Politcal Correctness

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Do you Think politcal correctness has now gone jsut a little too far?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes : 17

Politcal Correctness

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:21 pm

I think it has but what do you think?
You toke the fall and thoguth of me above all
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby Columbia » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:32 pm

If you mean political correctness such as forbidding children to make Mother's/Father's Day cards in case it offends gay parents, then I agree it's gone a little far. But if you meanpolitical correctness as in not allowing people to dismiss women as the "weaker sex" or to call gays "perverts", then I certainly don't think it's gone toof far. I don't think it's gone far enough!
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.
*Pro-Choice and Proud*
Columbia
Advanced Member

Postby fuzzy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:51 pm

Yes definetely- you cant keep ppl in cotton wool forever!!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:32 pm

I think it's gone too far. Some of it is great (for things like racism), but some things are just too much.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:14 pm

i felt at christmas ppl were delute it a bit with politcall correctness!
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby kitty_cute » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:26 pm

I agree with Chcoclate Fudge Cake
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby david456 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:22 pm

Political correctness is a very sensitive issue.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:30 pm

I didn't vote, because Black_Haired_Angel hasn't defined what she means by 'too far'.

If 'too far' means trying to forbid people from calling blackboards 'blackboards' for fear of offending people of that skin colour, then I vote 'yes'. I sometimes feel that the government focuses obsessively on non-issues, such as having the right language on signs (re-labelling disabled toilets as accessible toilets) rather than the issues themselves (providing more disabled toilets).
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:03 pm

by 2 far i mean

saying quick thinkign instead of brain strom

a local danign group puttign on a panitimine and not beign allowed callign the woaman "the evil step mother" incase it offfencds step famillys

chaign the name of christmas lights 2 winter ligths

that sorta stuff
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby david456 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:20 pm

Yes that is going too far. Christmas is Christmas. Pantomine is traditional and has been around for years and if people have a problem with it then they shouldn't buy a ticket to see it. They have the freedom of choice to see what they want to. I've always called my plan of ideas a brain storm. I'm not suddenly going to change it to a mind map as educationally advised. Nobody I know is offended by the above.

But this is a sensitive subject. Religion and Politics are two topics that will always provoke comment. The removal of the word Christmas sparks a big reaction and has done in many places this year, after it was removed from many signs.

Some American news networks were huge on it naming companies that removed the word Christmas and asking them to explain themselves.
Last edited by david456 on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:14 pm

ppl r going on abotu not sayign christmas incase of offended ppl withno faith or other faiths

wat if by doignt he policatl correct thing u actually offend christians?
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:31 pm

England is a Christian country (even though people with other religeons live in it). Why should we* change the name of one of our Festivels/holidays to because it Could offend people who arn't chritians, when I bet other countries wouldn't change their Festivels/holidays because it could offend Christians??? And it's not as though we** are asking/forceing non-christians to Celebrate chritmas.They Don't Have to celebrate it.
I don't think this post offends anyone. if it does, please tell what part so I can change it.

*as in the country.

** as in Christians and the government.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:52 pm

Theres a traditonal fete day in Cornwall called 'darkie day'. People dress up in traditional folk clothes and black their faces. However, some committtie has said its racist. I understand where they're coming from, but the thing is is that its not. Its traditional and its to show they're all happy or something... now they cornish are being forced to stop their traditional fate day, I think this is wrong, it even said on the news that black people live in the villiage, and take part and think its great!
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

actions speak louder than words

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:39 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:I think it's gone too far. Some of it is great (for things like racism), but some things are just too much.

It's like John Mellencamp says:

"People know this world is a wreck. I'm sick and tired of politically correct. I see through it now, but I didn't at first. The hippocrites are getting worse and worse. Looking down my nose at what people say. Words are words and words are okay. But it's what you do and not what you say, if you're not part of the future than get out of the way."- from the song Peaceful World

I think he's saying that politically correct is bad because there are so many hypocrites out there that say what they wanna say but don't do it. But also maybe he's saying it could be good if people acted on politically correct laws. if you want racism to stop, you not only have to make laws for people to be politically correct, but you have to act on them yourself. That's what has made ppl so mad about how our country did not act right away on Hurricane Katrina. Some ppl think it was because the government did not follow through on it's politically correct laws. They say that our government was being racist. I don't know if that was true, but they should have acted earlier in the situation either way. :( People don't always follow the "Politically correct" rules in our country and that's part of why racism still exists here.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Debate Forum