Muhammed Cartoons

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Muhammed Cartoons

Postby madame_tigre » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:36 am

What do you all think about the cartoons on the Prophet Muhammed and the outrage it has caused?
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:55 am

I think it's insensitive.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:58 pm

what are they? i've never heard of them...
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby Esioul » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:25 pm

Well, from what I've heard (and I've heard quite a few things, some of which may have been inaccurate), they were rather offensive- something ridiculing someone's religion is wrong. But there is an issue of free speech- shouldn't we be allowed to publish/say anything we want? Perhaps within reason. I do beleive the terrorist actions it provoked were not necessery responses to these cartoons however.
Esioul
Forum Master

Postby eDan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:06 pm

It's rather sad the response to the cartoons seems to almost reinforce the stereotypes.
A forum for older dyspraxics too:
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby Esioul » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:13 pm

Yes, that is a shame. Terrorism does little good but to turn people further against the terrorists, and cause them to seek furhter ways to ridicle them. This kind of violent reaction was really uncalled for. I can see why people are angry and offended though, but violence shouldn't be rude. If someone amde a similar cartoon about Christians, I might be slightly annoyed, maybe even slightly amused at other people's interpretations of me (although I am not very religious), but I would view it mroe as a joke.
Last edited by Esioul on Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esioul
Forum Master

Postby eDan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:01 pm

Of course those involved in the violence are a small minority, but it further tars the image of the whole. And which does more damage to the Muslim world? These images of violence on TV across the world or a daft cartoon in some Danish newspaper. One Muslim commentator I heard on the BBC said that Muslims need to learn how to protest properly, and he might well be right at that. In contrast, us Brits are leaders in self-deprication, and our concept of protesting couldn't be more different.
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby Esioul » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:58 pm

Ooops, Imade a typo above- Meant to say that I am not [particularly religious.

Muslims or anyone who protests in that way merely make people feel more angry with them- it's not a good way for them to tackle issues due to this.
Esioul
Forum Master

Postby happy_go_lucky » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:49 pm

you have to remeber that a lot of these protests arent related at all to the cartoons in question and they are more a response to the wests general attitude towards the islamic faith the cartoons where simply the spark that lit the fuse
happy_go_lucky
Super Poster

Postby eDan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:13 pm

What concerns me is that violence and destruction seems to be the default response to anything in that part of the world. At the same time as the protests were being shown on TV, the families of those lost in the ferry disaster ramsacked the ferry company's offices and clashed with police. This struck me as counterproductive in their quest to find out what actually happened, but I do wonder if it comes from being in countries where the individual doesn't enjoy the support of the government and judicial system in getting to the bottom of such events.
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby Esioul » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:14 pm

Thsi kind of violence does seem to be a typical way (or is it misguided to assume anything is typical?) of reacting in some parts of the world. I have also heard of a lot of people (people I know) who are outraged by these cartoons (although they were not personally affected by them). I think some of the outrage ought to be directed towards the reaction to these things. True, it was a mistkae to publish them, but the reaction was wrong.
Esioul
Forum Master

Postby happy_go_lucky » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:18 pm

Actually i feel that "these places" are more likely to find out what happened then we are as corporations are a lot less likely to cover up their tracks simply because they dont have the money to do it and the violence in a lot of these protests over the cartoons is violence directed at the west as i said before cartoons merley the spark we do have a tendencie to be bas*ards in the middle east mainly because they have oil and we need it so we shoot maim and kill people to get what we want and because were ritcher more industrialised we have bigger guns and can cause more damage i feel if i had my homeland and i saw people just like me maybe even family members being attacked by some imperialistic power id be a little pissed off as well its understandable.
happy_go_lucky
Super Poster

Postby eDan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:18 pm

Everyone hates the Imperial power when it's not themselves (often for good reason it has to be said). Britain encountered no end of strife during their time in power (one reason, along with post-war economic reasons that they called it a day on the whole thing). Now it's the turn of the US and the West more widely to reap the rewards of global economic (and to a lesser extent military) dominance to the outrage of millions of downtrodden and exploited.

This said, the West does make an easy scapegoat, when a country's own corrupt self-serving government can be just as to blame for the poor situation of many.
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby Esioul » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:34 pm

It is exactly the 'shoot, main and kill' retaliation policy which I find distasteful. That said, anyone is suspicious of a foreign imperial power.

Britian is no longer really the imperial power it was- but perhaps stil suffers from the aftermath of being one, anf from its' relationship with other western powers.
Esioul
Forum Master

Postby pinkparrot » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:11 pm

I'm lost - is this about religion or about countries?
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Next

Return to Debate Forum