Did evolution happen??????????

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Did evolution happen??????????

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes : 33

Postby monkey » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:56 am

for any one with informaiton that they belive porves evolution id be interested in reading it.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:39 am

Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time and The Universe in a Nutshell. You could also take a look at Charles Darwin's The Origin of Species, but you must read Hawking's work afterwards because there have been scientific breakthroughs since Darwin was writing.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby monkey » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:55 am

the probelem is that i find most of the aguments in these rediculus. oviously Dawins book could not hold much towords the theroy itself becuase the knoledge of teh cell back then was so small (a blob of gelly back then) but even todays aguments are so esily reputed and in many ways when you stop and think about them logicly htey seem reidculas. for instance a famous proof is Lucy (astropithicus aferencsis) but if you realy read closly into that youll find that it could count as a very bad joke, i even found it rediculus, i had hoped that sience could offer better profe than jokes like this but its not science that cant its mearly evolution.

earlyer it was mentioned that apes today could be a proof against evolution but it is not. apes and monkeys come of a compleatly different branch than humans. so it is ocmpletly plausible that the apes we have today could be around at the same time as us. as acording to evollution they are an evolved version of there ansestors, not ours. though if you go back far enough we are 'related'.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby monkey » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:58 am

i didnt read the intier of these books but instead i read them in large chanks as you all know i strulge with reading. but as i also said i was obsesive about all of this for at least a year. my understnading is not great but form what i can understand it seems like the greatest hoxe ive ever come arounse and was very suprised and i even felt betryayed a bit by science whihc is suposed to be scientific.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:14 am

Darwin does not describe the biology of the cell in great detail. He focuses on adaptation. I'd be interested to see what you make of his observations of the Galapagos tortoises. As for Dr Stephen Hawking, he is a genius - precisely because he admits to the limits of his own knowledge. I don't think you'd find his books ridiculous. They are tough going - he is juggling with dizzying intellectual concepts - but he has studied physics all his life and is now one of the world elite, so he is worth reading. He makes a sound case, even if you don't agree with it.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby monkey » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:39 am

Darwin does not describe the biology of the cell in great detail. He focuses on adaptation.

this is becuase thed knolege back them was lacking.

I'd be interested to see what you make of his observations of the Galapagos tortoises

i think that this is simply natural selection (which i agree with) this can be seen in many species other than the tortose. i think at one point it was mentioned about sickle cell anima and i maleria on this forum, both another example of natural sulection but i disagree with the idea of it being a example of positive mutation.

As for Dr Stephen Hawking, he is a genius - precisely because he admits to the limits of his own knowledge. I don't think you'd find his books ridiculous. They are tough going - he is juggling with dizzying intellectual concepts - but he has studied physics all his life and is now one of the world elite, so he is worth reading. He makes a sound case, even if you don't agree with it.

some one that admits to there own limits is more possibly some one that is a genius (like yoruself) from what ive read of the (mind you watered down easyer to read versions on the internet wirten by other peole trying to explain it to people like me who are after answers) of it is yet to prove to me that evolution did infact happen. i do like the fact that he does phsics. i do have respect for him. i just dont have much respect for the theory of evolution. i dont find him rediculus just evolution.

im very happy to be haveing a discusion about evolution with some one:)
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby rachel » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:26 pm

no way
rachel
Splendiferous Member

Postby Danni » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:31 pm

I believe in evolutionary creationism. I don't see why they can't go hand in hand, but that's just me (also, somewhere else it says in the Bible that's God's day is thousands of years or something.... I'll try and find the verse).

Found it :)

2 Peter 3:8 wrote:Do not ignore this one fact, beloved,
that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years
and a thousand years like one day.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby happy_go_lucky » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:56 pm

evolution happened get over it their is too mush evidence to say otherwise and darwinism plus gregor mendals work pretty much explains the lot their are only one or two points that scietists debate about and lets face it they are gonna do this cause it helps keep them in a job to suggest that we did not stem from ape like ancestors is ridiculouse look how close our dna is to theirs
happy_go_lucky
Super Poster

Postby monkey » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:18 pm

origionly most of the DNA was classed as junk DNA as it did not code for proteins. so scientists only worked the precentige out on DNA that coded for proteins which had a 98.8% simularity. now its been discovered taht alot of the junk DNA has other perposis. and as time goes by more perposis will be found for the rest of what was called junk DNA. when comperaring cimpanzees and human DNA taking in consideration these new discovorys the percentige of simularity has now droped to 86.7% .

i would like to add that there are also huge simularitys between the DNA of humans and pigs and humans and mice. we shear 50% of our DNA with bananas. we shear lots of the same DNA with yeast aswell. only the ignorant in evolutionary cirules still use interspeicies DNA comparisions as an agument for evolultion.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:12 am

Danni wrote:I believe in evolutionary creationism. I don't see why they can't go hand in hand, but that's just me (also, somewhere else it says in the Bible that's God's day is thousands of years or something.... I'll try and find the verse).

Found it :)

2 Peter 3:8 wrote:Do not ignore this one fact, beloved,
that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years
and a thousand years like one day.

That's what I always think of when ppl say that one or the other is correct. I am a bio major so I get a lot of "evolution is correct" from some of my professors, but I just always think of a song by Casting Crowns that says, "I am a flower quickly fading, here today and gone tomorrow, a wave tossed in the ocean, a vapor in the wind." That's what one human's lifetime is to God. It's only about 1 second or so. Think of how many seconds are in one day. Imagine if He actually did think that seconds were as long as the average human life! Times all those seconds by six days. That would be a pretty long six days! 8) God is on His own time. What seems like ages between dinosaurs and humans was actually just one or two days for Him, I believe. 8) I think He evolved things in his own measurements of "days."
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Danni » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:07 am

You explain it so much better than I do :D

That's basically what I believe- even as a scientific person, that makes sense (but I'm also weird and think of God in the terms of an omnipotent alien- I think I've watched too much Star Trek ;))
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:38 pm

What is time? Seconds, minutes, hours, years, decades, centuries, milleniums? Time could jump around everywhere without anyone noticing because they're in a world, life and time of their own. Communication and light travel through time, but is it possible that everything is on a slant, and it's not known what time is, where we all are and how much power time has over us? Time and evolution are hand in hand. Time controls the growth and development of creatures. Evolution sees eyes watching the sun rise and set, changing and developing, as if performing to an audience of time. Evolution can't happen in nothingness, but can in darkness, so when can evolution happen? Is the planet suitable for evolution, what obstacles stand in its way? Did evolution begin as it means to go on? Is it real or simply an illusion? Did it end before it began? Was it destined to happen, how does it contribute to elements such as life and death? Or was it created from those two things? Is evolution an element of the past, present or future?
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby parnassus » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:57 pm

pinkparrot, most of those questions are absolutely illogical (from both a linguistic and a scientific perspective) and offer nothing to the debate at all.

Evolution can't happen in nothingness, but can in darkness, so when can evolution happen?

Actually, the principles of physical Uncertainty Theory state that evolution can happen in nothingness. But what is the correlation between nothingness and darkness? Are you just trying to seem profound and poetic?

Evolution sees eyes watching the sun rise and set, changing and developing, as if performing to an audience of time.

You're contradicting yourself now. You originally said that 'evolution and time go hand in hand', but now you make it sound as if time is passively static.

Is evolution an element of the past, present or future?

By virtue of its definition, evolution transcends all of those things. The question is pointless.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:52 pm

The debate covers evolution. I was talking about how evolution relates to nothingness, and the links between evolution and time.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum