsory at most boarding schools and strongly recommended at universities across the UK.
parnassus
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum