Are you allergic to anything?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Are you allergic to anything?

yes
73%
no
27%

Total votes : 33

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:32 pm

irish_emz wrote:haha! i'm really the only one of my friends that doesn't wear pewter and stuff like that...the only *goth* in Belfast that wears silver lol

erm I know of a couple of other *goths* who wear silver in Belfast!
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:38 pm

Im not allergic to anything! WOO!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:52 pm

Nor am I...that I know of. I think I may be mildly lactose intolerant, as milk and melted cheese/cheesy sauces make me sick. But I can eat yoghurts and some cheeses without any difficulty at all. Hmm. Maybe it's more a question of texture.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:00 pm

an article I found wrote:A Chicoutimi, Que., high school is in mourning after a 15-year-old girl with a food allergy died suddenly after kissing her boyfriend who had eaten peanut butter.

Christina Desforges died earlier this week, after receiving the kiss during the weekend.

A shot of adrenaline failed to revive her. She died in hospital Wednesday.

"It's a very sad event. (Classmates) are feeling emotional and we had them meet with a psychologist," said school official Michel Cloutier.

Health Canada estimates 600,000 Canadians have potentially deadly allergies.

Approximately one to two per cent of Canadians -- perhaps eight per cent of children -- are allergic to peanuts and/or tree nuts.

Nuts, milk, eggs and shellfish top the list, but peanut is the main cause of fatal food allergy reactions (anaphylaxis), said Ernest Seidman, immunology and food allergies researcher at Ste. Justine Hospital in Montreal.

When someone comes in contact with an allergen, the symptoms of a reaction may develop quickly and rapidly progress from mild to severe to fatal, according to Health Canada.

The most dangerous symptoms include breathing difficulties, a drop in blood pressure or shock, which may result in loss of consciousness and even death. Severe allergic reactions can occur quickly and without warning.

Even trace amounts can be fatal, which is why food labelling is so crucial and why most schools have banned peanuts, Seidman said.

People with a nut allergy can have an immediate anaphylactic reaction if they kiss someone who has recently eaten the offending substance, he added.

Antibodies to the allergen provoke facial swelling, respiratory distress, bronchial spasms, a drop in blood pressure and hives.

Just smelling "peanut vapours" in a poorly ventilated area can send someone into an asthma crisis, Seidman said.

About 100 people in the United States die of food allergies every year, most from exposure to nuts. Canadian statistics are not available.

"We presume that 10 people die of food allergies on a yearly basis in Canada," said Seidman.

If your boyfriend/girlfriend has an allergy, be very careful about kissing them. You don't want them dead.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:02 pm

There was a girl at my school like that. She had such a bad nut allergy that she used to wear a surgical mask in pubs in case there were peanut crumbs on the tables. Her friends used to wipe down the surface of their chosen table before she went in.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:03 pm

That must be awful.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby madame_tigre » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:34 pm

How awful! I feel sorry for everyone who knew and loved the girl-particuarly her boyfriend. He's probably feeling enormously guilty and he didn't even know about her allergy.

I read about this on the BBC site earlier today and it said that the boy had eaten peanut butter on toast about 9 hours beforehand. This is very worrying.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

i know

Postby k9ruby » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:45 pm

Our school canteen are excelent, they hvae took all nutty things off the menu and exxcept from some pre packaged chocolate bars (which ionly theirs 1 or 2 of) :P

They even have their own support group
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby parnassus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:19 pm

The anaphylactics at my old school had to submit their photographs before they arrived, and large emergency STUART FISHWICK HAS A POTENTIALLY FATAL NUT ALLERGY signs were taped up all over the buildings. They looked like police 'Wanted' posters.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:32 am

im alegric to dust ( i suffeer from asthma) and pollen

my skin cant take strong stage make up and (only ears) i cant have nickel (i can wear it aroudn my neck but my ears cant have any nickel at all!!)
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:39 am

My skin doesn't like make-up either, and I have mild allergies to some perfumes.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby towildhoney » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:53 pm

I'm allergic to eggs and some cosmetics and orange reef (don't ask)

I'm just sick though no anaphylatic shock must be awful to react so badly
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby kitty_cute » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:44 pm

Im illegrgic to tinsel, glitter and get hey fever all year round its sucks lol
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby sumer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:48 pm

im alleragect to clorin (the swimming pool stuf) crap eh i go anyway!
sumer
Forum Master

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:35 pm

If it wasn't for my allergies I could have been sitting here with a pet cat. But I do what I can. I have a virtual pet cat computer program and a book of cat breeds. I am still managing to be a cat lover. (Just don't let me near one.)
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum