State vs Private Education

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby david456 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:50 pm

You can apply that to dentists, doctors, and everything else you care to think of, but if you were offered £30,000 or £45,000, which one would you go for?
If your that determined to achieve and do well, I believe you will do it anyway, there is only so much a teacher can do, you have to have the ability in the first place. They are just there to help you reach your potential, some are good teachers and some bad.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:59 pm

Anonymous wrote:
private schools are two of the worst things on earth they breed inequality and further the class divide

Why do you assume everyone who goes to a private school is upper or middle class? A lot of my fellow-students at private school were from working-class backgrounds. My own father was born in a tin hut (that was his family's house) on the edge of a Norfolk sugarbeet field, so we aren't exactly close cousins to the Duke of Windsor. It is stereotypes like 'all private school students must be wealthy upper-class people' that further the class divide, rather than the schools themselves. There is a big educational inequality, I will admit that, but until all state schools start offering a decent standard of education then parents will continue to send their children to private schools. Few people will sacrifice their intellectual capabilities and their future careers for the sake of an ideology.

I agree. I know some people who go to school at my school who do not have much money and they still go here. I don't think private schools are just for people in the middle class.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to Debate Forum