Life. What is it?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:28 pm

you have put it amazingly Herminonefan.
You toke the fall and thoguth of me above all
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:24 pm

I feel life has no pattern bar that of evolutionary change we are all but here to continue the species im a bit of a pesamistic agnostic lol :D and their is no presiding influence each event has no reason thoughts feelings the lot evolved because they are beneficial to us rational thoughts let us work out that we cant outrun a jaguar and no matter what the primative brain says it is pointless to try so u have to fight feelings all derive from empathy and a series of hormones empathy came about so we didnt kill each other which wont help us out as a species and things like pain sensations like this exist to tell you your body is in danger thats it

Postby parnassus » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:36 pm

each event has no reason thoughts feelings the lot evolved because they are beneficial to us

That doesn't account for our existence. The education system and people's prejudices have worked against the dyspraxic mind for centuries, and yet classical literature tells us that autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia et al have been around for centuries. I am prepared to bet that they go all the way back to the dawn of creation. We know from our own harsh experiences that dyspraxic people can only flourish in a special kind of environment, and that environment hasn't always been there. Yet people with learning difficulties continue to be born.

Secondly, there have been many psychological studies into the nature of altruism. Sacrificing your life to save another person (perhaps dying a very painful death) is not a beneficial behaviour, yet altruistic action seems almost reflexive in most people...
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:56 am

Black_Haired_Angel wrote:you have put it amazingly Herminonefan.

Thanks. :D

I also have to say this:

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." -Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump

Life gives us trials, heartbreak, happiness, laughter, the list goes on, but we will never know when each of the things is coming. That's why life is like a box of chocolates. That's what I think makes it beautiful sometimes and hard other times.

Also, here's another good quote on life:

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once and a while, you could miss it." -Matthew Broderick, Ferris Bueller's Day Off 8)

this is where I edited to add this in:

A quote from one of my favorite Christian Rock bands:

"I am a flower quickly fading, here today and gone tomorrow, a wave tossed in the ocean, a vapor in the wind..."-From the song Who Am I?

Although I believe we should excercise caution in enjoying life (eg. don't drink too much and don't drink and drive), I also believe we should enjoy it because it is short, like Ferris says, we have to "stop and look around once and a while or we could miss it."
-Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Or, Tim McGraw and Lance Armstrong have put it nicely:

"Someday I hope you get the chance to live like you were dyin'. -Tim McGraw.

"Livestrong."-Lance Armstrong

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I had learned what it means to ride in the Tour de France. It's not about the bike. It's a metaphor for life, not only the longest race in the world but also the most exalting and heartbreaking and potentially tragic. It poses every conceivable element to the rider and more. During our lives we're faced with so many elements as well, we experience so many setbacks, and fight such a hand-to-hand battle with failure, head down in the rain, just trying to stay upright and have a little hope. The Tour isn't just a bike race, it tests you mentally, physically, and even morally." -Lance Armstrong

"It's always a good thing to win a race before the Tour de France. I entered the Grand Prix Midi Libre to win it and I'm glad I took the leader's jersey before the last stage which should also be a tough one. (And he did win it... by 9 seconds.) "La vie est courte, c'est mieux de gagner". Life is short: it is better to win." -Lance Armstrong

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Cancer taught me a plan for more purposeful living, and that in turn taught me how to train and to win more purposefully. It taught me that pain has a reason, and that sometimes the experience of losing things--whether health or a car or an old sense of self--has its own value in the scheme of life. Pain and loss are great enhancers." -Lance Armstrong

"I take nothing for granted. I now have only good days or great days." -Lance Armstrong

"To believe, when all along we humans know that nothing can cure the briefness of this life, that there is no remedy for our basic mortality, that is a form of bravery....... So I believed." -Lance Armstrong

"I can get up every morning and look at myself in the mirror and my family can look at me too - that's all that matters." -Lance Armstrong

"We have an obligation to be good people. I can be mean, I can yell and scream and cuss and be seemingly a bad person. But at the end of the day, I'm going to do whatever it takes - if I was checking out that night - to prove that I was a good guy. Whether it was giving back to the world of cancer, giving back to the world in general, giving back to my family, giving back to the sport - whether it's financially or your time, whether it's that yellow jersey in the suitcase, if it's just giving it away, that's what you've got to do." -Lance Armstrong

Sorry for the massive quotes. He's just a guy I look up to a little. :lol:
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Taradino_Cassat » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:33 am

Life is whatever you make it, it's not going to stop if you don't feel like making something of it. I make it fun, I smell the roses, If I'm living so be it, I'll live. Don't make it sad, Don't make it miserable because sometimes that'll make you think of breaking what you have spent making life. It is there and it is not going away so make the most of it.
If you can find a Videogame you can beat me at I'll give you $1000000.

