Windows or Mac

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby Dork_Lord » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:33 pm

I use windows.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Danni » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:23 am

Page wrote:Sorry about the thread necromancy, but it's probably better than startign a new one.

I've started using Kubuntu in the past few months, and I really like it so far. It took all the minor annoyances that I had with Debian and fixed them. All of my computers are now dual-boot kubuntu/winxp boxes.

i still can't get my wifi working on my laptop in kubuntu, though. Then again, linux wifi is always notoriously difficult.

What card is it? I'm reasonably good at getting wifi to work in (K)Ubuntu, and even wrote a how to for one card type (N range Airgo chipset).
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Page » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:59 pm

It's a Broadcom 802.11g. (which are notorious for not providing Linux support.)

It seems that the windows "driver" software provides firmware as well as a driver, so that makes the job a lot harder since the device essentially has no firmware when running in Linux.

I've tried ndiswrapper , but it didn't seem to like the windows drivers.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Danni » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

I need the broadcom chipset number (I'm also experienced with broadcom cards :p).

If you don't know how to find that out I'll go find it for you. Often, you need specific drivers for ndiswrapper (mine needed the Netgear drivers, when it was a Belkin card).
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Danni » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:38 pm

Oh, and to add to that- there is a broadcom driver out now, you just need the firmware from the Windows drivers.
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to Debate Forum