If I were Prime Minister...

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

If I were Prime Minister...

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:13 pm

"Debates" has been a little quiet for a while, so I'm hoping that this will liven things up a bit.
What would you do if you were Prime Minister (or President) of your country?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby fuzzy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm

Build an army of singing daleks that liked dancing to the Time Warp!

You?!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:43 am

That certainly sounds like a fun idea.
If I were Prime Minister, I would radically reduce spending on the miltary and increase taxes for the very, very rich. I would use the money to:
1) Give more aid to third world countries.
2) Abolish University tuition fees completely.
3) Give social workers higher pay. The social services don't have enough people to do the work they need to do: if pay went up, they would get more staff.
4) Spend more money on research into cures and vaccines for diseases, especially AIDs
5) Improve facilities in schools, especially special needs facilities.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby eDan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:02 pm

1. Scrap Trident (the British nuclear deterrent) and get everyone else in the world to do the same with their warheads.
2. Use the money saved on building a network of super-fast Mag-lev trains so it only takes me an hour to go home and visit my parents.
3. Replace the "Mind the gap" announcements on the tube using the voices of Daleks instead.
4. Free higher education, perhaps moving towards the system in Sweden where there's free education upto the age of 26.
5. Pedestrianise all city centres and create a public transport network in its place.
6. Limit the spread of chain shops which is destroying the diversity of our city centres.
7. Try to better integrate ethnic communities so they feel part of society, and are both contributing to and benefiting from it.
8. Do something about the moral decay of society, yob culture etc. altho not sure what.
9. Make sure rural affairs are given a lot more importance in politics.
10. Change the political system to a type of proportional representation so that smaller parties have a chance.
11. Change the national anthem. Maybe to Jerusalem as recently suggested, or to the theme of the Archers as once recommended by Billy Connelly.
12. Do something about the inflexibity of the education system, especially in relation to students with varying needs and abilities.
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby _C_ » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:55 pm

I would rather be god than prime minister. Then i could get rid of dyspraxia. Im sick to the death of it.
_C_
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:15 am

C, I know it can be so hard, but don't get miserable. Don't give up on yourself. Think of all the things you've achieved and all the things other people have achieved on this forum. You are an intelligent, unique person. You are like this not in spite of but because of your dyspraxia.
It'll be ok. xxx
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby fuzzy » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:28 pm

HAHAHAHA! I like the mind the gap one, Dan!!! Mind the Gap! Exterminate!!!!!

_C_- I know that it can sometimes feel difficult, like you dont fit in with the world- but you fit in here with us, and you always will! Aint that right, guys?
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:28 pm

Fuzzy's hit the nail on the head.
Returning to the original subject, if I were Prime Minister, I'd try to promote solar energy.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:43 pm

_C_, if you were God you would not want to get rid of dyspraxia. You would be blessed with infinite wisdom as well as infinite power, and you would know exactly why dyspraxic people are so necessary to the world. I follow a God who loves variety. I am humbled that He took the trouble to design me after a different pattern. Firstly, remember that no difficulty is insurmountable and you will value everything so much more if you have to work hard for it. Secondly, remember that many fabulously gifted people (one of my favourite poets, for example) weren't geniuses in spite of their learning difference, but because of it. Samuel Taylor Coleridge could never have written The Rime of the Ancient Mariner without dyspraxia.

However, I know how you feel. It was difficult for me to remember the positives of dyspraxia last Saturday night, when I accidentally lurched into a moat that was brimming over with mud and cow dung. (Dropped my keys, hurried to pick them up, forget the moat was there, tripped over, and plunged in!) But I feel better about it now. Every cloud has silver underwear - it will make a great story for dinner parties.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:27 am

eDan wrote:1. Scrap Trident (the British nuclear deterrent) and get everyone else in the world to do the same with their warheads.
4. Free higher education, perhaps moving towards the system in Sweden where there's free education upto the age of 26.
6. Limit the spread of chain shops which is destroying the diversity of our city centres.
7. Try to better integrate ethnic communities so they feel part of society, and are both contributing to and benefiting from it.
8. Do something about the moral decay of society, yob culture etc. altho not sure what.
9. Make sure rural affairs are given a lot more importance in politics.
10. Change the political system to a type of proportional representation so that smaller parties have a chance.
12. Do something about the inflexibity of the education system, especially in relation to students with varying needs and abilities.

Save the animals!!!! 8)

Somehow end the war on terrorism in a way that is good for everyone within the next 2 years. Don't see this happening, but....it's worth a try

Make stores cheaper so the needy could buy more clothes, food, etc.

Make the airline systems safer.

Give women equal pay to men.

I'd be the first woman president!!!! :D 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

priminister

Postby intowiz » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:52 pm

if i were priminister id influince more paganism and spirituallity and make buddhist monastery id legalise pot and id create 50 miles of free land for peaple who are fed up with the civilized world and want to make it on their own in the woods hunting their own making their place to live making their own alchohol like meed and ale. and everyone has to make their own alchohol. and weed seeds would be sold at gardining centres.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

priminister

Postby intowiz » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:55 pm

if i were priminister id influince more paganism and spirituallity and make buddhist monastery id legalise pot and id create 50 miles of free land for peaple who are fed up with the civilized world and want to make it on their own in the woods hunting their own making their place to live making their own alchohol like meed and ale. and everyone has to make their own alchohol. and weed seeds would be sold at gardining centres.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:26 pm

By "weed seeds" do you mean weeds as in dandiliopns, or weeds as in the drugs? (Sorry to ask.)
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby intowiz » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:25 pm

thats ok i meant the drug though it would be an 18 plus drug and illegal to smoke any more after youve greened. emphasis on if.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:00 am

What do you mean by "after you've greened"? I don't know what that means. :oops:
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Next

Return to Debate Forum