harry potter

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:29 pm

I never notice mistakes. I prefer it that way.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:53 pm

Iv just noticed that in the new series of ER that the exterior of a prison they use for a scene is the same one that they used in the film the Butterfly Effect!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:09 pm

Is it me, or does hogwarts change in ,the 3rd film - the layout is slightly different to the layout in the first two films. and the uniforms change aswell.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:21 pm

I havent noticed a change in the uniforms- but yes your right chocFC- the layout does change. Many parts of the set have mocved- such as the Whomping Willow and Hagrids Hut. New parts of Hogwarst have been added- such as the rickety bridge, the clock tower and the courtyard- but i like the changes and additions- bravo to Cuaron says I!! *CLAPS*
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby towildhoney » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:41 pm

I like Cuaron the film it was very artistic
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby fuzzy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:51 pm

Yes- this is EXACTLY the point that I have been trying to stress towildhoney- Cauron's film was much more stylistic and arty than the other two!! It was also much darker, and the new sets were an excellent change from the quite frankly awful CGI hogwarts castle of the first two movies.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby towildhoney » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:56 pm

yes I likes the shot of the bird on the whomping willow but I supose in the following films there is not the time for this due to the volume of the books. Also I supose ther childrens films rather than arty ones. I still think the freedom curan had was built on Columbos previous explanations
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby fuzzy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:10 am

Yes me too! I like that shot- I also love the way hes played about with colour editing. For example, the way that the colours of the plants that die when the dementor glides past are so vibrant- the reds and purples!!! I also love the small details that he has added in- such as the whomping willow's leaves falling off and it shivering!!! I think that we also see a lot more of Scotland in the third film- which is what JK Rowling wanted- the sweeping lochs, the pine ridden forests, tis great!!!As for Columbus building some sort of base for Cauron which allowed hs freedom, Im afraid I have to disagree, towildhoney; Cauron is simply a much better and more talented and original director.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby kitty_cute » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:31 pm

Cauron did make Hogwarts look nicer, but I dont really think he should have changed the castle so dramically. And the Uniforms shouldnt have been changed. And just one last note - HERMIONE DOESNT HAVE BUSHY HAIR ANYMORE!
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:51 pm

fuzzy wrote:Yes im very non observant!! I was looking through the ones of the first two Harry Potter films (I am subtly choosing to ignore the fact that there are more mistakes in the third film lol) and, being the true geek that i am, I stuck the Philosopher's Stone on and saw some of them for my selves- which has made come to the conclusion of 'OH MY GOD..... CHRIS COLUMBUS IS AN IDIOT!!!'

I don't think he's an idiot, but I haven't noticed all the mistakes (and don't really want to). I don't like to look at movies and point out all the mistakes in them. After all, he can't really make the movie perfect, he's only human. :) I liked the first movies because I think they stayed true to the books, personally. I like the third one because it was more adventury. I liked the fourth one because it was very exciting and well done! 8) Just one question, are you saying mistakes in that they left something out from the book or mistakes in making the film? Because movies cannot always have all the things from books in them. As one of my favorite authors, Nicholas Sparks says, "movies and books are two different mediums."

In a book you can describe a character in one page, but in a movie it takes more time because you have to show how wonderful (or not wonderful) a character is. You have to show his good side many times to convince ppl he is a good person because in real life people don't just see a person one time and think he/she is good or bad. They have to get to know them. It takes time to do this in a movie, so some parts are sacrificed. Also, other parts may be sacrificed because there is simply no good way to show them. The audience may get bored by something if it takes too long to explain it so they cut it out. This may be one reason they cut out the house elves from Harry Potter and the GOF. Another reason for that is there was extra stuff like SPEW that went along with it and maybe the director thought it was unnecessary to put it in. It may have made the movie way too long for ppl who aren't Harry fans. I know I wouldn't mind an extra-long Harry film, but some would. 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:41 pm

No the mistakes that I was referring to are all technological ones- editing mistakes, mistakes with the continutiy, shot angles, lines, filming equipment visable (like HALF THE SET!!!) in the film, etc etc..... :D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby david456 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:25 pm

I still haven't watched one of the films in full or read the books.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:06 pm

kitty_cute wrote:Ooo update! Sorry, lol. On movie mistakes, it says there are... well just look at the figures.. lol. *is too lazy to type numbers, confuses brain*

Okay damn, that makes it more confusing, guess I'll have to type, heh :oops:

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - 198 mistakes
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 287 mistakes
Harry Potter and the Prinsoner of Azkaban - 290 mistakes [note how I conviently bolded that, the largest mistakes!
Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire - 66 mistakes - is this director the best of the three?

Some stuff for you to think of there!

Are you saying "mistakes" as in they left stuff out of the movie that was in the book or "mistakes" as in filming mistakes?
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:13 pm

kitty_cute wrote:Cauron did make Hogwarts look nicer, but I dont really think he should have changed the castle so dramically. And the Uniforms shouldnt have been changed. And just one last note - HERMIONE DOESNT HAVE BUSHY HAIR ANYMORE!

Yeah, I hate how they didn't make Hermione look a little more "bushy haired". I mean, Emma Watson does a good job with her personality, but she needs to look a little different. Like her hair/clothes should not be so neat and pretty. The uniforms should have stayed the same, I agree. I do NOT like how Curon changed the Fat Lady too. She wasn't as fat! It just wasn't as cool! Also, Harry's hair needs to get messed up more and Ron's long hair? That's just wrong. I hope they cut it for the next one! I liked the old Dumbledore much better. I think they should have made Ian MacKellen Dumbledore because he looks (and sort of acts) like Richard Harris' twin! 8) Michael Gambon is ok, but I liked Richard so much better! Unfortunately, he died. I was so sad! :cry:
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby happy_go_lucky » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:27 am

Nope it isnt great however with the source material im sure they did their best harry potter for a start is very poorley written the characters are wooden and it shows a lack of enthisiasm by the writer in fact i would say they are some of the worst books i have ever read
happy_go_lucky
Super Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum