Smacking Children

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

What are your views on parents smacking as a form of punishment for children?

For
35%
Against
65%

Total votes : 20

Postby parnassus » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:14 pm

You are a very strong person and an inspiring Christian, Candy. :) I love to learn from you.

I'm glad that your mother is feeling much better now.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:35 pm

You are a true Christian, Candy. You are an amazing person to be able to forgive your mum. I am glad that things are better for your family now. :)
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby fuzzy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:13 pm

Oh my god Monley, I totally didnt kknow any of that. Im so sorry that you had to go through that :cry: but im glad that things are better now :) pm me aboot anytime, mate! :)

Dunno if I agree with smacking kids or not- I think I agree with Monkey. It can be done as long as its not abused, so to speak. There is a diffrence between disciplining your child and physically abusing them, and I think that often ppl- parents and those passing these bills- do not know the boundaries between them.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:42 pm

parnassus wrote:You are a very strong person and an inspiring Christian, Candy. :) I love to learn from you.

I'm glad that your mother is feeling much better now.

I said that I disagree with smacking children, but I must point out that, in certain cirumstances it is effective as a punishment. It may be better to do something else, but for some children, hitting them on the buttock is the only way to get through. If you do this, you have to explain why you did it afterward though because the child will be confused if you don't. For instance, if they are refusing to help clean up the dishes and they keep on making excuses not to do it, you should first talk to them, and then as a last resort go to hitting. Only do it once because ofthen times that is effective enough and it hurts to be smacked twice. Use your hands because other objects hurt. I know people who have been smacked by wooden spoons and such and it hurts a lot!

I have never had that happen, thankfully I only got my parent's hands.
But it was effective for me and I didn't grow up thinking that I was really bad or have any psychological differences because of it. My sisters both got smacked on the bottom a few times and they are all mentally and emotionally healthy. I think if it is done too much it is bad and then it becomes a problem. Also there must be a legit reason for it ie disobedience of doing a task that is reasonable or punishment for stealing someone's doll. It needs to be talked about afterward because then they won't get why they were hit. Once they understand why they were hit, they probably won't do it again. Also no paddles, spoons, belts, etc. only hitting on the bottom or hand and not the face/ other parts because the face seems like it makes more of an emotional blow in some respects because it hurts more than the bottom. If I ever got hit on my face by my mom or dad, I would be very, very sad indeed. :cry: People who hit kids constantly need counsel!
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:34 pm

I think smacking kids should be a last resort but It does have it's place in diciplin. I think it's OK if it's not too hard and the parent doesn't make a habit of it.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:49 pm

Alice wrote:I think smacking kids should be a last resort but It does have it's place in diciplin. I think it's OK if it's not too hard and the parent doesn't make a habit of it.

Yup. Exactly my thoughts. :D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

AGAINST!

Postby k9ruby » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:54 pm

AGAINST! Smacking is wrong! how come people think its ok to smack children but not adults??? Treating agression with agression? it also teaches them that its 'ok' to be hit and 'ok' to hit. Some parents may do it because they cant control their temper or just plain lazy to discipline their children. If smacking worked, we would have a nation of little angels, of which we dont and will not, because it does not work!

Banning and removing priviliges such as pocket money, TV, sweets, fizzy drinks, computer, ganmes console, seeing friends, using mobile,using the telephone etc. works far more effectivley!

Also children should not have to do things because they are scared of being hit, but rather because misbaviour =consquence not physical punishment. :wink:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:59 pm

Too right we don't have a nation of little angels!
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

too rite

Postby k9ruby » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:16 pm

take my bro as a example :evil:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:16 pm

...and my sister.
pinkparrot

lol

Postby k9ruby » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:18 pm

:P lol
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:21 pm

Maybe we should quit complaining about our siblings and return to the debate. Anyone seen Supernanny or the House of Tiny Tearaways?(I hope I remembered that second one right!)
pinkparrot

my bro

Postby k9ruby » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:23 pm

getting back on topic, yeah i have, and he is right behing me makinf funny noises. :evil:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:25 pm

I like watching those programs but I hardly ever see them.
pinkparrot

Postby towildhoney » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:37 pm

I strongly disagee with smacking children though I was personaly ocasionaly smacked as a child and it did me no harm I certainly think it did me know good I was extremley stuborn and if I was smacked would ignore my parents for three days at a very young age. I would never hit my child as all I think it teaches them is that if you are provoked it is acceptable to react violently. I think a smacking ban would be good as though I would not advocate sending all parents who smack there children to prison I have when I worked in shoping centers behave violently towards there children i.e. knocking todlers of there feat and belive that if it was permisable within society to phone social services and this was a norm lots of children would be saved pain and ditress. Also its just so hipocritical I've seen so many parents hitting there children for hitting there younger brothers and sisters saying don't hit someone smaller than you and I want to shout yeah thats realy wha your teaching them now. I just don't see how anyone could in cool temper hit a child and if you have lost your temper and hit a child then your teaching them its acceptable to strike out in anger.

The earlier discussion of humiliating children unsetling its much better to teach a child why there doing something wrong and let them in there own time understand why they have breached behavioural codes. As adyspraxics as a child I was often punished for doing things wrong but I did notunderstand why they were wrong. Punishing a child without them knowing what for is fruitless
towildhoney
Forum Master

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum