harry potter

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby happy_go_lucky » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:46 pm

hey morality is subjective
happy_go_lucky
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:24 am

morality is subjective

Do you really think so? I think that religious belief is subjective, but that there are moral absolutes that are true of all people and in all situations.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Danni » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:34 am

As for Harry being all good- he nearly uses an unforgivable curse. I actually felt sorry for Malfoy, so he's not all bad, either :P
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:41 pm

Sympathy sort of rolls around characters so you always feel sorry for them at one point, but not all the time. Some characters get more sympathy than others; I think that's why some characters are considered more evil than others.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:42 pm

morality is subjestive look at nazi germany what they did was morally acceptable in their society however empathy is instinctive and that should be the compass for any moral outlines that a society would impose

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:13 pm

monkey wrote:for a book that lacks gray charachters Snape does an amazing job. i defently consider him to be one of the main characters as his dissisions have proved to be very crutial to recent out comes, and asuming that dumbledore is an important character then those recent events are also important. (incase people are reading this who still havnt read Half Blood Prince i didnt mention the acutle events ) there is not a charcter in the book that doesnt have there fults, Ron strugles with jelosy as an example. harry has had many conflicts, in the second book he found him self speaking in snake (have no idea how to say the actul word so wont try spelling it) this as you know is considered a dark art by most of the wizard world. he even begane to question himself. and more recently his rash actions lead to some peole very close to him getting hurt. as far as Draco Malfoy is concerned he almost turns to the 'good' side when dumbledore offers him. he may have but at that moment they recived company. i cant remember ever seeing a time where Draco strugled so much bettween 'good and bad'. also you seem to have forgoten the ministry with there own gray. umbridge and the minister himself are examples of people on the good side doiong bad deeds.

but let me add that i dont think theres anything wrong with Harry being good. there are good people in the world who would do there best to do what is right, and there not as uncomen as you seem to think, there for it is not so highly unprobeble that Harry is a good person, and that he has found to true friends. true freinds also exsist, i have one and i do belive htat the people on this site are all good people and there certainly all good friends. some things are more defined than gray. also im very glad that Harry is good, he dosnt seem to be the most powerful wizard or the brightest or anything else like that, what makes him a hero is not these things but his goodness and bravory. to empasise his goodness his bravory though on its own a good cahrataristic would not of lead to him doing the things that he has done, becase alot of them have called for a disregard for himself. selflessness is a sign of goodness, you simply add bravory to it and you get our Hero.

yeah, it's like what Hermione says to Harry in the first movie. I don't remember if she says it in the book, but here it is:

Hermione: You're a great wizard, Harry.

Harry: I'm not as good as you.

Hermione: Me? Books and cleverness. There are more important things like friendship and bravery and Harry, just be careful.

Harry is a hero just for being a friend and being brave. I know a lot of people like that. People can totally relate to Harry. He's loyal, fun, brave, a good friend...

As for the bad guys not having shades of gray... what about Voldemort?! He's got so many layers to his past...so many prejudices...so much anger! He's kind of like a fictional Hitler, I've always thought. That's what makes him evil! I agree with whoever said Snape has shades of gray as well. I think he has so many layers. Ms. Rowling said that there are so many parts to the characters' pasts that we will never know half of what they were like by just reading the books! The mark of a great author is someone who can give good characterization to their characters. Characterization is when an author uses words to explain the character's motives and actions.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to Debate Forum