Vegetarianism

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby Miranda » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:34 am

Don't worry
Theyre just a (possibly deadly) annoyance
We're off topic
"I may not agree with your opinion, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Miranda
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:52 am

carrie wrote:Im not a vegetarian because i ike the taste of meat!!!

i haVent a problem with it just have a idea that i couldnt be

Me too. I could never ever give up turkey on Thanksgiving!!! :D MMMM one of my favorite holidays and it's coming up soon!!! :D A few of my friends are vegetarians and it's all right with me. I could never do it and I am proud of them for having the ability to do it. One of them has been one since she was 10! She said it was just because she didn't like meat so she quit eating it, but she does like animals a lot too! 8) It is hard to be a vegetarian in the cafeteria here because most of the food is not vegetarian and if it is, it is greasy and kind of gross! My friend wants to change that and she has been trying to for about a year now... We'll see if they improve any throughout our college years! *crosses fingers* 8) I think it is cool that people who like meat but don't want to eat animals have enough willpower to give up what they like for the animal friend, because I couldn't! :D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:08 pm

I am vegetarian. In a way I understand what you're saying. Once you're in you're in! I still think eating dead animals is gross but I tolerate it. I have been vegetarian since I was born so it's easier. What I hate most of all is that when I say I am a vegetarian, people nearly always respond with "Do you eat fish?", I mean fish are not dead! They are animals, and I am a vegetarian. I don't get it...
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:35 am

I am a vegetarian, too. I've been veggie for just less than a year now.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Kym » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:38 am

Hm. I'm Vegan, which is the even more radical extent of a vegetarian. No animal products - period.
I respect peoples choice to eat meat, I even see the logic behind it. It is 'natural' to be omniverous, but the way in which humanity has grown to accomodate this is so far from natural it's not funny. The food chain (is supposed to) work like this.
*Little happy herbivores run around in their natural enviroment,*
*Big strong meat eaters chase, kill and consume.*
*One less little happy animal. Life continues.*

On the other hand, you have this.

(These sites graphically portray injured, suffering, dead and dying animals. This is your warning.)
www.meetyourmeat.com
www.freetheanimals.com

Billions of filthy sheds stuffed with animals, quietly waiting all their life to be slaughtered is not natural. Eating meat is just 'normal.'
It's a thing called quality of life, and also pain. If these souls that pack our supermarkets had a real existence, I would never have another quarrel about consuming flesh.

One would think then, that a animal in good conditions and killed humanely I would eat, but another body of thought rings true in my mind also,
Do we have to kill to live?
The fact that another creature is slaughtered, and goes through the pain of death, not for my health - But for my satisfaction.

And one more thing.
Animals you would eat -
Sheep, duck, goat, pig, cow, deer, chicken..

Animals you wouldn't -
Dog, lion, snake, eagle, shark..

The difference is, obviously, herbivore and carnivore.
The lives and pain of these two groups are equal, just as important as the next. Cattle don't have a special nerve numbing agent to stop them feeling the effect of torture, just because they're going to deal with it.
The only segregation of these animals is in your mind, because your own natural instincts tell you that one kind you can take down and eat, and the other group is going to eat you.

I will also point out I am a funny mix of Pagan and Hindu/Buddhism, so I see all life, pain and feeling as equal, once you look past the physical body that experiances it. Think about it, if you were suddenly small and fluffy, and I trod on you.. In all likely-hood it would hurt more as a result.

I guess I just don't understand how people can dismiss pain as trivial simply because it isn't their own.

:(

* End Rant

Kym
Kym

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:17 am

But animals eat eachother too so why can't we eat animals?
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:42 am

I think we are supposed to be more responsible and/or intelligent than animals. I could never eat a dead animal because it killed an innocent being.
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:26 am

Shanna, I think Kym's point is that we are cruel to animals before killing them. A tiger doesn't lock a deer up in a filthy, overcrowded deer-shed that reeks of excrement, feed it on mass produced food-pellets that probably have the nutritional value of my shoe, and then kill it. I agree with Kym in that the way we slaughter animals is unethical. It is only done for the sake of cost-effectiveness. This is why I take care to buy free-range meat products if I can, as that means the animal will have had some quality of life.

Looking back, I should have been vegetarian at boarding school and I definitely should be veggie at Cambridge as there is no way an institution will provide free-range meat. That's something to think about.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:58 pm

That is why I am vegetarian. My family can't afford free-range meat, but we can afford quorn.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby pinkparrot » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:59 pm

I couldn't imagine eating meat! You should have seen me on bonfire night! I have never given such a lecture before...
pinkparrot

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:49 am

You have more willpower than me. I miss eating meat... :(
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:25 pm

I have never eaten meat. That is the reason.
pinkparrot

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:26 pm

Are your family vegetarians as well?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:37 pm

Yes.
pinkparrot

Postby Joss1991 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:19 pm

i started to be a vegitarine a while ago which wasnt hard as not much of my family eat much meat but now and then i have carvings for me (especially at xmas) but i dont like much meat so before i was a vegitarine i only ate chicken like every fornight. I use none animals testing products as well as i dont think we should be cruil to animas.
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum