satanism and paganism

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

satanism and paganism

Postby intowiz » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:58 am

is it really fare to put pagans and spiritualists in the same catagory as satanists.
i mean in the christian and and catholic church are seen as in line with the devil but pagans dont believe in the devil they believe in a totally different religion altogether. its not fare to ban and riddicule them just because they arnt like normal religion.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:20 pm

People are often alienated for being different.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby intowiz » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:21 pm

i had police at my door the other day because i had a pentagram painted on my garage and someone called the police because they were christian and apperently it offended them to quote look at something satanic. but its not satanic its my holy symbal. what next dyspraxic peaple put in mental asylums.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:46 pm

im sure ive read some where that some one was put into a mentle word and later ended up being diagnosed with dyspraxia rather than a mentle illness.

i used to be a 'witch'. im a christain now but i wouldnt have been affended by your garage door.

Postby +monkey+ » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:47 pm

that was me
+monkey+

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:12 pm

I feel very strongly about satanists, as an ex 'mother' figure is deeply involved in satanism and it has really badly i guess you could say 'left a mark on me' cults are dangerous FULL STOP. the long lasting damage can cause severe mental health problems including DISASOTIVE IDENTITY DISORDER (formaly multiple personality disorder)

Im gonna have to stop as im too upset
sorry
x
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:21 pm

What exactly is 'normal religion'?

I am a Roman Catholic (incidentally, Catholics are Christians - we aren't a different group) and I know that there are as many different kinds of paganism as there are kinds of Christianity. 'Paganism' is an umbrella term for a variety of beliefs, and I respect that. I also think Satanism is inappropriately named, as most Satanists do not sign their souls away to the devil or anything like that - they believe in themselves, usually putting earthly pleasures first. It's hedonism in a new guise, not devil-worship.

However, I do have a problem with people (and they're usually teenagers) who call themselves pagan or satanist because they see it as 'radical'. To them, Christianity = boring, oppressive. Paganism = extreme, special, exciting. Their knowledge of earth-based spirituality could easily be written on the back of a postage stamp by an arthritic chimpanzee, yet they identify with pagan religions because they think it makes them amazingly different. There were a lot of people like this at my last school. So paganism can be devalued from within as well as from without.

As for the neighbour who called in to complain, she must have been an extremely strict fundamentalist - the average Christian just wouldn't bother. This country's legal code enshrines people's right to display religious symbols. But if I painted a large crucifix on my garage door and planted a statue of Our Lady by the doorstep, I'd expect a response. In fact, I wouldn't put an icon in a public place unless I wanted a response. That may be something to think about.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby intowiz » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:40 pm

parnassus i hope you do not mind me saying this but you are a person of wise words. i hate peaple who say their or satanist just to be radical too.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:26 am

parnassus wrote:What exactly is 'normal religion'?

I am a Roman Catholic (incidentally, Catholics are Christians - we aren't a different group) and I know that there are as many different kinds of paganism as there are kinds of Christianity. 'Paganism' is an umbrella term for a variety of beliefs, and I respect that. I also think Satanism is inappropriately named, as most Satanists do not sign their souls away to the devil or anything like that - they believe in themselves, usually putting earthly pleasures first. It's hedonism in a new guise, not devil-worship.

However, I do have a problem with people (and they're usually teenagers) who call themselves pagan or satanist because they see it as 'radical'. To them, Christianity = boring, oppressive. Paganism = extreme, special, exciting. Their knowledge of earth-based spirituality could easily be written on the back of a postage stamp by an arthritic chimpanzee, yet they identify with pagan religions because they think it makes them amazingly different. There were a lot of people like this at my last school. So paganism can be devalued from within as well as from without.

As for the neighbour who called in to complain, she must have been an extremely strict fundamentalist - the average Christian just wouldn't bother. This country's legal code enshrines people's right to display religious symbols. But if I painted a large crucifix on my garage door and planted a statue of Our Lady by the doorstep, I'd expect a response. In fact, I wouldn't put an icon in a public place unless I wanted a response. That may be something to think about.

I am a Presbyterian who was baptised Catholic and I agree with what you said. 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:02 am

Vicky has a point. We have a cross hanging on the wall in our hallway. One time, a woman came to deliver a parcel. When my mum opened the door to her and she saw the crucifix she starting hurling abuse at my mum.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:23 pm

We had a talk about this in r.e (one of my strongest sujects which is now availible in my school for AS YES!! *dances*) that there is a passage in the bible where Jesus says to his deciple guys that "There are many rooms in my fathers house" which i think it's protatants or sommat that have interpreted this in the meaning of that it dosen't matter what race, religion, or beliefe you are. And that as long of you have lived a good life you will go to heaven. As i am of no religion and open minding i like this theory becasue i seem to get the jist of that you have to follow the teachings of god to be placed in his heaven (i could be very very wrong though! LOL) But either way i think evreybody should be accepted bar non! :D
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:52 pm

i think it's protatants or sommat that have interpreted this in the meaning of that it dosen't matter what race, religion, or beliefe you are. And that as long of you have lived a good life you will go to heaven.

There are many, many different kinds of Protestant, RHG - well over a hundred and fifty denominations. Some Protestant churches (such as the Unitarians) hold fast to this interpretation of Scripture; others (such as the Calvinists) are vehemently against it.

My church (Roman Catholic) teaches that you don't have to be a Christian in name to get to Heaven, but it is necessary to be a Christian in deed - in short, to put your neighbour before yourself. If you value your neighbour's welfare above your own, you are effectively valuing God above yourself. As Jesus once said, "If you do this to the least of my brethren, you do it unto me." But if you choose yourself and your own wants over the needs of other people, then God will give you back to yourself at the end of time - only this time there will be no TV. No pop music. No shops to visit. No people to see. No distractions. Just you on your own, trapped in a sweaty prison of your own faults and failings. Logical really - if you choose selfishness in life you get an undiluted dose of it after death. According to Catholicism, God has given us free will, and we fill in our travel itinerary before death.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to Debate Forum