Would you 'cure' your dyspraxia?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

would u cure your dysprxia if you could?

Yes
38%
No
63%

Total votes : 48

Would you 'cure' your dyspraxia?

Postby k9ruby » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:33 pm

Just thought it would be interesting..
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:30 pm

I don't know. I can't imagine life any other way. What would it mean not to have dyspraxia?
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby madame_tigre » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:09 pm

This is interesting.

My Dyspraxia is only mild so I can live a relatively normal life most of the time. My clumsiness, taking a while to say what I wish to say, difficulties in following instructions etc only frustrate me when other people get impatient and even then I don't get upset because I have these problems, I get annoyed by their intolerance.

A diagnosis can often be helpful enough, although I have decided to leave Scouts because I found my lack of ability in the practical tasks disheartening and I'm not impressed by the fact that another boy who wasn't very good at Sport left because he was bullied so much.

If something did come out which could cure, or at the very least control Dyspraxia I would consider it as long as it didn't cost £4000 or some other ridiculous price.

Actually, I don't know whether I would consider it. There are more important things in life. If you are a kind, caring person that's all that matters, what kind of person would care if you had Dyspraxia?
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:31 pm

I am severely dyspraxic. Even if a cure were possible, I would remain just as I am.

This question has been dredged up several times both on here and on Matt's Hideout - I can remember at least four discussions that centre on this. I don't feel up to posting my usual essay on the reasons underpinning my decision for the fifth time. I will look through the archives when I get time and copy my old responses.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

no

Postby k9ruby » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:48 pm

Mine is definatly a no. I have quite bad dyspraxia, and you may say im crazy. but no. It has made me who I am, (don't mean to be boastful!!) determind, committed, motivated, and plus i wouldn't of met you guys!!!!!!!!!!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby eDan » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:10 am

I would like to be able to do the things that dyspraxia prevents me from doing, however as others have said, you wouldn't be *you* without them, and we have no way of knowing how we would be in some alternative reality. My philiosophy is not to concern myself with things I can do nothing about. There are so many more pressing matters at hand! :)
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby towildhoney » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:43 am

Half of me thinks I would jump at the chance but the other half of me realises I would'nt be me without being dyspraxic.

I would love to be able to magic away my pysical difficulties as I genuinley belive that they cause bariers to me doing things I would like to do and my independence where as some of my more autistic personality traites which others would see as more pressing I acccept as part of me. I also think my physical problems if I keep on faling down flights of stairs and over on busy roads may seriously limit my life expectancy. I would not want anything that would change my mind or my sensory experience but some co ordination would be nice.

I doubt a cure will be an option for dyspraxia. I do howevere think that at some stage with genetic engeniring it will be posible to design it out or in off the un born child something that scares me to wven think about! What a choice to make?
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:57 am

The textbook Vickyesque response, copied and pasted in:

I go to occupational therapy and special education classes quite willingly, because they help me. But I would never shell out my money to anyone who offered to 'correct' me. Dyspraxic people often have difficulties with self-esteem as it is - and is it any wonder, when half the world, his mother, and his second cousin are determined to 'cure' us? That makes us sound diseased. It also suggests that dyspraxia is wholly bad, and that isn't true.

I am proud of who I am, what I've got, and how far I've come. It's taken me a long time to develop this self-belief, and I wouldn't exchange it for the opportunity to play Olympic hockey or a short-term memory that is absolutely watertight. I've met precious few normal eighteen-year-olds who are as happy with their lot as I am with mine. If people can't accept - or at the very least tolerate - my personality, then that's their loss. Not mine.

when I was diagnosed, I didn't allow anyone to tell me what it means to be dyspraxic. I worked that one out for myself. It was a slow, painful process, but I was determined to finally understand why I am the way I am. I have realised that dyspraxic people simply view the world through different windows. Our view counts. It's special. It's important. As I said at the very beginning of this message, it would be a boring world if all our thoughts were identical.

The Bronte sisters were dyspraxic, and Emily possibly had Asperger's syndrome. Would they have been the writers they were if they had been 'normal'? What about Albert Einstein, who was so clumsy he couldn't even tie his own shoelaces, never learnt to repeat his times tables, and was thrown out of his high school because of his weak attention span? The theologian and writer G.K. Chesterton had such a poor short-term memory that he once sent his wife a telegram saying AM AT MARKET HARBOROUGH - WHERE OUGHT I TO BE? Would he have been such a creative and unusual thinker if he hadn't had so many traits of dyspraxia? What about Samuel Taylor Coleridge? He was so disorganised that he had to leave university to try his luck in the army - but he couldn't cope with that either, because he was too clumsy to fire a musket and kept falling off his horse. Yet he was one amazing poet. Even so-called 'normal' people have a mix of different abilities; it's not as if you would be able to become a dancer with the Royal Ballet or a premier league footballer even if you weren't dyspraxic. 'Normal' people don't have all the luck and all the opportunities.

Every cloud has silver underwear. It may take some of you a while to learn to accept yourself for who you are, but you'll get there eventually. Trust me on that one.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:21 am

Dyspraxia brought me here.
A short sentence that means a lot.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby carrie » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:50 pm

its made me me and i wouldnt be me without it nor would i have it any other way
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby kitty_cute » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:24 pm

I have a mild case, but, its me. I wouldnt be me without tripping up, and spilling thigs 24/7.

And I wouldnt be here otherwise = D
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Danni » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:23 pm

I wouldn't want to get rid of my clumsiness... what I'm more after at the moment is someone to tell me, definitely - this is why you're like how you are, now we can work on making things slightly easier for you.

I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder earlier this year. I don't know whether I have it or not, but most of the symptoms I had could be a combination of depression and being a teenager a couple of years too late. I know I'm abnormal, I just want to know why!
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:21 pm

pinkparrot wrote:I can't imagine life any other way.

k9ruby wrote:It has made me who I am,

k9ruby wrote:plus i wouldn't of met you guys!!!!!!!!!!

pinkparrot wrote:Dyspraxia brought me here.

I agree. If I didn't have dyspraxia, I would not be me, and I would never have met everyone here.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

a well

Postby k9ruby » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:03 pm

Wouldnt life be boring without spilling your daily cup of tea...
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby carrie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:32 pm

indeed life being normal would be boring
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Next

Return to Debate Forum