MMR Debate

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:28 pm

Don't you just hate that hospital SMELL?
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby carebear15 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:07 pm

I hate the dentist smell at times.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:13 pm

Yeah me too! Now which one's worse...
pinkparrot

Re: MMR

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:42 am

k9ruby wrote:Whether its safe or not, there have been some links to show it may cause autism and bowl disease.

Actually, those links have been proven wrong. I did a report on autism last year and it said in my source that they were proven wrong. Also it said so in my psychology book.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby C » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:29 pm

I have my suspicions about the MMR. Conditions such as autism do appear to be on the increase. I know scientific studies suggest otherwise, but many mothers of children claim they changed immediately after the vaccine and sometimes mothers know best.

I wouldn't like to be in the position of a mother or father who has to decide whether to give their child the MMR or not...
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:44 pm

But as MMR is given at the time when autistic regressions typically occur, it could be that that is just a coincidence. And is it autism that is on the increase, but better diagnostic methods and greater public awareness? At one time these children would have been labelled as retarded or mad. Furthermore, brain scans of autistic children often show an abnormality in the amygdala. I don't believe the MMR is capable of altering the shape of the brain.

It is also possible that autism does not have one common cause, but several. An MMR vaccine may act as a trigger in a handful of cases, but it is likely that other factors must already be present - genetics, diet, physiology. The eminent researcher Simon Baron-Cohen and his team are adamant that autism is caused before birth. The foetus develops an autistic brain if the mother's levels of the testosterone hormone are unusually high. That theory has much more concrete evidence to back it up than the MMR theory does. If I were a parent, I would have no problem in deciding to give the child the MMR. The chances of the child developing autism are slim. The chances of a child catching measles, mumps, or rubella are high.

Here is an article of interest.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,1639392,00.html
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:35 am

parnassus wrote:But as MMR is given at the time when autistic regressions typically occur, it could be that that is just a coincidence. And is it autism that is on the increase, but better diagnostic methods and greater public awareness? At one time these children would have been labelled as retarded or mad. Furthermore, brain scans of autistic children often show an abnormality in the amygdala. I don't believe the MMR is capable of altering the shape of the brain.

It is also possible that autism does not have one common cause, but several. An MMR vaccine may act as a trigger in a handful of cases, but it is likely that other factors must already be present - genetics, diet, physiology. The eminent researcher Simon Baron-Cohen and his team are adamant that autism is caused before birth. The foetus develops an autistic brain if the mother's levels of the testosterone hormone are unusually high. That theory has much more concrete evidence to back it up than the MMR theory does. If I were a parent, I would have no problem in deciding to give the child the MMR. The chances of the child developing autism are slim. The chances of a child catching measles, mumps, or rubella are high.

Here is an article of interest.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,1639392,00.html

I thought that it was proven that MMR did not cause autism a few years ago. Is that true?

Good article, btw. 8)
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Miranda » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:08 am

Im allergic to the MMR so if anyone at my school comes down with any of those, i have to be withdrawn and quarantined
Miranda
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:12 am

You're a walking allergy, Miranda! :D Allergic to the world!
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Miranda » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:32 am

i know :(
Miranda
Mega Poster

Postby pinkparrot » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:55 pm

I have never met someone with worse allergies than me! You have got to come to the gathering so I can meet you!
pinkparrot

Postby Miranda » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:56 pm

how d'ya know mine are worse :P
Miranda
Mega Poster

Postby pinkparrot » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:00 pm

I sense it.
pinkparrot

Postby Miranda » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:03 pm

lol
Miranda
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:59 pm

carebear15 wrote:I hate the dentist smell at times.

I ALWAYS HATE THE DENTIST SMELL!! IT'S AWFUL!!! :x
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum