Public smoking BANNED from 2007! :D

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby Danni » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:21 pm

Summer 2007 :)
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eDan » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:05 pm

Excellent! Looking forward to that.

One thing I'm not looking forward to so much about my upcoming trip is that in many other countries of the world, people smoke like chimneys *everywhere*. After being used to smoke free trains, workplaces and shops, I think this will be something of an irritation, especially when travelling on confined trains. Hey-ho.
A forum for older dyspraxics too:
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby kitty_cute » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:09 pm

But.. this dosent take effect till mid 2007!
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:10 pm

Ooops Sorry, Danni already said that! :oops:

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:28 pm

I hope it will be worth the wait.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby sumer » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:34 pm

ireland already has a ban its really good (i have to hold my breath while i go by som1 smokin to stop me from havin a panic-a-acack) lol :lol:
sumer
Forum Master

smoke

Postby k9ruby » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:35 pm

This is fabulous news - the odds of experiencing sensory overload in the town square on Saturday have just plummeted. No more smoke-induced panic attacks for me!

Ah, thank you, Government.

Ditto! No more descreet retching either!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby sumer » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:39 pm

lol :wink:
sumer
Forum Master

Postby Sarah » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:39 am

I can't wait for the ban on smoking in public places to come into force, but, do you think it will include train station platforms? It's an enclosed public place where it is very hard to avoid cigarette smoke, particularly in the rush hour in the morning, but at the same time it is outside.
Sarah

Postby Danni » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:26 pm

I don't know... I'll try to find out though.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby C » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:41 pm

Does anyone on her smoke themselves? I think this is one of these issues where anyone who does will disagree and anyone who doesn't will agree. I can just see my dad (heavy smoker) finding it quite hard not to smoke in public places.

I myself am in favour of the ban. I've always thought it's not very nice for other people to have to put up with cigerette smoke. I particular worry about children when I see them exposed (it makes me so mad when I see a child in a pushchair and a mum or dad standing over them smoking!) And also in bars trhat have a smoking and not smoking area it really isn't fair on the non-smoking bar staff to have to put up with it.

I myself hate smoking, sometimes my dad or a friend at college will come near me after having a cigerette and the smell makes me gag. Maybe the smoking ban will act as a deterrent for young people tempted to start smoking ('there's no point in starting smoking if I have to go outside to do it'). People who do smoke can still do so in the privacy in their homes and it will do their health good to not smoke for a couple of hours, I say.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby sumer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:50 pm

i second dat speech

3 cheers
hip-hip-horaah
hip-hip-horaah
hip-hip-horaah
lol :D :) :lol: :wink: :oops: :P
sumer
Forum Master

Postby david456 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:22 pm

I have seen smoking kill people close to me. i could never become a smoker because of it. I hate going anywhere where it is smokey, as I end up smelling of smoke.

I've always hated it and I'm looking forward to a ban because you can't really go up to someone and say excuse me can you not smoke near me.

I walk past a hospital every week and I see pregnant mothers smoking with each other. That is terrible, as it can harm an unborn child.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby kitty_cute » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:44 am

I have tried smoking before, on several occassions, and I must admit I enjoyed it. But, when I talked to my sister about it she said 'How could you? You saw Gran in the hospital bed, and you saw the state she was in. And now shes not around. All because of smoking' And then it dawned on me.. its horrible. Thing is, I still get tempted, but.. argh..

I hate smoking, especially when they like, blow it in your face... grrr...

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:09 am

It was sensible of you to stop experimenting, Daz. My gran died as a result of smoking-related diseases, too. She had to have her leg amputated because of it. She was one of my best friends and I miss her so much. What hurts most is the knowledge that she could still be here now.

If ever you get tempted again, remember that every cigarette cuts seven minutes off your life. (True fact.) Think what you could be doing in seven minutes.

And also in bars trhat have a smoking and not smoking area it really isn't fair on the non-smoking bar staff to have to put up with it.

"Having a smoking area in a bar is like having a peeing area in the swimming baths."
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum