Obesity related topic

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Obesity related topic

Postby fuzzy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:21 pm

How does everyone feel about obses ppl not being able to get hip and knee replacements in parts of England?
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby ~Jenny~ » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:44 am

isn't that partially due to the fact that the operation could be dangerous because of their weight?
~Jenny~
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:44 pm

Jenny is right. Such surgery - in fact, any surgery - is more dangerous for an obese person than it is for someone of a healthy weight. I don't think the NHS is withholding surgery in order to punish people for being obese. It is probably best that they use the money they would have spent on hip and knee replacements to focus on improving the diet of and - in some cases - giving psychological counselling to obese people. People with certain eating disorders need support to change their habits, and people with genetic problems that cause them to be fat need medication, etc.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:52 am

Vicky is right. However, it is difficult to lose weight without the joint replacements, because it makes excercising almost impossible (excercise has been proven to be a more effective method of weight loss than dieting.)
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby ~Jenny~ » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:16 pm

although exercise isn't entirely essential for weight loss as my mum lost 6 and a half stone in just over 6 months through a weight loss and management programme which she has gone on to be a counsellor for, if any of you watched i think it was BBC breakfast one of the directors of the programme was on it a few days ago (in relation to the joint replacement story)

however their programme does require lots of medical check ups as it is a very low calorie meal replacement diet, but it also involves therapy to face people's issues with food
~Jenny~
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:12 pm

That programme sounds good. I hope it becomes available to more people.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby carebear15 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:43 pm

oh
I only weigh 108 pounds and 5'1 , and 21 years old.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Columbia » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:40 pm

I think the obese should mostd efinetely be entitled to this procedure, unless performing it would be more dangerous for them than not performing it. After all, we don't let injured F1/motorcycle driver die because they were taking risks with their health and safety, so why penalise the obese?

Although maybe I just feel that way because I used to be 16 st. Go figure. :wink:
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.
*Pro-Choice and Proud*
Columbia
Advanced Member

Postby kitty_cute » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:14 pm

Yeah they should be put on an eating plan first I think, the replacements should be used for the eldery more I think..
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby david456 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:31 pm

This issue is part of a bigger picture. Do you give a liver transplant to an alcoholic? Should smokers be given heart bypass? Should obese people get hip and knee replacements.

There are pros and cons to the debate. If you get people who don't have any of the conditions above caused by obesity, smoking or drinking, but they need the operation due to illness should they be infront of or behind someone for surgery that does drink, smoke or over eat? You decide.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby fuzzy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:50 pm

oohhh ethical question!! Personally, Id have to say that if there was only one treatment doesage for lung cancer, Id prefer to give it to someone who had not inflicted it upon themselves........
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby kitty_cute » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:38 pm

Yeah same, there could be people who needed it, who hadnt done anything to get it.. i.e.. hadnt inflicted it upon themselves by smoking, or eating fast food for lunch and dinner every week or being an alcoholic.

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Columbia » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:02 pm

kitty_cute wrote:Yeah same, there could be people who needed it, who hadnt done anything to get it.. i.e.. hadnt inflicted it upon themselves by smoking, or eating fast food for lunch and dinner every week or being an alcoholic.

Nobody chooses to have a substance problem, be that substance food, fags or booze. I really don't think you(or the Health Service) has the right to judge people like that.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.
*Pro-Choice and Proud*
Columbia
Advanced Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:08 pm

I agree with Columbia. However, people need treatment for their addictions before they can undergo operations, otherwise they will be too ill to survive the operations.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby kitty_cute » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:15 pm

Yep good point Thirteen.

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Debate Forum