Gay Marriages

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Should gays have the right to get married?

Yes
72%
No
15%
Unsure
13%

Total votes : 39

Gay Marriages

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:26 pm

Should Gays be able to get married??

My opinion is that they should because gays are people too! I don't think that gender orientation should decide whether you have a right to marry or not. I am a straight person who has a few homogenderal friends and they are perfectly normal people who deserve to have the same rights as people who like people of the opposite gender! 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

????

Postby pinkparrot » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:30 pm

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I don't know.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby parnassus » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:02 pm

It depends how you define the term 'marriage'. In the religious sense, it would be impossible for gay people to get married as such a strong emphasis is placed on pro-creation. A gay couple obviously couldn't fulfil the commands of the scriptures.

In the civil sense, gay marriage definitely possible - there is nothing to stop gay couples from fulfilling civil marriage obligations. I am not sure what I think about this, though.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:04 pm

I never thought of that. I guess they'd have to think up a new word. I think if people love each other that's what matters. Please don't call me soppy!
pinkparrot

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:23 pm

pinkparrot wrote:I never thought of that. I guess they'd have to think up a new word. I think if people love each other that's what matters. Please don't call me soppy!

Me too. I don't think that God would really care if people were gay and married. The first purpose for marriage was written as having children, but it is also written that you should love your partner. My aunt and uncle are married and have no kids, does that mean they go against scripture? I don' t think so. I think that if heterogenders can get married and have no kids, why can't gays? I think that when the Bible was written God wanted people to multiply because there was not a big human population. Now that there is, maybe He would think it was okay for people to get married without having kids or people to marry when they are gay, and therefore, in a man's case anyway, can't have children. I don't think gays should be exempt from having the same rights as the rest of us.

There has been new biological evidence that supports gayness as being a gene. If this evidence is seen to be true, then it would be illegal in the United States for the government to discriminate against gays because they would be considered "disabled" due to biological differences. If this is true, then gayness is beyond someone's control and therefore gays should be given the right to marriage. Since we don't know, it's just cool to have a debate on the subject! 8)
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:06 pm

I really don't know what I think about this.
In Britain, gay people will soon be able top enter into a civil partnership, which conveys most opf the same rights as marriage.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:16 pm

Good for them.
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:39 pm

In Britain, gay people will soon be able top enter into a civil partnership, which conveys most opf the same rights as marriage.

They have already implemented a similar scheme in France, called the PACS. I forget what the acronym stands for, but we had to study it at A-Level. I think this is good, as gay couples ought to be protected by the law and enjoy the same rights as committed heterosexual partners do. But I would not like to see this kind of partnership sanctified by a church wedding. It goes against everything the Bible asks of married couples. In Roman Catholic teaching at least, pro-creation is one of the most sacred parts of marriage. "Go forth and multiply."

The RCC does not see homosexuality itself as morally wrong - it teaches that God makes people that way, and therefore a gay person is no less valuable than a straight person. But it does condemn homosexual practice. The RC Church teaches that gay people are called to lead celibate lives as part of their mission on this earth. But I admit that it must be very hard for some gay people to do that, and therefore I wouldn't take to the streets in riotious protest if a PACS-type arrangement became legal in this country.

However, I would vehemently oppose homosexual church weddings. There is definitely something morally wrong with making promises that you can't keep.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:41 pm

What about marriages that end in divorce? Is that not a promise that has not been kept?
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:45 pm

Yes. For this reason, the Catholic Church is also adamantly against divorce.

Annulment and dissolution are permitted, though, but you have to meet some very stringent criteria if you want your marriage to be annulled or dissolved. The idea is to make sure families stay strong and stay together.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:46 pm

Very nice theory but sadly, not a realistic theory. Is there any justice in the world?
pinkparrot

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:36 pm

Is a marriage conducted in a church between two homosexual partners any different to a marriage conducted in a Church between to infertile heterosexuals? (I don't know the answer myself.) Neither couple can go forth and multiply.
There are some Churches which allow homosexual weddings, although these are not legally binding. I don't know how I feel about this.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:35 pm

Excellent point, 1337! It's like in the science life processes to be alive you have to be able to reproduce. Infertile people are not dead!
pinkparrot

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:41 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:Is a marriage conducted in a church between two homosexual partners any different to a marriage conducted in a Church between to infertile heterosexuals? (I don't know the answer myself.) Neither couple can go forth and multiply.
There are some Churches which allow homosexual weddings, although these are not legally binding. I don't know how I feel about this.

Well I know a family that couldn't have kids and got married. They adopted a son. I think it would be kind of the same because they can't have kids biologically. Also, on the topic of kids, do you think that gays should be able to adopt/do invitro?
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:43 pm

I think gay couples should be allowed to adopt but I'm not sure about the school life because the kids will end up with either 2 mums or 2 dads.
pinkparrot

Next

Return to Debate Forum