Life. What is it?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Life. What is it?

Postby pinkparrot » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:43 pm

A very strange question and I'm only bringing this up because I have no idea where I'm going at the moment.

So what do you think? Is your whole life mapped out for you? How much control do we, as human beings, have over our lives? Do we determine the next chapter of our lives by the way we think? What role do such forces as fate play? What are your thoughts on life? Is it possible to foresee what will happen next? What is life, and why was it given to us?
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby parnassus » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:06 pm

To (attempt to) answer those questions in reverse order...

What is life?

My religious faith colours my answer to that question. In Christianity, life and love are two words for the same thing. We were created to love, which is the greatest and most beautiful thing in the world. The only thing that gives life meaning is love.

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." - Matthew 22:37

The Hindu scriptures depict life as a journey, and I agree with that too:

If the human body is compared with a chariot,
The mind is the reins and the horses are the senses
Reason is the charioteer, and his self the lord
And the roads they follow are the objects of senses,
Being conveyed upon them is the lord of the chariot...

Steady and balanced is the state of such a mind
That uses the saddle of reason and the stirrups of restraint,
And fastens the reins to the bridle-bit of intellect;
The horses of his senses will ride away at a gallop
And the mind and its faculties will be in harness
Steering the chariot well to his destination.

The destination is Love and the journey should be loving.

How much control do we, as human beings, have over our lives?

I am a soft determinist, believing that we have the free will to sail wherever we want through life's oceans, lakes, and rivers. But those waterways are divided by mountain ranges and land masses that we do not have the power to change. We are influenced by our family, friends, and neighbours, by the media and materialism, - if we listen - by God's plan for our lives. Some people have more freedom than others because they are able to break free from media images and the more damaging effects of our culture. Remaining captive is, in itself, a choice.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby fuzzy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:25 am

This is way too deep for me, lol! I have a dilike of philosophy (just had a bloody lecture in it) so Im not answering on the grounds of being stubboprn! MEH! :P
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby intowiz » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:18 am

i believe the choices we make ourselves are what change the future. im a firm believer of every action has a consaquence and these actions should be changed incase there are consequnces of a different kind. i am also a spiritualist so i believe that we are guided towards something by are own guides.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:45 pm

sorry i meant to write should not be changed.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby towildhoney » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:10 pm

Philosophy undergrad sorry fuzzy

I belive we have free will, and that it is our choices that define us rather than our circumstances. They are influences. As humnas we have the ability to rise above our circumstances and choose! We are all free, we can listen to others desires and expectations Gods? but it is us who ultimatley make the choices.
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby Columbia » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:58 pm

G-d, what deep questions...Um...To me life is just LIFE! It's being alive, having a beating heart, being able to think and feel and dream and love and hope and cry and bleed. It's EVERYTHING! Did that make any sense? :wink:

I'm not a believer in fate...Well, put it like this, I believe our life's ultimate destination cahnges all the time based on the choices we make. Fate exists, but can be changed. We, not G-d, not our parents, not our teachers, WE are in control.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.
*Pro-Choice and Proud*
Columbia
Advanced Member

Postby pinkparrot » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:22 pm

I'm going to try to answer my own questions.

I don't think life is mapped out for us because then we wouldn't need a brain and we wouldn't need to think or feel our way through the world.

I think we, as humans, have an element of control over our lives, but where necessary, God intervenes.

I don't think we determine the future by the way we think, but thinking positively means we are happy with whatever we're given and gives us motivation as we journey through life. Negative thoughts mean that your brain obstructs your actions, and action is necessary - thoughts have power, but cannot actually perform the action.

I'm not sure about fate but have written a lot about destiny in my stories - about things bound to happen because of prophecies or rules someone or something put forward about life. I think fate and destiny exist, but only as elements that are not really understood, so don't play a large part in life.

It may be possible to see the future, but I'm not sure about it because of perception, and fears and imaginings in the mind could cloud transmission. The future could be different through different eyes.

I think life is a journey, and a learning experience. It can be a challenge and can be simple. Colourful yet bleak, evil yet good, simple yet complex, a dream, yet reality. Lines are drawn between but it's all one.

I think life was given to us as a gift and a test. A world of such variation means it is hard to see what to trust and how to live. When to do and when not to do. When dreams become reality and reality becomes a dream. With so many ideas floating around the world, and so many young ideas developing, with so many colours and so many ways - I believe the purpose is to develop and change with the world and to see beyond what is before you.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:04 pm

parnassus wrote:To (attempt to) answer those questions in reverse order...

What is life?

My religious faith colours my answer to that question. In Christianity, life and love are two words for the same thing. We were created to love, which is the greatest and most beautiful thing in the world. The only thing that gives life meaning is love.

