Vegetarianism

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby invisifish » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:57 pm

I am vegitarian, it was very hard for me because I was and still am a very fussy eater and i used to mostly eat meat. I loved the tast and gelatine sweets were very hard to give up aswel. Most peoples arguments are that it is part of the food chain and nature ment it. but did nature meen for people to go round in cars and ride other animals? I think humans are no longer part of the natural world and we have the abilaty not to eat meat. i think, if we dident live in houses and hunted like animals it would be ok to eat meat, but humans are no longer like that. some people say that animals dont have feelings, and that killing them dosent mater. if a more inteligent creature took over the earth and started farming us, saying because they were more inteligent we had no fealings and they could eat us, we would not be happy and we would think it was not fair, i read a book that had something of and example of that happening quite reasently. I have argued with loads of people about this. but im not nesasaraly right, this is just my opinion and i'm not trying to hamer it in to your heads, i just want you to consider it.
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

Postby Joss1991 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:56 am

i agree with you on everything you said but im already a vegitarian
the darker it is the more stars you can see
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:14 pm

invisifish wrote:I am vegitarian, it was very hard for me because I was and still am a very fussy eater and i used to mostly eat meat. I loved the tast and gelatine sweets were very hard to give up aswel. Most peoples arguments are that it is part of the food chain and nature ment it. but did nature meen for people to go round in cars and ride other animals? I think humans are no longer part of the natural world and we have the abilaty not to eat meat. i think, if we dident live in houses and hunted like animals it would be ok to eat meat, but humans are no longer like that. some people say that animals dont have feelings, and that killing them dosent mater. if a more inteligent creature took over the earth and started farming us, saying because they were more inteligent we had no fealings and they could eat us, we would not be happy and we would think it was not fair, i read a book that had something of and example of that happening quite reasently. I have argued with loads of people about this. but im not nesasaraly right, this is just my opinion and i'm not trying to hamer it in to your heads, i just want you to consider it.

I see your point. It was very well made and I wish I could be a vegetarian. I agree with some of the things you said, but I just can't see myself not eating meat. I hate vegetables so much that I gag while eating them. To me, that wouldn't be fun to be doing all the time. I do believe that animals have feelings, but I also physically have problems eating veggies so I can't be a vegetarian. Plus, I don't know where I would get all my protein from then. I agree that our society has changed and that we do have a choice whether to kill animals or not, but I just can't eat all veggies at this point in time. I don't think that killing animals doesn't matter. It does. But I fear that I'll starve if I have to live on veggies and fruit alone since veggies make me want to puke most of the time.

Finally, even though we are living in an industrialized world, aren't we still living in a natural world to some extent? I mean, we are still creatures from the natural world, we just live in houses. I don't think we have really evolved all that much from being cavemen since sometimes we act just as dumb as we used to be. Some of our biological tendencies have stayed throughout those years and that includes a taste for meat. That doesn't mean that we can't change ourselves, but it just means that we still are somewhat the creatures we used to be. I know that I can't be a vegetarian right now because I revolt at the site of veggies, but maybe in the future I will be able to. I hope this arguement makes sense and I hope everyone knows I'm not trying to offend anybody. :D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:56 pm

I'm not a vegetarian, I never inteand to be as I love meat. This is going to sound harsh but I have never really been bothered about the connection bettween the fluffy lambs in the feilds and the tasty lamb on my plate. I was perfectly aware of it from the age of about three, It just doesn't bother me.
I try to eat ethically now, no battery hens or eggs, no dutch veel, that sort of thing. Now that I'm trying to do this I supose I can't have frois grais.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby invisifish » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:25 pm

I dont like most vegetable ether, but i can eat some so it dosent mater much. as for protein, my mum gets me loads of diferent tipes of vegie burgers and some tast nearly as good as meat, and you can get vegie hot dogs and other things to. one of the reasons i think people arent part of nature any more is because we can say no to are instingts. if we need teh loo, we can hold it for a bit, there are other examples, but again, im meant to be doing homework.
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:50 pm

invisifish wrote:I dont like most vegetable ether, but i can eat some so it dosent mater much. as for protein, my mum gets me loads of diferent tipes of vegie burgers and some tast nearly as good as meat, and you can get vegie hot dogs and other things to. one of the reasons i think people arent part of nature any more is because we can say no to are instingts. if we need teh loo, we can hold it for a bit, there are other examples, but again, im meant to be doing homework.

I see now. 8)

I can eat some veggies without any problem, but these I have trouble with. I think it's because of their weird texture:

Tomatos (actually a fruit, I know but I don't care)
Broccolli
Green Beans
Peas
Cauliflower
cooked carrots
Artichokes
Esparagus (sp?)
Lima Beans
Peppers
There are more but I can't think of them now.
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Spoon girl » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:07 pm

I agree with invisifish on this one. I've been a vegetarian since I was 7. I am the only vegetarian in my family.

