Euthanasia/physician assisted suicide

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Euthanasia/assisted suicide. Is it right to legalilze it?

Yes, euthanasia/assisted suicide should be legalized
56%
No, euthanasia/assisted suicide is bad and should remain illegal.
44%

Total votes : 9

Euthanasia/physician assisted suicide

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:36 pm

This is another hot topic in the US because there have been some recent cases of it here. Euthanasia is basically giving someone a shot to end their life. Kind of like when you put your dog to sleep or something. Recently, a woman named Terry Schiavo, who had been in a coma for 15 years, died from what they call "physician assisted suicide" because they took out her feeding tube. She basically could not go on living a normal life. She couldn't talk or barely function and her family was arguing about whether they should let her go. The husband wanted to let her go, but the parents still thought she could come out of it. It went to the Supreme Court and it was nationally televised before they reached a final decision in May and she died after they took her feeding tube out. This issue of euthanasia/assisted suicide is also illustrated in a very good movie called Million Dollar Baby, which won best Actress (Hillary Swank), Best Director (Clint Eastwood), Best Supporting Actor (Morgan Freeman), and Best Picture at the Oscars in February. Eastwood was nominated for Best Actor, but lost to Jamie Foxx for Ray. Eastwood, who plays a boxing trainer in the film, is faced with a really hard choice about euthanasia at the end of the movie.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:38 pm

I say no. I don't have time to explain now, but I have done extensive research on this topic for Christian Ethics class and I disagree with it.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Euthanasia

Postby pinkparrot » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:31 am

I once had to write an essay on euthanasia. Unfortunately I got incredibly confused about the meaning and wrote half of my essay about animals being put to sleep and half about humans being put to sleep. As a result- I did not do too well on my essay!
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby monkey » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:38 am

i say no.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:58 pm

If anyone's in hospital, one can assume they may not be thinking straight. However, I think it's wrong to keep people suffering if it is a mortal injury case. I will sort it out in my head later.
pinkparrot

Postby fuzzy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:06 pm

Just beacuse someone is il doesnt mean that theyv lost thier mind and are unable to think for themselves! I think that if ppl want to die, and they are going to slowly and painfully- they should be given the oppurtunity to die with dignity on thier terms. Seeing as im nt religious, I dont have any objections to it, apart from the fact that there could be serious ethical consequences to it if it was legalized- ppl could start to claim that the person that they axed to death ASKED for it! So it would have to be carefully thought out and restricted to prevent that happening somehow!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:53 pm

I object to euthanasia on both religious and secular grounds. To begin with the second:

* Doctors frequently make misdiagnoses. My grandmother was given a one in two hundred chance of survival when she underwent an operation on her aorta. She was told that following the surgery, she would have to be transferred to a nursing home to live out the remainder of her days - which would undoubtedly be extremely painful. Within a month of the operation, she was fully independent again and experiencing comparatively little pain. Suppose euthanasia were legal, and she had requested it? The doctors might easily have agreed because they were confident that her death was imminent anyway and that she would have a very poor quality of life if she did happen to survive.

* Elderly people quite often see themselves as a burden on their families. They may request death because they feel humiliated by their feeble condition and upset about the extra effort their families have to make to care for them. Greedy and avaricious relatives may also subtly pressurise an elderly person into signing his own death warrant - look at what happened to this man:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm_objectid=14863089&method=full&siteid=50143&headline=family-fly-dad-from-spain-to-abandon-him-at-hospital-name_page.html

* Extreme pain can distort someone's thinking. This is why torture is so effective in 'persuading' someone to do things they wouldn't ordinarily even consider. When I had pneumonia I lay there thinking, "I want to die, I want to die," but I didn't really.

* The idea that a person who is sick has no quality of life is all wrong. Christina Bryden suffers from a debilitating disease (Alzheimer's) and yet she has written books about her experiences - Who Will I Be When I Die? and Dancing with Dementia. Jane Austen wrote one of her best novels whilst in the grip of a painful and insidious consumption (tuberculosis). By refusing to allow euthanasia, we could challenge two of our culture's greatest taboos - sickness and death. People need to realise that life doesn't have to look perfect to be wonderful - that pain itself is an opportunity.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:25 pm

parnassus wrote: Elderly people quite often see themselves as a burden on their families. They may request death because they feel humiliated by their feeble condition and upset about the extra effort their families have to make to care for them. Greedy and avaricious relatives may also subtly pressurise an elderly person into signing his own death warrant - look at what happened to this man:

That is true. My dad is a hospital chaplain and has seen that happen before now.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:15 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghh! This is too complicated! You can't tell what someone is thinking. I know not all people in hospital have lost their marbles but some have! How can someone tell? Why would someone want to die? What kind of pain must they be facing? Would they regret their choice later? Have they thought it through first? Would they want to turn and face the unknown? Would someone have a list of things to do before they die? I would probably forget and wish someone had given me more time. What about saying goodbye and relatives who live in another country? What if they were unconscious? What if they were possessed? What about morality? What about love? What about wills? What about the method? What about pain? What about the amount of people who think they know the person whose views clash? What about the law? What about hospital policies?
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! SOMEONE REPLY AND HELP ME SORT MY HEAD OUT!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:23 pm

What if they were unconscious?

Involuntary euthanasia is quite a different thing and in certain circumstances (when the patient is brain-dead) is legal.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:24 pm

OK. What about the rest of it?
pinkparrot

Postby C » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:39 pm

I agree with legalising euthanasia in certain circumstances but if the law did change it would have to be strictly controlled.

I believe that if a person is terminally ill why shouldn't they die with dignity if they want to? It's them that will get weaker and weaker and sicker and more frail; it's life life that is going to end eventually why not end it before the pain?

I respect and admire dying people who do not choose euthanasia but surely if someone is dying they have the right to end their life with dignity, while they are strong, before it's too late for them?
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:42 pm

It's like there's a great heavy haze around this issue. I can't make sense of it, like I generally do in others. This is probably because it involves the mind, which I can't really predict, assume or really do anything with. Some people change their minds at the drop of a hat so I don't know what would happen to them...
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:27 pm

I respect and admire dying people who do not choose euthanasia but surely if someone is dying they have the right to end their life with dignity, while they are strong, before it's too late for them?

Too late for what? Is there no dignity to be found in suffering?
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:32 pm

I don't get it either- I think it means dying then and there without being forced to take the suffering that will make them weak and have to surrender. Exiting the whole struggle. I am not sure what the meaning of dignity is, so I guess I can't judge.
pinkparrot

Next

Return to Debate Forum