Are you for or agaisnt wind farms?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

For
76%
Agaisnt
No votes
Not bothered either way
12%
I have no idea
12%

Total votes : 17

Postby kitty_cute » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:07 pm

Its a wide spread debate, with many other views and opinions - I would rather have tidal power, although I do think wind turbines are purty = D
I would like to know your view! I want a full on debate! *sits up and claps her hands together in dramatic excitedness*
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:22 am

Three years ago I quite literally didn't give a damn about the environment - a sharp contrast to the beliefs I held when I was eight or nine, when I had an autistic-style obsession with the rainforest. Like many obsessions, that one died. But I secretly felt very guilty that I could no longer summon up any interest in conservation. I prayed for that interest to return - and my prayer was answered. I'm now a 'green girl', and growing greener.

We are doing terrible things to this planet. Wind farms would do a great deal to combat the steady destruction of the ozone layer, even though I think they are spectacularly ugly. However, offshore windfarms needn't obstruct anybody's view.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:42 am

I remember doing this in Yr 9 and knowing exactly what I was doing. Spooky. I remember talking about ugliness, noise of the turbines, destroying the nature of the countryside, taking up land that could be used for something else, it only producing energy when it's windy so should be in windy places, it producing limited energy compared to other ways and it being expensive. I am not so sure about the last two - my faulty memory could be to blame here. I could probably go on if I knew more than just the factors to consider. I hope someone can expand on this.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby parnassus » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:53 am

I remember talking about ugliness, noise of the turbines, destroying the nature of the countryside, taking up land that could be used for something else, it only producing energy when it's windy so should be in windy places...

Building the wind farms offshore would solve all those problems - unless we are worried that we are going to spoil the view for passing tuna. It may be expensive to build the farms offshore, but the price we are currently forcing our planet to pay for our cavalier attitude to conservation is much higher than the cost of a bunch of wind farms.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:19 pm

Did I imply that I was against wind farms?

I don't mean to take any sides here - at least not yet. I don't have enough information to form an opinion.
pinkparrot

Postby Rosel » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:26 pm

i think they look great, especially at sea. There are tonnes in Northern Germany because it's so flat and even on mountains in Southern Germany.
I saw one near Heathrow airport that was all light up (maybe for Xmas) andi thought hat looked good too.
I never found them noisy in germany, maybe it depends on the direction of the wind, whether the sound is carried towards you or not.
Rosel
Advanced Member

Postby carrie » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:08 pm

Im for them but can see why it would be bad if you lived nearby
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:59 pm

It's difficult because it's something I can't relate to. If I lived near a wind farm for a few days, then I'd probably return with some ideas on the matter. So far, I don't see that happening.
pinkparrot

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:29 pm

The best solution is offshore wind farms. These are out at aea, and won't upset anybody.

There are some environmental problems with wind farms. The concrete used to make the bases pollutes the gound. They take a lot of energy to construct. Birds are sometimes killed by the whizzing blades. However, in comparion with nuclear energy or fossil fuels, they are clean. Also, the wind isn't going to run out any time soon.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby kitty_cute » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:05 pm

Yeah, offshore wind farms are good, but I prefer the tidal power, theres so much power in the sea and can easily produce clean renewable energy. Thing is, Im not clued up wheather it kills marine life?

Theres heaps of wind farms in Cornwall, they look quite odd on the deserted moors of Bodmin. [Well I think its Bodmin anyway]

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Columbia » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:20 pm

Anything that allows us to harness natural, enviromentally friendly energy and therefore reduce our reliance on oil from countries like Saudi Arabia and the US(both have been codemned by Amnesty International as "widespread violaters of humn rights") sounds good to me.

Sorry, I politicize everything. :oops:
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.
*Pro-Choice and Proud*
Columbia
Advanced Member

Postby kitty_cute » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:24 pm

Heheh no worries Coloumbria

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby david456 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:23 pm

They are a good thing, if they are proven to work successfully, but they are unrealiable because they only work when it's windy. They also look bad, as they are very prominant.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:38 am

There are certain areas where the wind blows pretty much constantly, which solves the reliability problem. And offshore windfarms solve the problem of ugliness: there's no-one there to see them. However, there are other problems.
1) It takes a lot of energy to build the wind turbones.
2) Birds are sometimes killed by the spinning blades
3) The concrete used to make the bases pollutes the ground

However, despite these problems, I think that wind turbines are still a good way to generate energy. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby kitty_cute » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:35 pm

Yeah, but although birds are found dead when wind turbines are around, scientists have no eveidence that it was the turbines

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to Debate Forum