"Whoops I dropped the soap! ^_^;"
Taradino_Cassat
Advanced Member

Postby Andy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:05 pm

As a christian I believe that even before I was born God had already planned this moment in my life. It isnt an accident that I am Dyspraxic or that I am sitting in front of a computer at this moment in time.

"for everything comes from God alone Everything lives by his power and everything is for his glory"
Romans chpt 11 v36
I know that God has a plan for my life I just dont know what that plan is yet
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Alice » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:20 pm

If we trust science your question is easy, we've all heard of MRS NERG (such a clever acronym :roll: ) But I beleive that life for humans, and mabye some animals, Is also a state of conciousness. A point where our perception is limeted but our eyes are not completley shut. We see things in this world but are not aware enough to know what is truly real and what our minds have devized to sheild our fragile sense of reality. I dunno how else to put it. It's hard to explain in words.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:33 pm

As a christian I believe that even before I was born God had already planned this moment in my life. It isnt an accident that I am Dyspraxic or that I am sitting in front of a computer at this moment in time.

Being a Christian doesn't rule out the possibility of free will, Andy. I don't believe that my dyspraxia is an accident either, because that is something fused into my neurology - something that had to be created. But I don't believe that God has pulled an invisible puppet-string and forcibly moved me to this computer room at 23:28p.m., 3rd March '06. There are thousands of other things that I could be doing right now, but I chose to come here of my own free will.

Of course, God knew that I would choose to come here before I did. He knows all the choices I am going to make throughout my life, however minute they are, however trivial. But He didn't make them for me. He will guide me readily if I ask and He will reveal His will to me if I ask to know what it is. But that, too, is my choice.

Alice, you are basically describing the Hindu concept of 'maya' (illusion). The idea of imperfect perception comes from Platonic philosophy - the allegory of the cave. I think I understand what you mean.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:41 pm

Sorry Parnassus what I meant to say was that God knows everything that I do even before I do it of course I have free will to do what I want isnt it a good job tht God is an all forgiving God cos I sometimes say and do some not very nice things and have real horrible thoughts especially against those who give me a hard time. Sometimes its easier said than done forgiving someone who is nasty to you .
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:38 pm

Sometimes its easier said than done forgiving someone who is nasty to you .

I've been struggling with that recently. :) I hold grudges. It's encouraging to know that I'm not the only one having to fight them off...sometimes it can seem like a lonely struggle. The easiest way to do it, in my experience, is to recall how miserable you felt the last time you did something bad. You got forgiveness as a gift at that time. Remember how overjoyed and relieved you felt when you realised you had been washed clean and could start all over again with a fresh chance. Once you've summoned up that sense of joy, the natural urge is to pass it on and forgive. :)
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby C » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:39 pm

Life

Some think we have it forever
But it crumbles and disappears,
Why is it so hard to define life,
And why we’re even here?

Life is something breathing
Life is something awake
Life is something that has the power,
To mate and procreate

Maybe life is just what we do
to fill the time before death
maybe it's plants and not we humans,
that can live their life the best

Life is a precious time bomb
Ticking upright before it falls,
Some lose that time so quickly
Some never receive it at all

Life is friends and family
Life is memory, ambitions and dreams
Life is all around us,
The neonate, the buttercup, the leaves,

Life is the past and future
What has and what will be
But life is also the present
And that is the greatest gift for me.

That's one of my happier poems! :D
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Goldenhamster » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:20 pm

Life is a bed of roses...just watch out for the thorns!
You don't have to be dyspraxic to be exeptional

But it helps!
Goldenhamster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Debate Forum