Gay Marriages

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Should gays have the right to get married?

Yes
72%
No
15%
Unsure
13%

Total votes : 39

Postby Creative » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:09 am

I have just been on 2 surrogacy websites and they both say that this is legal in the UK!
Creative
Forum God !

Postby happy_go_lucky » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:01 pm

i really feel that if it is simply a collection of dividing cells which is what an embryo is then their is no way you can classify it as a human being it is no more then a cancer until things start getting designated roles
happy_go_lucky
Super Poster

Postby Kentigern » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:50 pm

Can you clearly define a definite point when the embryo stops being a collection of cells and starts being a human being? For me the answer is that one cannot define a definite point.

You say the cells are dividing. The cells are doing things. They are not static. There is a process underway. This process is a gradual one, and very gradually the embryos will develop recogniseable features. The point though is that this development process starts at conception. The process of developing the brain, skin, and the rest of our features starts at conception, and not at any point afterwards. If you think about it, if these processes started at any point afterwards not everyone would have a brain / skin / whatever.

This is why I believe the embryo to be fully human at conception, which is why I think Stem Cell research is wrong.

Gordon
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:45 pm

Kentigern wrote:Can you clearly define a definite point when the embryo stops being a collection of cells and starts being a human being? For me the answer is that one cannot define a definite point.

You say the cells are dividing. The cells are doing things. They are not static. There is a process underway. This process is a gradual one, and very gradually the embryos will develop recogniseable features. The point though is that this development process starts at conception. The process of developing the brain, skin, and the rest of our features starts at conception, and not at any point afterwards. If you think about it, if these processes started at any point afterwards not everyone would have a brain / skin / whatever.

This is why I believe the embryo to be fully human at conception, which is why I think Stem Cell research is wrong.

Gordon

Stem cell debate is widely argued. But it can just be used to rebuild broken things in the body that the body can't repair it's self.

Also, Gordon, get on MSN! I added you yonks ago.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:41 pm

Stem cells can be obtained from the umbilical cord after the baby has been born. There is no risk to the baby. That way, stem cell research can go ahead without the necessity of abortion.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Previous

Return to Debate Forum