World Hunger

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby fuzzy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:20 pm

The idea of replacing the corrupt badies with fair and just politicians is an idealistic one, to say the least- Vicky, your spot on. Hey, we copuld always make ourselves really unpopular and step into a hostile counrty and 'reform' thier system. Yeah, cause that worked with Iraq. *applauds Tony Blair sarcastically*
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:18 pm

A lot of problems would be solved if Western countries stopped selling arms to corrupt dictators. If the dictators didn't have weapons, they couldn't enforce their brutal regimes.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby eDan » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:19 pm

There are supposed to be some rules in ethics in the arms trade I believe, whereby Western countries shouldn't sell arms to dodgy regimes, but I don't know how far this goes. A wider problem is that there's a huge amount of former-Soviet weaponery knocking around cheaply, available for whichever despot wants to quash a part of his country's population.
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby pinkparrot » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:27 pm

How can you tell a dodgy regime?
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:39 pm

That is one of the points. In theory, governments shouldn't sell any arms to leaders who have a record of human rights abuses. However, often human rights abuses are kept secret, and although the world suspects they are going on, it's impossible to prove.

Also, arms control is difficult to enforce. It is dependant on the goodwill of the world's most powerful countries, which is often sorely lacking. :(
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby pinkparrot » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:01 pm

Goodwill is lacking everywhere.
Yes, when people do bad things the worst of it is that there's no evidence to count on.
pinkparrot

Postby eDan » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:16 pm

Both 1337 and PP make excellent points. As 1337 says, the trading of arms I believe is based upon the human rights record, however even this is under debate and what is classed as acceptable certainly varies from one country to the next. What is one country's friend is another's foe, and it only takes one big friend to supply all the arms you need.

Even on a far less militaristic level, you may recall that the European Union funded an international airport for Palestine whereas the Americans backed the equipment that subsequently ripped up the same airport.
I'm sure instances can be drawn in the likes of Africa where some Western countries ban arms trade and others don't, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

PP's point of their being a lack of good will is unfortunately always the case, or at least there's good will that is constrained by the demands of the government's own economy and business sector which worries it may be damaged by helping out the developing world. (Sad, but true!)
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby mattie » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:48 pm

I see the problem of world poverty as having 2 main causes:

1) Corrupt governments - particularly in African countries where leaders tend to use any donations to increase their own personal wealth.

2) Greed of Western World - We can and should do more to alleviate the poverty problem.

For world poverty to end, both need to be solved. Merely donating more money is not enough.

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:04 pm

How can you tell a dodgy regime?

Any country that flouts the United Nations' Code of Human Rights and the Geneva Convention.

Mind you, the USA wants their Central Intelligence Bureau to be exempt from the Geneva Convention (meaning that they should be permitted to torture prisoners) so we are standing on muddy ground...
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:09 pm

Every area is clouded. We don't live in a world of black and white. I am extremely interested in law so had a stage where I was obssessed with Human Rights. My dream is to become a lawyer who will give disabled people justice everywhere (this is where languages come into play.)

Anyway, back on topic, that is terrible. Why torture prisoners, I would have thought being in prison would be bad enough?! :shock:
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:18 pm

No, it is people like terror suspects they want to torture, such as the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay. They think that torture will get the prisoners to spill the beans on their compatriots more rapidly. It probably would, but that doesn't make it right - it will just outrage people and make them more willing to listen to what religious and political extremists have to say.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:32 pm

This has no part in the debate, but will be of use to anyone who is worried about world hunger.
www.thehungersite.com
You can provide food for the starving just by clicking on a button provided by that site. The cost of the food is met by the site's sponsors.

Postby parnassus » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:34 pm

That was me. The site is being unfriendly towards your faithful parnassus and keeps on booting her out.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:38 pm

(Awww. How terrible! I thought that was you because you mentioned it somewhere else! I have never been booted out before-how strange. Poor Parnassus.)

Torture probably would work but it's terrible to think about. No-one should be tortured, but then I'm on a lower education level and could be considered naive. I hate the idea of people getting hurt.
pinkparrot

Previous

Return to Debate Forum