Smacking Children

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

What are your views on parents smacking as a form of punishment for children?

For
35%
Against
65%

Total votes : 20

Postby towildhoney » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:39 pm

I hae seen the house of tiny tear aways I think it has realy good advice
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby kitty_cute » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:28 pm

I dont agree on it. There must be other ways to punish your children without physical harm and physocological (sp) harming?
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Columbia » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:11 pm

I'm absolutely against cororal punishment of any kind. I just think it sends out an awful message to child involved: "I love you, but that doesn't mean I won't be violent towards you". While I understand that parents genuinely think it works, if you're willing to put in the time and effort to do research there are plenty of effective non-violent discipline methods avaliable.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.
*Pro-Choice and Proud*
Columbia
Advanced Member

Postby Danni » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:42 pm

<Danni sticks parent hat on, takes teenager hat off>

OK then.

I don't agree with smacking, at least where my daughter is concerned. Time out works so much better, as does ignoring her (which is getting easier the more I do it- even in public). She may be 2, but she's already pretty well behaved. She can't talk yet, so talking to her won't work yet, but I'm keeping that one ready for when she's older.

Smacking didn't ever stop me doing stuff, nor did hair pulling, humiliation or being slapped (all up to age 15- I left home just after my 16th birthday). If Sammie's about to do something dangerous, I either pull her away or tap her on the hand (not hard, just enough so she feels it and looks up, so that I can tell her not to do it!). Her older cousin is smacked, and has hit me a lot more than Sammie ever has (though it's up to his parents to discipline him, not me :p)

I'm hoping that by the end of this year, she'll be able to talk, and will be easy to manage, considering she'll be starting Nursery in January next year.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:23 pm

i dont mind smacking, i have no problem as long as its not full on hiiting and causing big pain to a child
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:01 pm

Ive seen super nanny. Not a smack in sight? Just pure strict decipline.
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to Debate Forum