vending mashing

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

do u want vending machine band

yes
No votes
no
80%
may be
10%
i dont no
10%

Total votes : 10

vending mashing

Postby sumer » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:08 pm

do u tink dat vending machine should be band
sumer
Forum Master

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:26 pm

I put on weight as a result of vending machines. They're like everything else-use it in moderation. Use it too much and you can expect trouble!
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:59 pm

i say no! we shoudl eb educated abtou healthy eating and then give the choce . other wise we become ignarent abotu food and then rebel and eat crap!!
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:01 pm

We should never have been introduced to junk food in the first place. I think it's one of humanity's biggest mistakes. Everything would have been a little better.
pinkparrot

Postby fuzzy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:18 pm

I think that they should at least be cut down on in schools, or be replaced with ones that stock healthy food, like alpen bars or apples. But outside the school environment, no. If ppl want to eat crap, they should be able to, even if others dont agree with it; its a free country. But i DO agree with having a better example avaibale for kids.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Danni » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:56 am

In schools- it would probably be better to replace them with healthy ones that stock fruit and water and milk. In general- no. I need my chocolate fix :P

The college couldn't get rid of theirs - the tutors would complain :P
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby sumer » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:05 pm

[quote="fuzzy"]I think that they should at least be cut down on in schools, or be replaced with ones that stock healthy food, like alpen bars or apples. .[/quote]see dat de ting in my skool it is healthy but dey are getting banned any way and we have a tuck shop wit way more junk in it and dats not banned
sumer
Forum Master

Postby pinkparrot » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:38 pm

? Doesn't sound like anything's happening on the junk food front...
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:15 pm

Education is the most crucial thing here. There is nothing wrong with having a chocolate bar at morning break, providing you're getting a balanced diet with at least five portions of fruit and vegetables each day. There is something very wrong with outright prohibition. If chocolate, crisps, and sweets are constantly appearing in the same sentence as 'childhood obesity' in the same newspapers that feature photos of stick-thin celebrities, what message does that send out to uncertain young people - especially girls? As someone who has had an eating disorder, I know the answer to that one.

We are getting very unhealthy as a society. Children need to be taught the value of good nutrition, and healthy food needs to be given more 'street cred'. How is it that there are countless adverts for chocolate on TV but none for the healthier products? Moderation in everything.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:47 pm

Our school has gone healthy as a result of Jamie Oliver's Campaign to get schools to sell more healthy lunches. I think one of the first thing they did was put healthy things in the Vending machine.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:53 pm

And has it worked- are ppl now more healthy concious, fudge cake (soz too lazy to type in the full name lol)
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:13 pm

I don't know about outside school, but if you can only get healthy food in the cafe then people have no choice. I have a packed lunch, so It doesn't really effect me.

On T.V there was a program where Jamie Oliver was making a school (I can't remember the schools name) more healthy. He viseted a junior school (the one he was at was a senior school), and showed the Children in one class some vegetables and they didn't know what they were. he then showed them some fast food restaraunt sighns and they knew what they were. He got that class to be more healthy, even at home.

I think all schools (in England) are supposed to be comming more healthy.
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Danni » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:00 am

I suppose I should have stated that the no vending machines rule should only apply to primary schools, as it's too much of a temptation. Bring back apples and milk at breaktime! (I had them all during infants). By secondary school, there should be a choice, with the healthy food being cheaper :P
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:14 am

Yes, introducing junk food to young, innocent children is asking for trouble.
pinkparrot

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:05 pm

When I was in Junior school, we had a change of head teachers. the new one made a new school rule which said that at break we could only eat fruit/fruit products (like dried fruit). To get around this rule, some people had fruit winders, which were supposedly made of fruit, but really had loads of suger in.
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to Debate Forum