Windows or Mac (or linux)

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

which is better?

windows
100%
mac
No votes

Total votes : 11

Windows or Mac (or linux)

Postby k9ruby » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:05 pm

Windows or Mac? :D
Last edited by k9ruby on Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby eDan » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:08 pm

I've only ever really used Windows, so it's difficult to say. I once used a Mac briefly, but without knowing how it works it was slow going. I've heard it does have its advantages though.

How about Linux as well?
A forum for older dyspraxics too:
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:52 pm

I dont really know cos Ive only ever used windows.
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby madame_tigre » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:36 pm

I've only ever used windows.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

windows

Postby k9ruby » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:28 pm

I use windows xp sp2 pro. I use a mac sometimes at my friends house but i don't like the navigation that much. But then thats cus im not used to it. I want to give linux a try though... anyone tried SUSE?, got a copy free with a computer mag, and wanna try it out!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby kitty_cute » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:38 pm

I've only ever used Windows, however I like the design of Apple, and I own an iPod.
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Danni » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:15 am

Linux all the way :)

I use an distro (distribution) called Kubuntu, which means "towards humanity". I actually find it easier to use than Windows now I'm used to it. I don't have to worry about viruses, spyware, malware, hacking, or anything security based, as it's all built in. Every application I've got running on there is completely free, and apart from watching wmv files, I can do everything I could on Windows.

Did I mention it's completely free? (both in free coffee and freedom to change it.)

I'm a very happy Linux user, and wouldn't recommend Windows to anyone.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

advice

Postby k9ruby » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:47 pm

I'm a very happy Linux user, and wouldn't recommend Windows to anyone.

Do you mind advising me on how tio set up my SUSE linux 10? I know you have to partition the drives so you can have both, but it says i need to write some stuff to CD but i can't as i tripped over it twice!! (and the cd holder came off) but my normal drive works though.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Danni » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:14 pm

There should be some partitioning software on the SUSE 10 disk (a distro I haven't tried, but I will someday ;))

I don't know why you'd need to write stuff to CD- apart from the distro itself, or a partitioning program if it's not included (which I'd be surprised by). It would help if you could tell me what it wants to write to CD :)

Is there any particular reason you've picked SUSE? It's not the most user friendly distro out there (but it isn't as complex as Gentoo :P) but it's a decent second distro. Or, did you just get a CD/DVD of it on the front of a magazine?

If you can find out for me what it wants to write to CD, I'll try and help (luckily, I'm studying Linux in college as well!).
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby oreilly » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:50 am

Linux!

I started experimenting with Linux about a year ago - it's great! Choosen the user friendly Fedora for my home computer (which is now in pieces, but that's another story) and looking at doing something with K12 Linux to get a lot more computers working at work, without having the budget to buy any..

It's well worth the experiment, and especially when you're looking at issues from a business perspective, Linux just makes sense. (Espcially if the business in question doesn't have a lot of money to throw around!)
oreilly

linux

Postby k9ruby » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:31 pm

Or, did you just get a CD/DVD of it on the front of a magazine?

If you can find out for me what it wants to write to CD, I'll try and help (luckily, I'm studying Linux in college as well!).

I Got it free with PCPro. I have always wanted to experiment with linux so i thought i would give it a go.

It says i need to write ISO images to disk??
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Danni » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Ahhh, right. Basically, you need to burn an image to a disk so it knows it's there. Nero can do this.

You'll need to find a partitioning program first. Partition Magic is one, though you can probably find free ones.

If you go to the support forums for SUSE, they might be able to help you better, as I use Kubuntu and that did it automatically.
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

i cant

Postby k9ruby » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:23 pm

but i cant use my cd writer remember! :shock:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Danni » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:45 am

You're going to have trouble then :P

It might be worth looking out of a different distro. Fedora, Mandriva, Kubuntu/Ubuntu, and Mepis are all easy to use ones. You need one with the partitioning software on it.
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

hmm

Postby k9ruby » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:42 pm

I'll do some researching then.. :wink:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Next

Return to Debate Forum