What annoys me the most is when people say
"We've worked hard to get to hte top of the food chain"
because
1)we as a generation have had nothing to do with it. No one worked for it, it happened through evolution and
2) the food chain should go
Carnivore>carnivore>herbivore>plant
not
carnivore>tesco>?
I see no justice in eating something you haven't worked for. Locking animals up for hte sole purpose of sending them in plastic wrapping to supermarkets for people to eat is not working for your food.
Other say that the world would be over run with animals if we didn't eat them but I don't believe this is true as most of the meat people eat is bred specifically for that purpose.
If a doctor told me tommorrow I have to eat meat to live I would eat meat (free range) but I see no reason for me to partake in something so unatural as eating meat that naturally appears on my plate as if from nowhere.

An interesting fact for anyone who wants to become a vegetarian but is worried about health implications.

Quorn actually contains more protein than meat
The capacity of the body is limited
Yours, mine, everybody's
But the capacity of the soul is unlimited
Your's, mine, everybody's
Spoon girl
Mega Poster

Postby Lucy_Rush » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:37 pm

Hi. i am a vegetarian. i gave it up for lent one year a few years ago and never ate it really again after that. My reasons are that i don't think i could ever kill an animal for the sole reason of being to eat it. So eating an animal that someone else has killed for the sole purpose of being for you to eat it; well effectively it is you that killed that animal - coz you were the reason behind it happening. So really i see it as you are denying that you did it, and lying to yourself. Well anyway, my explaining doesnt make much sense because i dont really know how to describe it. but thats kinda what i think.

i don't really have any problems with people eating meat if they could kill an animal solely for the purpose of eating it and then eat it with no problems.

But for me, i don't think i could ever kill an animal just to eat it - so i don't want to eat meat whilst just 'pretending' that i didnt kill some thing for it to end up on my plate.

Anyway, we can survive perfectly well eating a vegetarian diet - so why not.

p.s. i have no objections to the rest of everyone who does eat meat - we all have free will to choose what-ever we want - but i've just attempted to explain why i've chose what i did. :D
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:53 pm

Hi. i am a vegetarian. i gave it up for lent one year a few years ago and never ate it really again after that.

Lent? Lucy, are you Catholic? If so...join the club! There are hordes of us around here! :D

(If you're from another church that also keeps Lent, join the club anyway!)
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:28 pm

Locking animals up for hte sole purpose of sending them in plastic wrapping to supermarkets for people to eat is not working for your food.

What about the people who actually raise the animals? They are working for their food just as much as people who raise corn or beans. And not every food company is like KFC and treats their chickens badly.

I'm not against vegetarianism. I would be a vegetarian if I actually could eat the food without being grossed out. I do find it interesting though how we kill some animals but don't kill others. Like how we wouldn't ever eat our dogs, but we'll kill a pig (who has the same intelligence and personality). Yeah, I don't agree with the killing, but I find it physically impossible as of right now for me to eat only veggies.

Question: Are any of you vegans? [/quote]
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:21 pm

I do find it interesting though how we kill some animals but don't kill others. Like how we wouldn't ever eat our dogs, but we'll kill a pig (who has the same intelligence and personality).

I think that's a cultural issue. A lot of Koreans, for example, are quite happy to kill and eat dogs. Dogs are just like beef cows to them.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Lucy_Rush » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:48 pm

Lent? Lucy, are you Catholic? If so...join the club! There are hordes of us around here!

i'm a christian - so i attempt to give something up for lent but usually fail after a couple of days. that was probably my only probably successfull one!
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:36 am

I fast from meat and confectionary during Lent - or I try to. :oops: Like you, I sometimes slip up. I often find it is easier to go without food altogether than to abstain from certain things.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:44 pm

I've given up pop for Lent successfully and I've given up chocolate for Lent successfully. I don't know if I could give up movies, but I'm sure I could probably give up meat for a little while. I'd just have to eat a lot of bread and fruit since I hate veggies.
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:04 pm

I've just recently converted to Vegetarianism,as I grew older I was able to decide that I didn't want to eat meat anymore.

I don't really miss meat,and the only reason that I gave up meat was the because of the cruelty the animal recieved beforehand.I think it is really cruel, to do this to an animal but I don't despise people that eat meat.

Also what I hate is products being tested on animals.How can companies live with themselves for testing their lipstick on an animal? Or any make-up product ect.

Thats why,if I ever wear make-up I choose the products very carefully.If you are against it as well,you should look on the back of packets,boxes and containers.I am saying this because I agree strongly with some campaigners against animal testing.

I'm not really sure about medicines being tested on animals.I suppose its okay,If you want to save someones life.

Not if you want to make yourself superthin in two days with the latest dieting pills..I know other people have different opinions,but please check on all labels before you use a product.

If you want to use a product that has not been used and tested on animals log onto www.lush.co.uk a beautiful range of handmade soaps,conditioners and shampoos.A perfect gift at Christmas for someone who is simply against animal testing.
Last edited by Katielauren2001 on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum