Did evolution happen??????????

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes : 33

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:11 pm

So, who thinks it did and who thinks it didn't???? and why??? :?: :?:

Personally, I think it didn't because if we evolved from monkeys/apes then why do the still exist?
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:38 pm

I believe in evolution.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:44 pm

I'm not saying that I'm right, but just asking - why?
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:05 pm

The Adam and Eve story is ludicrous. Their children would have needed to commit incest for the human population to increase!

The theory of evolution makes sense IMO. Animals and humans evolve over a long period of time due to genetic mutations. Evolution is happening in the natural world as we speak.

Why is it that religion and science can't go hand in hand?

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:32 pm

Religion and science can go hand in hand. But why are we assuming that evolution and the Adam-and-Eve story are the only two options here?

ChocFC, you have touched on evolution's Achilles' heel. No one knows why apes still exist as apes if evolution really occurred. But nor do we know why Neanderthal men died out, as there is concrete proof of their existence. There are holes in human understanding of evolutionary theory, not in evolution itself. I think it is a plausible hypothesis, even if we haven't found the missing pieces of the puzzle. Although I would have liked a 'don't know' option (because we can never know) I voted yes.

For me, the creation story of Genesis is meant to be interpreted figuratively. God created the world in seven days...but how long is a day in the eyes of Someone who has been around forever? If you accept that a human understanding of the word 'day' might not reflect God's, then evolution becomes possible in Judeo-Christian and Islamic thought.

Although I am interested in the way the world came about, I don't think it is all that significant. Far more important is what we do with the earth now that we've got it.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby eDan » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:56 pm

The whole topic remains very much the domain of theories and interpretations. Having a secular upbringing, I am in favour of the scientific evolutionary explanation of the Universe's beginnings as far as it goes, however I do like Vicky's approach whereby both creationism and evolution (and at the same time neither of them) remain as options, and not mutually exclusive at that.
Likewise, while scientists can stretch they grey matter on figuring out the greatest of questions, I'm also favour in spending much more time and effort in ensuring the preservation of our blue - green sphere.
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:43 am

parnassus wrote:Although I am interested in the way the world came about, I don't think it is all that significant. Far more important is what we do with the earth now that we've got it.

Once again, Vicky is right.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby fuzzy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:38 am

Evolution definetley happened. The adam and eve story is now interprtted as a myth; a way of explaining how the world came about but not to be taken litterally. I think that in todays society, which is both technolically and sceintifically advanced, it would be foolish still to reject Darwin's veiws- there is so much sceintific evidence poitning towards evolution yet absolutley NONE for the Bible's version. This is because it was a hypothetical thesis created most likely by philosophers 2000 years ago as a way of explaining the mysteries of the universe.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:36 pm

Darwinian evolution isn't the only evolutionary theory out there. Likewise, Biblical literalism isn't the only creationist theory around. There are many different ideas. Let's not oversimplify things.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:11 pm

Yes, you never know. If someone starts digging in the right place the whole theory could change!
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:39 pm

I was going to put an 'not sure' option, but I forgot.
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:10 pm

I agree with Vicky (as usual). Just because something can't be explained YET, it doesn't meant that there isn't an explanation.

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby monkey » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:33 am

it depends what type of eveolution your talking about. evolution is a term that is used to mean some very differnt things. natural silection is defently a fact (DNA has this programed into it and alows this but only to the point in which it is programed to) we can see it all around us. what i dont agree with is that one living organism can change over time (no matter how many 'millions' of years) into somthing else. to belive this you musts first be ignorant to the complexity of the cell. it is complexity that is the death of this type of evolution. i wont go to into it becasue it would take to long. but i will give the name of a book that i sujest you read for yourself, i sujest for any one asking this question to do your own research for both sides of teh agument ruther than hereing it form some one esles mouth. i had an obsession with this subject for a year when i was in high school and i found out some very interesting things.

her is the name of the book. it is not writen by a christain or religious person so it is not religious in any way.

'the biochemical challenge to evolution, Darwin's Black Box'
by Michael J. Behe. (micheael J Behe is a professor of biochemisty at Lehigh university)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/068483 ... 5&v=glance

i had so much trouble with reading this book i gave up many times but i returned to it for more study and fustration many many times becuase it is very interesting and well worth reading.

here is a website aguing against what M J Behe said in his book: http://www.talkdesign.org/faqs/icdmyst/ ... l#argument
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:30 am

monkey wrote:it depends what type of eveolution your talking about

I'm talking about:

monkey wrote:that one living organism can change over time

as monkey put it.

And just to let everyone know, I didn't say anything about religion.
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:21 pm

I know you didn't. But most people, upon hearing the word 'evolution', assume that there are only two possible standpoints to take - seven-day creationism or Darwinian theory. There are actually dozens of theories going about.

I believe Darwinian evolution to be the most probable idea. We don't know everything about it yet, so contradictions and paradoxes arise. But much of the jigsaw puzzle is in place.
parnassus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Debate Forum