Does the Loch ness monster exist?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Does the Loch ness monster exist?

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:25 pm

Do you think the Loch ness monster exists?????? What is your opinion?????A monster? or a sea creature? or somthing else?
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:29 pm

Maybe it's a martian, or a mysterious creature guarding some kind of rainbow-coloured philosophical secret down in the hidden depths of the loch...

I wish! Oh, if only.

OK, back to Earth...probably some kind of very evolved creature or survived dinosaur. Or it could be a pile of junk moving in a random way or people pretending.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:52 pm

I think that it's a family of dinosaurs (Plesiosaurs) that has survived – if it was just one, then how come she/he has lived so long?????
I also think that SOME sightings (not all sightings) are Fakes, but Some are real.
If the Loch ness monster/monsters aren’t Dinosaurs, then I think it/they is/are a ‘new’ species of animal.

This sight has some information about the loch ness monster:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/5882/loch_nes.htm

I can't get it to work as a link, so You have to copy and past it.

Edit: Sorted the link. :wink: Matt
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eDan » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:26 pm

It would be fab if Nessie did exist! I have been on a boat trip on the Loch, and although I looked hard there was no sign of Nessie on the day I went. Whether there is a 'monster' or not, I like the idea of such a creature lurking in the depths of the loch!
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby david456 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:04 pm

If I remember correctly from a programme I watched there have been just two unexplained sightings in the last 100 years. (hope i'm right when I say this, may be wrong though and please correct me if you know differently) When I say unexplained I mean the others were proved to be fakes. It doesn't bode well for it's existance. If it was in the loch and was the only one although the lock is deep it would have been picked up on the numourious sonar tests that have been done to look for it.

I would like to believe that it is around. We know that the animal refered to as Nessie is a Dinosaur, but the chances of it surviving alone and without being proven is highly unlikely, unfortunately.

What if it was ever found what would happen to it?
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:57 pm

I don't think that there's enough fish in the Loch to provide food for a plesiosaur.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby pinkparrot » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:58 pm

Maybe the creature gets its nutrients from the water, like soup.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:03 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:I don't think that there's enough fish in the Loch to provide food for a plesiosaur.

Maby 'Nessie' Ate them all. And He/she Might not be a dinosaur. we don't know unless we Find/catch him/her. And 'Nessie' could have turned Vegaterian.

david456 wrote: it was in the loch and was the only one although the lock is deep it would have been picked up on the numourious sonar tests that have been done to look for it.

I'll Reply to that Tommorrow - Dad's Making me go to bed. :( Hoot.
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:46 am

see now i think its either a dinosaur of some kind or a dragon a big underwater feking dragon as some believe.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:04 pm

I guess we'll never really be certain whether it exists or not.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby david456 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:51 pm

Even if it was proved that it doesn't now exist (BY SOMEONE PROVING IT BEYOND DOUBT) then people still wouldn't want to believe it. It would lose the place thousands in tourist revenue.

I believe that there were types of this dinosaur for real at some point ,but not in the last few hundred years. Did it survive the dinosaur extinction? It is possible and may have lay undetected for many years, but there would have needed to be a family for them to survive for long long periods of time. They would have needed to have had baby Nessie's to keep the animal alive.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:26 pm

david456 wrote:family for them to survive for long long periods of time. They would have needed to have had baby Nessie's to keep the animal alive.

Thats Why I think There is a family of them. it's either that or A new speicies that has An Extreamly long Life span.

I wrote: david456 wrote:
it was in the loch and was the only one although the lock is deep it would have been picked up on the numourious sonar tests that have been done to look for it.

I'll Reply to that Tommorrow - Dad's Making me go to bed.

Well, I did some Reaserch and...

4. What is the Evidence?
Sorting through the books and films...

...• Sonar evidence of large moving objects.
- From
Should we believe in the Loch Ness Monster?
An exercise in the formation of belief
By Martin Pitt

... And There is also Sonar Evidence That there is Something Down there - Is it possible that 'Nessie'/the Family of 'Nessie''s Have a hiding place somewhere????
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby david456 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:58 pm

No proof of it though, through sonar, objects that may be something, but they may be rocks or masses of fish. There is no conclusive evidence that proves beyond doubt that it exists and if nothing is ever found then it never will be proved and so the legend or myth will go on.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby eDan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:25 pm

It's the old problem of proving a negative I suppose. How do you ever prove it's *not* done there. Whatever you do, there will always be some who will keep believing in Nessie, and why not I suppose, it's a bit of fun after all.
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby david456 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:30 pm

It also generates money for the area, as people visit it hoping to see Nessie.
david456
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Debate Forum