Muhammed Cartoons

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby kitty_cute » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:22 am

Ooo.. so I can eat Chocolate on Sunday's then?
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:07 pm

Traditionally you are allowed something called a libation on Sundays, because this was the day on which Jesus rose from the dead. Sundays are always special days in the Christian calendar; no total fasting allowed (although churchgoers should skip breakfast so they can receive Communion on an empty stomach). So yes, on Lenten Sundays you can eat chocolate - but not as much as you want. A libation isn't the same as a feast; you are meant to restrain yourself, in honour of the season. I usually have a chocolate bar/pudding OR a yoghurt OR a meat dish on Sundays in Lent, but never all three - otherwise its too difficult to resume my fast the next day. (I give up meat, chocolate, and dairy food for Lent.)
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby kitty_cute » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:40 pm

Ah.. cool, thanks for explaining Parnassus - your so good at explaining things! ^_^

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:09 pm

i dont assume all muslims think the same i think that the muslims who do think this should be able to take it as well as give it. the cartoons of muhammed were a joke a simple koke.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:55 pm

Sorry that I caused everyone to digress from the original discussion.
:?
Going back to the original discussion - the cartoons were totally inappropriate. I've known a few Muslims at university and the ones I've known have been lovely people. :)

Mattie.

Postby parnassus » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:58 pm

i think that the muslims who do think this should be able to take it as well as give it.

Basically, you're expecting an extremist to be reasonable. That's never going to happen. If they were capable of thinking reasonably, they wouldn't be extremists.

the cartoons of muhammed were a joke a simple koke.

They were actually intended to illustrate an article that described how difficult it is for Muslim authors to find illustrators willing to create pictures of the Prophet for a set of Islamic children's books. They were never meant to be funny, just pointed and satirical. Sadly extremists don't take kindly to satire. If I thought the cartoonists had some marvellous and insightful point to make, I would say, "Let the extremists learn to take it," but these cartoons aren't worth anything. They didn't have an interesting message. They didn't teach us much that we didn't already know. So what was the point?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby kitty_cute » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:22 pm

Yeah, in my opinion also, I think it was totally un called for.

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to Debate Forum