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." - Matthew 22:37

The Hindu scriptures depict life as a journey, and I agree with that too:

If the human body is compared with a chariot,
The mind is the reins and the horses are the senses
Reason is the charioteer, and his self the lord
And the roads they follow are the objects of senses,
Being conveyed upon them is the lord of the chariot...

Steady and balanced is the state of such a mind
That uses the saddle of reason and the stirrups of restraint,
And fastens the reins to the bridle-bit of intellect;
The horses of his senses will ride away at a gallop
And the mind and its faculties will be in harness
Steering the chariot well to his destination.

The destination is Love and the journey should be loving.

How much control do we, as human beings, have over our lives?

I am a soft determinist, believing that we have the free will to sail wherever we want through life's oceans, lakes, and rivers. But those waterways are divided by mountain ranges and land masses that we do not have the power to change. We are influenced by our family, friends, and neighbours, by the media and materialism, - if we listen - by God's plan for our lives. Some people have more freedom than others because they are able to break free from media images and the more damaging effects of our culture. Remaining captive is, in itself, a choice.

couldnt put it better myself!!! i agree 100% with you there

is ithis odd when i was 10 i was askign what life was all bout?
You toke the fall and thoguth of me above all
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby eDan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:53 pm

I don't believe in fate, of there being some pre-determined route in our lives. Who we are and what we do is result of our genes, upbringing and of society and and wider world around us. I personally believe that humanity reached a point in its intellect where many were no longer satisfied to believe that we are simply biological products of the great evolutionary process, that this fragile body isn't the be all and end all of our existence and that there must be something greater at work. However I do believe this is the be all and end all of it. That's not to say I don't think we should try to live our lives in a productive manner. We are fortunate in that the country we live in allows us to achieve a great many things in our lives, and we do have the sort of choices and possibilities a large proportion of the world's population does not. Be grateful for that.
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby david456 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:20 pm

I think life may be mapped out for us, I guess we all have a purpose and a unique skill. We help form our own destiny I guess. We have to help ourselves reach our goals, but if it's meant to be it's meant to be.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby fuzzy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:52 pm

I dunno- to a certain extent i believe that things happen for a reason- that all expereinces were meant to happen so that we could learn or gain something from it.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby david456 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:59 pm

I'd agree with that
david456
Mega Poster

Postby kitty_cute » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:43 pm

Humans should always learn from mistakes.... you usually do, so they are put in your path so life isnt so easy... it all makes you stronger, the harder things you go through.
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:51 am

I am a Christian so that influences my beliefs about life. I just learned in a retreat at a Christian camp that Christians (in general) believe:

we are here to praise and glorify God in our lives and deeds. As my pastor says, "Whatever you do in word or in deed, do in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost." This means we have to try to live our lives in a way that will glorify God. The way we do this is by praying (to learn how God wants us to live our lives), reading the Bible, serving, and interpreting the Bible.

According to what I learned at hte retreat, we are all here for a purpose. God gives us a purpose and He decides how many days we live, what our abilities are, etc. He also wants us to love one another and to show our love for Him. We do this by glorifying His name. I try to do this in my own life by watching movies and relating them to Christian stuff, using my gifts of writing, music, or serving to glorify Him. 8)

As for the purpose, I think I have to figure out God's plan for me. I don't know what it is right now, and I may never figure out the whole plan, but I know He has a great purpose for me in my life.

I believe we are all here for a reason.

Also, I think that Pinkparrot is right when she says that "humans have an element of control over our lives, but, when necessary, God intervenes."

As James Garner says in The Notebook, "Science can only do so much. Then comes God."

I just was asking some of this question last night when watching Armegeddon because my belief is that there will be an astroid or something that hits the earth at some point. I think that people will try to save themselves like in Armegeddon, but I find it hard to believe that man will be able to overcome what I believe God is capable of-destroying the world. When watching the movie, I felt as if one side of me believed it was okay that the world was ending because I believe in going to a better place. But I was insecure because I knew if I were in that situation, I would, like the characters, do anything to stop it. I am scared of dying and that's why I would try to stop it. But, also there is the fact that I believe in a Higher Power and I am scared that if I do die, I will not go to heaven. I am scared of leaving familiar territory as well. But, then, it would also be so glorious to finally see what I believe in happen, to finally see what I believe in come true. I guess it's a scary yet happy feeling for me (the end of the world). Sorry to get off on a tangent. I just had to discuss my feelings on the movie Armegeddon and my beliefs. 8) For more info on the movie Armegeddon go to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120591/ 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to Debate Forum