Vegetarianism

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby kitty_cute » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:54 pm

I do eat meat, but like Vicky, I travel to Tescos with my parents, helping them choose carefully what meat to buy, making sure its free range.

I believe eating meat is natural, as its how the food chain works, however, I think slaughtering should be done in the must humaine way possible. I looked on the sites Kym gave out, and some of the standards are shocking. Is this infomation from around the world, or just Amercia? I live in a farming area in Devon, and I have never seen anything like this.
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:09 pm

That's because members of the public are rarely invited inside an abbatoir, Daz. That information is pretty accurate.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby kitty_cute » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:26 pm

I guess so. However, although these sites are shocking, I think some of infomation is from the worst they're seen about the farming, not what goes on usually. Not where Im from anyway, Ive grown up around it.

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby david456 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:04 am

I always buy free range, the prices are near the others now, but I'd rather pay the extra and know that everything is humane.
I guess natuarally some animals are meat eaters and some aren't and it is the circle of life. Lions will kill for food, so will crocs, where as some other animals eat leaves and grass.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby invisifish » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:03 pm

i have been vegi syns i was ten, but it was realy dificult to become vegi cus i used to love the tast of meat, but i am a very deturmind person.
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:55 pm

I guess natuarally some animals are meat eaters and some aren't and it is the circle of life. Lions will kill for food, so will crocs, where as some other animals eat leaves and grass.

The difference between a human and a crocodile is that crocodiles are carnivores: they have to eat meat to survive. We are omnivores, and could quite well get along without it. There is a strong moral case for vegetarianism, that I concede, but...the flesh is weak. :oops: I'll give it my best shot during Lent.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:13 pm

Some people need to eat meat. People with food allergies have very restricted diets, and may need meat. Also, people in the third world often have limited food supplies, and have to eat whatever they can get, including meat. However, neither of these arguments apply to me, so I am vegetarian.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Page » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:08 pm

I eat a lot of meat. I love it.

I don't have a problem with vegeterians/vegans in general, just the activist ones that think that its their personal crusade to convert everyone. As for those nutjobs in PETA... don't even get me started on them.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby kitty_cute » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:48 pm

I hate animal cruelty. But its part of the food chain to eat animals. Its just how it works.

With the animal cruelty videos, Im sure they pick the worst ones to show, to shock people. Because I didnt find some of the infomation correct on the farming.... they said it was like every farm treated animals like that.... thats not true.

But yes, animals should be treated with respect.

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Joss1991 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:51 pm

for those of you that say that its part of the food chain to eat meat , i will try and explain why i think differently. Animals that are carnivorse have to eat to survive but humans who are ominivorse dont have to eat meat to survive. Therefore i think that its crulety eating meat when we have a choice.
the darker it is the more stars you can see
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby Kentigern » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:45 pm

I'm afraid I see no problem with eating meat. I will happily eat meat, and don't feel guilty doing so. I do agree though that as far as possible animals killed for consumption should be killed quickly and ethically.

Jews and Muslims will eat Kosher and Halhal meat only. Part of the rational behind this is that the animal must be in good health before it is killed, and that it must be killed with as little pain and suffering to the animal as possible. I see this as a good thing. The history of it is complex, and relates back ultimately (at least inj the Jewish case) to eating hygenicaly in the Desert.

I do not believe that animals and humans have equal status. Humans have free will, and have the potential when functioning correctly to freely and deliberatley choose a course of action over another. All humans are capable of choosing to love. I would never eat another human being because I believe every human (whether unborn, ill, well, or dying) is of equal status to me.

Animals on the other hand do not have free will, cannot deliberately choose one course of action over another. Animals cannot freely choose to love and don't have the potential to do so. Animals are of lesser status then humans. As long as we act responsibly and ethicaly (and don't drive species to extinction), I think it is perfectly acceptable to eat meat.

While we are freely capable of choosing not to eat meat, it is not in accordance with the way we have evolved, and (for me) it doesn't seem natural not to eat meat. To choose not to eat meat (and I respect peoples choices not to) is to choose to do something that is possible but unnatural.

I understand that some people are unable to eat meat. It seems to me that it would be natural for such people not to eat meat. All I am saying is that if we are able to eat meat, I see no moral arguments against eating meat.
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby Bladen » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:09 pm

when it comes to not wanting to eat meat, fine, it's a choice there.
I disagree when people go over the top and refuse to drink milk, eat eggs, fish or any animal related food product. Plus Soya milk is sickening.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:21 pm

carrie wrote:Im not a vegetarian because i ike the taste of meat!!!

i haVent a problem with it just have a idea that i couldnt be

Yeah, I love meat. Plus, i hate veggies. I don't have a problem with vegetarianism. I think it might be a good idea for those who don't like meat. For me, I can't help but like it so I just give thanks for the animal's life every time I eat it. I think it's okay to eat meat because it is a part of the food chain and we are omnivores by nature, but it's okay to be vegetarian too. Just we need to respect the animal that gave us the meat by being thankful to him/her just as any other animal would be grateful for its food.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby invisifish » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:07 pm

I have very stronge opinions on this, and i will post them later, but at the moment im ment to be doing homework...
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

Postby mattie » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:17 pm

I'd like to become a vegetarian at some point in the future but it just seems too hard at the moment.

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum