Public smoking BANNED from 2007! :D

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby kitty_cute » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:12 am

Thanks Parnassus ((virtual hugz)) Im sorry about your Gran. My Dad knew a farmer, who was a chain smoker and he had both his legs amputated, and then he died... not very pleasant..
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:26 pm

Vicky and Daz-sorry about your relatives. That's so sad! :( My uncle died of smoking related causes. He had throat cancer. They had to take out part of his throat and he could only talk by pressing on his throat. It made me think that i never wanted to smoke ever. If it hadn't been for cigarettes, my uncle might still be alive. :cry: But, when we think of him having died, we sometimes think it was a good time for him to go, because he was schizophrenic and he would have had a very hard time after 9/11. He would have been really confused and scared. My dad thought maybe it was better that he missed 9/11 because we were thinking of all those schizophrenic people who were trying to take bombs on planes afterward and such. They thought they were doing something right, but they weren't. My uncle sometimes did some stuff he thought was right when he was not doing well (he never did anything as drastic as bombs) because he was scared or confused about the world due to schizophrenia. We knew it was probably better because he might have had to suffer a lot due to being confused about it and we were thinking of the possibility that he could (probably would not do) those things because he was having a "schizophrenic day" and how he would be misunderstood by society. That would hurt him so much. :cry: He was a very nice man, exteremely smart (like i think he was close to 1st in his high school class) and I would not want that to happen to him just because he had a disability. So maybe it is good that God took him at that time in May 2001. He was a firm believer in God and I hope to see him if I ever get to heaven. I am sorry for getting off topic. I just haven't talked about him in a while. I miss him dearly. :cry: He used to play ping-pong and Stratego with me and my sister and make funny jokes. 8) It's sad that he had to smoke because I still want him to be around. He used to come to our thanksgiving dinners and I miss that. :cry:
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:27 pm

Im sorry about your Uncle Hermione Fan = (

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:33 pm

*Virtual hugs* xxx
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

smoking

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:05 pm

I hate smoking but I think that people should have a right to make up their own minds I mean eating and getting overweight is just as dangerous to your health isnt it? :evil:
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby kitty_cute » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:24 pm

I think Andy just made a very good point.

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:04 pm

I hate smoking but I think that people should have a right to make up their own minds I mean eating and getting overweight is just as dangerous to your health isnt it?

But the government isn't proposing to ban private smoking. People will still be able to smoke in their own homes, in their gardens, and even in open spaces such as parks. The problem with smoking in public places (especially inside buildings) is that one person who makes up his mind to smoke inflicts the consequences of his choice (lung cancer, a foul taste in the mouth, panic attacks...) on every other person in the room. Suppose there are sixty people in a pub and only three of them are smokers. Is it right that those three people should force fifty-seven others to smoke passively, even if the fifty-seven people don't want to? Passive smoking is even more dangerous than first-hand smoking, as the smoke isn't filtered.

Now, let's take this further and make twenty of those fifty-seven non-smokers asthmatic. Let's give sensory integrative dysfunction to another twenty and a smoke allergy to the remaining seventeen. So, we've got two options: either those fifty-seven people stay at home and never go into public buildings just so other people can exercise their 'right' to smoke whenever and wherever they want, or smokers can be made to smoke in the privacy of their own homes and in places where other people aren't in danger of breathing it in. Which seems more logical?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby david456 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:24 pm

The thing about smoking is we know for a fact because so many tests have been done thta smoking causes certain cancers and can lead to heart attacks and strokes. So it affects not just the user, but those around them, who don't have the choice of whehter they want to breath in the smoke.

However, I also think to a degree the same could be said of excess alcohol, a drunk person can harm those around them, by not being in control of their actions.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby invisifish » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:10 pm

yay, i hat smoke, when i was unger i used to walk out of restorants when people were smoking near by, im very intolorant.
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

Postby Ross Millar » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:55 pm

We have it here in Scotland already!!!!!!! The british government decided to take a back seat on the issue about the public places smoking ban intil they saw what was happening in Scotland. Overall it has been a sucess! Some parts of the law is a bit stupid like a public enclosed space is one that has more than 50% walls and roof! and some of the signs desplayed can be a good laugh like this one in Glasgow...

"if you observe someone smoking in this telephone box please phone BT offices in manchester to make a complaint"... what r they going to do send someone up to deal with it!"

You still alowed to smoke in the street vicky as it isnt considered as a public enclosed space.
Ross Millar
Super Poster

Postby happy_go_lucky » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:37 am

yep it just makes smoking when its raining impossible :D
happy_go_lucky
Super Poster

Postby Page » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:28 pm

Smoking indoors in public areas has been illegal here in California for quite some time, which is good.

I've always hated cigarettes and have never touched them myself.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby carrie » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:43 pm

yup is wonderful news and will also apply here in wales I think at thew same time as England??? but it does mean that I can now visit a pub in Scotland without coughing and smelling YAY
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:33 pm

New Study says that if you smoke or even if you get second smoke for an hour a day over 12 months then you have an increased risk for breast cancer. Yet another reason for every town to ban public smoking (and private for that matter). I hate sitting by someone who smokes or even walking by them at school. It sucks. I hope that both my town and the town where I go to college ban public smoking so that I won't have to endure that. Chicago has already done it in some places. In Illinois, we are allowed to ban smoking in public places in our towns if we want to. It's healthier for everyone so I think every town should ban it.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Kentigern » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:49 pm

Smoking is absolutely disgusting.

I remember having to wage war on our school bus (it was 35mins to school in the morning and 35mins away from school in the evening) to get smoking banned. When I first got the school bus, the driver smoked and a good number of pupils smoked as well. I managed to get the bus company to ban it's drivers from smoking, and slowly (by making myself unpopular) managed to get a ban enforced on smoking in the bus by pupils. I was considered very slefish though by those who wanted to smoke, and by those who were friends with those who wanted to smoke!

Scotland being one up on the English have banned public smikibg indoors. However more is required. There should be a ban on smoking outdoors except in designated areas. Currently to enter a smoke free building one has to sometimes walk through a wall of smoke outside - not nice. Another solution (I think California do this) is to ban smoking within a given perimeter of a building, for example 5 metres. This would effectively ban smoking in streets, which would be most welcome!
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Debate Forum