Labbels

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Labbels

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:39 pm

Does anybody here dislike the terms like 'specials needs' and 'learning difficulties'??
I know in a sence that's what the problems the sufferers might have, but i dislike them, im not sure how i would like it do be labelled otherwise.
And dyspraxia itself was even labelled stupid child sydrome (i wonder how we'd all feel if that hadn't been changed)
But the two words i hate like a very poisen are 'spastic' and 'retard' im not sure many of the people are even familier of the actually meaning or orgings of thease words but evreytime i hear them i get really annoyed, the other day a girl shouted at me and said i walked like a spastic (oh well her face was orange) i just wish thease words were never used again or even in the first place!
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby Joss1991 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:48 pm

i have trouble knowing what to call it dyspraxic , people change into dyspastic as it sound alike. DCD sound like i have illness and stupid child syndrem sounds even worse im not stupid i just have to try harder which maks me the detemined person i am. However dyspraxic the most like people have heard of in my experience so i stick with that.
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:56 pm

And dyspraxia itself was even labelled stupid child sydrome (i wonder how we'd all feel if that hadn't been changed)

It wasn't ever called that, thank goodness. You are thinking of Clumsy Child Syndrome. There have been bad names used for us, but none quite as awful as that.

I like the term 'learning difference', but I don't object to special needs or even learning difficulty. It's what I have.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby david456 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:14 pm

Fortunately we are in 2005 now and not the 50's. If we were in the 1950's we would have been put into a corner, branded lazy and stupid and left to it. Now conditions like Dyspraxia are picked up more and understood, where as years ago they weren't.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:59 pm

Clumsy Child Syndrom Isn't a good name for us - O.k, we May be a clumsy, but That name makes it sound like thats all there is - Clumsyness. And Not only Children have Dyspraxia, but the Child suggests it's Just Children.

I am glad That people don't Call dyspraxia Clumsy Child Syndrom anymore. I would hate haveing to tell people that I had 'CLUMSY CHILD SYNDROM'. opps. I put the caps lock on. oh well.

I prefer the name Dyspraxia.

Joss1991 wrote:dyspraxic , people change into dyspastic

If someone Did that (on perpose) to annoy me, then I would Correct them, and say... ...(err... I can't think of anything right now. hmm, maby sound it out for them like "Dis - praks - ic, can you say that?" as if they werre a little Kid. (And I know thats Not how you spell Dyspraxic.))
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:49 pm

I dont mind the terms 'learning difficulties or special needs' but it does make us sound like we mentally cant do things which I disagree with... right that made sense >< lol.

Also I HATE the terms 'retard' and 'spastic' its just politically incorrect how people say it so openly its not right... people call me retard in CCF and I just dont see how its amusing or mature. Its patheitic, and could hurt a lot of people.
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby madame_tigre » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:11 pm

I don't have any problems with the terms 'special needs' or learning difficulties' but I can see Kitty's point about it sounding like we mentally can't do things.

I get very wrathful when I hear people shout out 'retard' or 'spastic' in a politically incorrect way. Fortunately, now that I'm out of school and at work I seldon hear those horrible insults. I used to get called 'spas' when I was at school and I would respond in a way similar to this:

Me:Actually, I don't suffer from Cerebral palsy and even if I did, it wouldn't make me a bad person.

(10 seconds later) Bully: Er..you are a spastic.

I shouldn't have been so angry with what those silly boys said but I was. I do want to educate people, but how can I educate those who refuse to listen?
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:15 pm

There are none as blind as those who do not want to see.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

arrgh

Postby k9ruby » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:56 pm

But the two words i hate like a very poisen are 'spastic' and 'retard' im not sure many of the people are even familier of the actually meaning or orgings of thease words but evreytime i hear them i get really annoyed, the other day a girl shouted at me and said i walked like a spastic (oh well her face was orange) i just wish thease words were never used again or even in the first place!

I know just how you feel, ive had those words said to me too many times...i could scream. Dyspraxia/DCD are nmy preferred labels.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby kitty_cute » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:32 pm

Yeah its just wrong x.X
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:13 am

Labels are helpful for me when it comes to getting the help I need or explaining my "difference" to people. But, they can turn right around and be hurtful. One boy told me I was stupid in the first grade, and I had problems (still do) with that. I still sometimes think I am stupid, even though I am not. When I went to the LD class in high school, people used to label it as the retarded class, so that stuck with me some also. :cry:

I don't like it when people use labels the wrong way. If you use them the wrong way, they can really hurt someone, maybe for the rest of their life. Just look at Snape in Harry Potter: If he hadn't got made fun of at school, maybe he wouldn't be as bitter and cruel with people (esp. Harry) as he is now.

I admit that at one time I was cruel to a boy at school because my classmates were mean to him, even though I knew it was mean to do it. I don't try to be mean to people anymore b/c it made me feel sad to do that. People had labeled this boy many things. It was a very sad situation, but I was not confident enough not to follow the crowd. If he came back now, I would say I was sorry to him. :(

I don't like how people are so cruel to one another! :x
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby GirlInTheGraniteCity » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:36 pm

Believe it or not, I have only ever been called a spaz once. And it hurt so much. What did I do to them?

{{{[[[~~~~~~~~~~<<<<<<<OOOO♥OOOO>>>>>>>~~~~~~~~~~]]]}}}

Heyy I'm Caroline, add me on MSN if you like =D Peace out xxxxxx

GirlInTheGraniteCity
Forum Master

Postby GirlInTheGraniteCity » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:21 am

I also hate the word spesh. It is short for special, meaning special needs.

I'm proud of myself that I have never called a person spaz or spesh :) . It makes me feel a lot better than actually saying those words.

GirlInTheGraniteCity
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:28 am

GirlInTheGraniteCity wrote:I also hate the word spesh. It is short for special, meaning special needs.

I'm proud of myself that I have never called a person spaz or spesh :) . It makes me feel a lot better than actually saying those words.

Someone used to say that "Sticks and Stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me." THAT IS A COMPLETE LIE!! I think people still try to believe it. It makes me so mad when people call eachother names because those names really do hurt! I am so sorry that you have been called those names, that is AWEFUL! (((Hugs))) :cry: .
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby GirlInTheGraniteCity » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:46 pm

Hermionefan5 wrote:
GirlInTheGraniteCity wrote:I also hate the word spesh. It is short for special, meaning special needs.

Someone used to say that "Sticks and Stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me." THAT IS A COMPLETE LIE!! I think people still try to believe it. It makes me so mad when people call eachother names because those names really do hurt! I am so sorry that you have been called those names, that is AWEFUL! (((Hugs))) :cry: .

Aww thanks Hermione *hugs back*

GirlInTheGraniteCity
Forum Master

Next

Return to Debate Forum