What would you do?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

What would you do?

Postby eDan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:24 pm

I popped into Sainsbury's this evening after work, which reminded me of something I was meaning to post last week. I had just gone through the checkout at the supermarket and was sorting out my bags before heading for the exit when I noticed a £10 note on the floor. I picked it up, realised I couldn't have dropped it. What should I do?

I'll tell you what I did do shortly, but first I'd like to know what you would have probably done in this situation? Left the money? Handed it in? Kept the money? Or perhaps something else entirely?
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby david456 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:28 pm

I would have looked around to see if anyone was looking for it or was talking about losing money. If nobody was around and nobody looked like they had lost it then they must have been long gone. So I would have kept it because unfortunately you can't be too trusting these days.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Columbia » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:51 pm

I'd have taken the money and ran. :wink:
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.
*Pro-Choice and Proud*
Columbia
Advanced Member

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:53 pm

I would of handed it into the checkout person
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:00 pm

Funny you should mention that because I found a £5 note on the coach I commute to uni on about 2 months ago. Someone must have dropped it.

I didn't take it. I handed it in to the driver because it wasn't my money. I suppose I could have had a few pints in the student bar with it but it wouldn't have felt 'right'.

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby pinkparrot » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:05 pm

I'd look around and see if anyone had lost it. If not, I'd take it. Same as david456.

If I'd lost a £10 note I would have no idea where I'd lost it anyway so I don't think anyone would come back for it.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:37 pm

I would also look around fro someone who had lost it. If I couldn't see anyone, then my chances of returning it to it's original owner would be practically nil, so I'd give it to charity.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:17 pm

I think I would do the Same as 1337. If you started asking, then everyone would claim it. £10 is a lot of money.

I think Some people did a servay, by leaving so much money in a phone box/a similer place in Loads of different countries. The people in poorer countries who found the money gave it back, and the people in the richer places who found it Kept it, Because The people in the Poorer countries knew that they wouldn't like to loose it/ thourght the person who owned it proberly needed it. (they were asked why they handed it back.)
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:18 pm

Do you think I did the right thing giving it to the coach driver? I wonder if he kept it?

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby eDan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:38 pm

mattie wrote:Do you think I did the right thing giving it to the coach driver? I wonder if he kept it?

Mattie.

Since you mentioned it, I feel I should tell you what I did, as I did decide to give the £10 the lady at the customer service till at Sainsburys. She said something along the lines of "thanks for being so honest" and as far as I could tell seemed to put it in the till. This annoyed me rather as I had some image of an old lady who might somehow come to retrace her steps after realising she lost some money. Silly I'm sure. The thing is, at that moment I wasn't sure what to do. It felt wrong to take the money; it wasn't mine and after all £10 is hardly here nor there to me, yet I'm not very happy in thinking it just went to Sainsbury's profits either. So although I didn't feel bad, I didn't feel positive of my actions either. If I had thought about it more (which my brain wouldn't have been able to manage at the time) I should have thought that there's a Big Issue seller whose outside Sainsburys during the day who I could have perhaps given the £10 during my lunch hour. Ah well!
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby david456 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:27 pm

Unfortuanately I wouldn't trust handing any found money over to someone, as I feel that it would just go into their pocket.

I been next to people when they have dropped money and have
noticed. I've picked up their money as I'm usually quick quick and observant and handed it back and they have been really shocked that I've done so. People really think that your going to do a runner or something.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:29 pm

The thing is, all this talk of what you do when you find lost money has brought back a lost memory of mine. I was shopping and I noticed that the cashier had given me an extra pound. I returned it, even though I had walked out of the shop by this time. They said I was "very honest". I just couldn't take the thought on my conscience. For this reason, I probably would have given it in rather than kept it, as I thought I would have done.
pinkparrot

police

Postby k9ruby » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:35 pm

Handed it in to the police station. if you take it that is theft. My brother did this to a £10 note and got 15 back, with a big letter saying thanks!!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby david456 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:08 pm

If it were a purse or other item it would be different as it is distintive and identifiable and the real owner would be able to describe it. If I put a notice in a shop saying £10 was dropped in here the other day. Hundreds of people would say it was theres. If someone had dropped money like that in the shop where I work. I would have put a note on it saying customer dropped this and put it in a draw. So in case a customer came back saying I've lost some money. We can return it to them.

If it was hundreds of pounds then i would hand it in. I would want a receipt saying that they have the money though as I wouldn't want the real owner to lose out.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:22 pm

If you picked notes up with gloves then fingerprints could be an issue.
pinkparrot

Next

Return to Debate Forum