Capital Punishment

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Do you agree with capital punishment?

yes, for many crimes
5%
yes, for murder
5%
yes, for murder of children only
No votes
no
90%

Total votes : 21

Capital Punishment

Postby C » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:28 pm

The death penalty for murder was abolished nearly 40 years ago by the Murder (Abolition of Death Penalty) Act 1965, and replaced with a mandatory life sentence. The passing of the Act followed a great deal of debate both inside and outside Parliament over the death penalty.

The death penalty was retained for the capital offences of treason and piracy with violence, however it was abolished in 1998 under the Crime and Disorder Act.

In 1999 the home secretary signed the sixth protocol of the European Convention of Human Rights which formally abolished the death penalty in the UK and ensured it could not be brought back.

* source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/crime/law/answers/ ... alty.shtml

In my view the death penalty should never be brought back for four reasons:

1. The dealth penalty kills innocent people

There's no guarentee that the person dying has commited the crime. They may be innocent. It does happen. Also murder is hard to prove and people who have commited manslaughter may be wrongly convicted of murder. The family of the person who is to suffer the death penalty also go through hell.

2. Life imprisonment could be considered worse than the death penalty

The death penalty is over quicker. Life is for life. I believe imprisonment, in some cases, should be tougher. People who have murdered children, for example, deserve to spend the rest of their life rotting in jail, not dying a relatively quick death

3. The Death penalty favours rich, white people

The rich can afford good defense lawyers. The poor cannot. And in some states where the death penalty is still legal, black people make up 90% of the people on death row.

4. There's just something wrong with people killing other people

That's just how I feel. Imagine being an executor only to find that the person you executed was innocent. Does that make you guilty of murder? Should you now face capital punihsment?
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:45 pm

But the fact is, life isnt for life. Not in the UK, anyway- it is in America. In the UK, life means 15 years but you can cut your sentence by YEARS for good behaviour. The prison sytem in this country is appalling- judges are far too lenient. Life should be life! If you brutally murder someone, you should not be given a second chance- simple as that. Maybe if our prison sytsem was harsher, crime would be much lower becuse the consiequences would be worse to face up to!

I dont agree with the death penalty either; it is, in my eyes, immoral. The US try and sugar coat the process, by claiming that the lethal injection (Only used in some states- some still use the electric chair which is slow and painfull) is 'humane'. Tell me, what exactly is humane about taking another human's life? Bloody hypocrits; they condem ppl to death for murder but also send out the statement that killing is wrong!! No wonder Americas so screwed! Myabe if they got rid of guns that areyeilded at any oppurtunity in the streets, they wouldnt have such a big problem with murder! Or, if they stopped treating blacks like 2nd class citizens and improved the deprived socio-economic backgrounds that the vast majority of them grow up in, theyd have an education and wouldnt have to result to crime and violence to achive the so called 'American Dream'.

So, to round up as Iv gone slighly off topic here, I dont agree with the death penalty but I also dont think that the prison system over here is adequete- life should mean life!!!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby carrie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:06 pm

agree with you both its to easy to make mistakes so death sentences dont work but better justice systems should exist 12 years for murder which is often what is served is not fair or enough
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby fuzzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:35 pm

Totally; criminals are locked up for a reason. The Justice System (or court system) has a responsablility not only to ensure that the criminal pays for what he/she has done, but also to protect the rest of society! Lenient sentencing leads a great deal towards second time offending: Criminals know how to play the system and that even if they are caught, they'll be given a slap on the hand. Again. I dont think that your sentence should be reduced either for good behaviour- your not locked up to earn brownie points and golden stars- your in there to pay a price for breaking the law, and whatever sentence you get, you should serve it no matter how nice you are to the prison gaurds.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:13 pm

If it is proven that the justice system made a mistake, one or two or ten or a hundred years after the crime, it's impossible to resurrect the person concerned. Wrong conviction has happened in the past on a frighteningly frequent basis.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:24 pm

I don't agree with capital punishment, mainly because the justice system can make mistakes. Just imagine, if Capital Punishment was still legal in the UK then Sally Clark, Angela Cannings and all those other woman who were wrongly accused of murdering their beloved babies would have been killed. There are more examples than this, but this is the biggest one that I can think of. Grrr I hate Roy Meadow! I know he's lost the title of a Doctor, but I think he deserves inprisonment to see how he likes it!

In most cases I think life inprisonment should mean life unless proven innocent. I sure hope that Ian Huntley is never freed!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:27 pm

Well hes got to serve at least 40 years and lets hope that the Justice system doesnt screw up and relaese him early. I hope he rots in jail.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:10 am

First of all, people are sometimes not in their right mind when they commit such acts that we in society regard as "unlawful." I don't think that they need death, but they need therapy! What good will it do that person to sit on death row for 40 years and just go more insane and then die? It's not helping them at all. I was raised in the belief that all people should help others and I don't think that our government (USA) is helping those people by puting them in jail and then killing them. Sure, maybe the world is better off without the likes of Timothy McVey (Oklahoma City Bomber) and others who have recieved the penalty here, but I think that maybe Timothy could have gotten help and become a better person if the US had been willing to do it. I believe everyone can be good deep down inside, even Osama bin Laden or Adolf Hitler. I know it sounds crazy, but we were all innocent babies at one point in time. I know there are people who are medically proven to be without a conscience, but I still don't think they deserve to die for that. Instead they should have some guidance, maybe community service or something. They need to have someone to tell them what is right from wrong if they can't do it on their own. I don't think death is the only way.

Death Row is sometimes used unfairly too. I don't remember the statistics off my head, but a lot of people on death row should not even be there. It's unfair if you are there and you didn't even commit a crime that deserves you to be there! For instance, some people are drug dealers and they get life in prison or death row while others only get about four years! It's not fair that the ones on death row should die while others who had similar offenses should live! Some people are innocent too and they still get on death row. For instance, there was a guy who was on it for supposedly killing a person when it was really his IDENTICAL TWIN who did it. The DNA test was taken twice and the second time the looked they realized that the guy had a twin he hadn't really told them about (either because he didn't know his twin did it or because he didn't know his twin existed) and the guy was able to get off. But, it is unfair that he had to wait that long in prison. Who would want to be tortured by the horrors of the prison (lonliness, rape, killings, and drug deals, etc.) if they didn't commit the crime? :( Nobody would want to be killed for something they didn't do or something that they didn't really have the understanding that they were doing.

Note: some people up there, namely Hitler, McVey, and bin Laden knew exactly what they were doing and I just think that they needed therapy to find a good person inside, not the death penalty. No one deserves that.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Debate Forum