Keeping Sunday special

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Keeping Sunday special

Postby eDan » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:15 pm

There's currently talk in the media of government plans to further de-restrict Sunday trading laws, which could in theory make shopping on Sunday in Britain the same as any other day of the week.

The current law dates back to the mid-90s, when the law was changed from being very restrictive with very little open on Sunday, to many shops, especially supermarkets, being allowed to open, albeit with restricted hours.

Smaller shop-owners complain that they will be put under pressure to open even longer hours, giving them even less free personal time.
There's also the argument on religious grounds that Sunday should special.

The counter-argument is that most people work Monday to Friday and have little chance for shopping as it is, so increasing shopping hours on Sundays will be beneficial for themselves and the economy.
It could also be argued that as a multi-cultural society no one religious day of the week should be specially marked out for special treatment.

What does everyone think?
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:29 pm

I personally think Sunday should retain its mystique - and not because I'm religious. After all, I don't have to go to town on Sunday if I don't want to: I can go to church as usual and then spend the rest of the day quietly in my home as is my custom, without bothering about whether other people are out shopping. It's none of my business if a Muslim or a Sikh chooses to get the groceries in on Sunday, after all.

But I do think there are dangers in a '24/7' society. Stress-related illnesses are on the rise in Britain, and we are increasingly controlled by distressing and damaging consumerism. It is good for everyone's health to have one peaceful day where they can enjoy a rest. Many people are actually frightened of resting now - they frantically fill their days with activities so they don't have to go home and be with themselves - and this is sad. Everyone needs time to reflect, to plan, to chill, whether you are religious or not.

Secondly, Sunday has been Britian's 'special day' since time immemorial. If we removed that special status, our sense of time and history would receive a severe blow.

Then there are the mathematical and economical dangers in Sunday opening, as Dan has already pointed out. I fear that Sunday opening would strangle small businesses and play right into the hands of the big chainstores.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:48 pm

We have no real laws on Sunday in America. Although shops can be closed on Sundays, most don't because people go out to shop on Sunday a lot. Some places close early, but a lot stay open for long hours. I don't like it how on Sunday everything is open because it restricts family time sometimes. I do go shop on Sundays at home, but we could do it on Saturday just as easily.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Keeping Sunday special

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:35 pm

eDan wrote:The counter-argument is that most people work Monday to Friday and have little chance for shopping as it is, so increasing shopping hours on Sundays will be beneficial for themselves and the economy.

If the shops are open on Sundays, people who work in shops will be working on Sundays. This represents a significant proportion of the population. Furthermore, laws on working on a Sunday will be relaxed, so more people will work on Sundays. Therefore, few people will be able to take advantage of the chance to shop.

Also, I don't think it would be entirely "beneficial for themselves". People do need to buy things, but many people do shopping for shopping's sake. This leads to debt problems, and the worrying proliferation of materialistic attitudes.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby fuzzy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:08 pm

I think that shops should be open later on Sundays and every other day too- the Uk should be more continental lkike Italy and have shops open until 9 or 10pm. Vicky is right- Sundays can remain specail even if shops are open; nobody drags the religious into town!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby pinkparrot » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:12 pm

I guess so. Not everyone rests on a Sunday, especially when you've got HOMEWORK...
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:42 am

People need rest. Working hours are getting longer and longer. People need to take a break.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:22 am

It seems that people generally either take no breaks or too many breaks. There is no balance...
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:47 am

You;re right. We need balance.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to Debate Forum