State vs Private Education

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby Esioul » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:05 pm

It would be nice if we could be equal, but probabyl impossible.

Dare I say, should the Top Model really be earning all that money? Shouldn't the man who has to emtpy the bins get somethign mroe for his time?

The smaller class sizes and better paid (so often more enthusiastic) teachers makes a big difference. I mean, when a teacher has a class of 36 misbehaving teenagers, some of which are almost violent towards other students and even the teacher, you can't blame them for finding teaching difficult!

Once I was bullied by some boys on the school bus. My brother saw it all so the school was informed, however, they insisted, that 'such nice boys' wouldn't bully anyone.
Esioul
Forum Master

Postby david456 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:26 am

If everyone was earning the same (treated the same) Isn't that communism? I'm not going into politics any more than that, but isn't this the case?

Everyone needs a job, some of it's luck, some of it's the skills you have. If you are trained with electricals (sockets, plugs, wires earth, neutral, live), you can be an electrician.

If someone looking for the next top model. It's about who is picking. If fashion companies decide to pay models good fees that is up to them.

There are plenty of people looking for jobs out there wanting anything they can find. But like everything, you start at the bottom and work your way up.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:58 am

david456 wrote:Your first point- Potentially, but doesn't follow, there are all sorts of tax credits and things you get for children.

You can, but these do not come anywhetre near covering the costs of havuing another person to feed, clothe etc.

david456 wrote:Who said that so called poor people are lazy?

Sorry. I think I misinterpreted you. I assumed that because you think rich people deserve to be rich, you also agree that poor people deserve to be poor.

I think that almost all people who are rich work hard, but not all people who work hard are rich.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby david456 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:43 pm

Let me clarify as I'm clearly misunderstood. I just said that if you work hard and happen to get a good wage with it, why should you not spend it how you want?
But earning potential is usually linked to the skill of the job, qualificiations, years of experience etc. So there are many factors determining wages it's a supply and demand thing. A tradesmen will get top wages at the moment because there is a skill shortage. A production runner may not.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:48 pm

I like private schools better, but I go to one. I like the smaller class size and I can get to know more ppl personally than if I was at a state school. I wiould be so intimidated. My sister liked her state school though because she had made some close friends and there were bigger classes so I think it just depends on your personality. 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby happy_go_lucky » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:22 am

The very nature of private schools is wrong it creates divisions within society and all education should be equal privatisation of the school system and private schools are two of the worst things on earth they breed inequality and further the class divide
happy_go_lucky
Super Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:57 pm

Most private schools here are expensive, but a lot of public schools cost about as much as a private school here. If you are going to college at U of Illinois it costs a little bit less than going to my school, but it is still a lot of money! That's why ppl are joining the armed forces and the community colleges. They cost less money and you can still get a pretty good education. They try to give out financial aid to ppl here and that sometimes diversifies the school more. Also, many schools offer ways to expose yourself to diversity. We have many foreign exchange programs and service programs at my school that fill that criteria. Also, the integration laws in schools require people to allow more diversity in our schools. 8) Yes, private schools are a little less diverse, but there are still ways to expose yourself to diversity at a private school.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:04 pm

i didnt mention diversity in private schools i spoke of the class divide and inequalitys within education

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:23 pm

private schools are two of the worst things on earth they breed inequality and further the class divide

Why do you assume everyone who goes to a private school is upper or middle class? A lot of my fellow-students at private school were from working-class backgrounds. My own father was born in a tin hut (that was his family's house) on the edge of a Norfolk sugarbeet field, so we aren't exactly close cousins to the Duke of Windsor. It is stereotypes like 'all private school students must be wealthy upper-class people' that further the class divide, rather than the schools themselves. There is a big educational inequality, I will admit that, but until all state schools start offering a decent standard of education then parents will continue to send their children to private schools. Few people will sacrifice their intellectual capabilities and their future careers for the sake of an ideology.

Postby parnassus » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 pm

That was me.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Danni » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:13 am

I went to state schools, and didn't do too badly in them. However, I went to a secondary school miles away from where I lived in Liverpool to get a decent education- the local secondary school was so bad it closed a year after I left. I had to apply, then appeal to get in though (it was oversubscribed).

The primary schools I went to were in more middle class areas, and that reflected in the teaching standards and in the school overall. I had some very good teachers, who loved their jobs and who made learning interesting.

Sammie will be going to the local primary school, mainly because it's a small village school and the class sizes are small, and because the teachers there are great. It's also a 10 minute walk away from where we live.

As for secondary schools, we'll see when she gets there :)
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:56 pm

you get my point why should it reflect at all that it was a middle class area these are the inequalities we face in education they are wrong and need to be combated

Postby Danni » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:35 pm

I understand your point, and I was very lucky where I lived at the time. Funnily enough the junior school (at the time the infants and juniors were seperate- they've been joined together now) was absolutely awful for bullying, and in year 6 I moved to a school that wasn't as academically successful, but had a much nicer atmosphere. It's wrong that there are so many problems with state schools, but unfortunately it's life these days.

The other thing I don't like is league tables. They in no way tell you the whole story. The school Sammie's going to comes in the bottom half of the league tables, but when only 16 pupils are taking the tests and 4 of them have special educational needs you can see why. The school itself is wonderful, there are probably going to be less than 20 children in each of her classes, the teachers really care about what they teach and it's not all preperation for tests! My brother went there for a few months a couple of years ago and was happier there than he has been anywhere. My partner went to school there when he was little and they not only taught him to read and write and maths, but they also taught him how to control his temper and how to cope with his many disabilities.

OK, waffled on a bit here so I'm going to post before it turns into an essay.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Joss1991 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:57 pm

i go to a ld school where about half my years statemented by the goverment and the other half there parents pay for so i dont think theres i problem with upper and lower class. However i have never been to a state (only private and ld) so i dont no much about how good the education is but i also think i shouldnt be about weather its state or private but about how good the education is.
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby happy_go_lucky » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:10 pm

it is very important the implementation of private education creates a two teir system where one can offer teachers more insentive to work for them and can gain access to better previsions because of funding differences it also means one set of kiddies are getting taught differentley then another and get different oppertunities
happy_go_lucky
Super Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum