Do you belive in god?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Do you believe in god?

YES.
48%
Partificially
20%
Nope
32%

Total votes : 44

Do you belive in god?

Postby k9ruby » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:29 pm

I personally don't believ in god as a being who made the world, but i do beleve he is love, generosity, kindness etc, and the devil is hate, selfishness etc :evil: :twisted:

Dunno about you but thoughts on this?
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby C » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:39 pm

I clicked 'no'. I don't believe in God however in saying this I don't think anyone can ever know for sure until they die so I am quite willing to accept there may be a God about somewhere; I should probably have clicked the middle button.

I think how you are brought up has a lot to do with your own opinions about God, my mum and dad aren't religious and neither am I.

When I think of God I think of all the sffering in the world. All the people told they have just days to live. All those poor little child who have been abused, beaten, tortured and killed. People dying of starvation every 3.6 secodns in developed countries. If there is a God he either does not have enough power to stop this suffering, in which case he is less pwoerful than we think, or he does has the power and chooses to let the suffering go on, which I find very difficult to understand.

I know lots of people on here are religous and I apologise if I have offended anyone. This is just my opinion and as I said before, nobody knows if God does exist or not and, in a way, I hope he does. I am very scared of death and it would be nice to think that I would live on after dying. One thing that scares me when I say I don't believe in God is that I'll die and he won't let me into heaven because I didn't believe in him!!!
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

same

Postby k9ruby » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:42 pm

When I think of God I think of all the sffering in the world. All the people told they have just days to live. All those poor little child who have been abused, beaten, tortured and killed. People dying of starvation every 3.6 secodns in developed countries. If there is a God he either does not have enough power to stop this suffering, in which case he is less pwoerful than we think, or he does has the power and chooses to let the suffering go on, which I find very difficult to understand.

Hmmm......I must say i agree with you here...hadn't thought of that!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:17 pm

C wrote:I think how you are brought up has a lot to do with your own opinions about God, my mum and dad aren't religious and neither am I.

The thing about you upbringing is proberly true - I have the same belief as family (or most of - I don't know everyone in my family).

About the suffering, I think there must be a reason for some of it, and others God may be helping.

For Example:
C wrote:People dying of starvation every 3.6 secodns in developed countries.

There is a lot of people who have the power to help stop this, But they don't. There is also a lot of people trying to help stop People dying of starvation (Like The salvation Army and Christian Aid). Maby God put them on this planet to do just that - he could be helping in ways that aren't obviouse.

Another Example:
C wrote:All the people told they have just days to live.

well: A) If no-one died, then this world would be overcrowded,

B) Most people who believe in a God believe in some sort of afterlife, and if you're good (or if you've done something wrong, then if your sorry (truely sorry, not just saying that you are) for what you did) you live in a good afterlife for ever.

I would also like to ask if this topic is really a good Idea, after what happened in the "is everyone on here christian?" Topic?

And I'm NOT trying to get anyone to change religeon or start believing in God. I know that not everyone on here is the same religeon as me, and not everyone believes in a God, And I respect that. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want. I am NOT stating as a fact that God exists, but simply that I believe he does. (If I've forgotten to say something in the thing I just said (Starting at "And I'm NOT trying..."), Please P.M me, and I will add it.)
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:06 pm

I think this topic is all right for the Debate Forum, ChocFC, providing it doesn't disintegrate into personal attacks - and I think we like each other too much for that to happen.

Ruby, what does the middle option mean? If you think about it logically, either God exists or He does not. How can He only exist partially? Please explain a bit more about that.

Serenity does not mean a life outside the storm. It means peace within the storm.

I don't perceive God as a Santa Claus figure. He does not sit on a cloud and hand down cosmic chocolate from the sky. Some people suffer horribly in their lives - but this is not because God chose it. It's because we chose it. According to theological thought in the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Islam, and Christianity) human beings have free will. An awful lot of us choose to let our brothers and sisters suffer, even if we don't deliberately go out to torture or murder them. Neglecting to give time or money to charity and worrying about our own needs too much is enough for us to become guilty. According to Christianity, the pain inflicted on people by all the sin and blackness in the world tortures God to such an extent that the Son was willing to come down to earth in human form and die because of it. I don't know how many of you have read the gospels. Reading about the crucifixion and the tortures that preceded it - mental, spiritual, physical, and psychological - has made me realise that no pain on earth can exceed that endured by Jesus. When He was nailed to the cross He experienced every pain that anyone would ever feel. And just like the innocent children who starve to death, He didn't deserve that.

Sometimes I come close to tears, just knowing that by my petty selfishness and the thoughtlessness I so often display towards others, I helped to drive in those nails. I was the one who caused Him to cry out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" And so when I look at all the suffering in the world, I don't see God's reflection. I can't. I see my own.

This may sound negative. It's not. The deeper the shadow, the brighter the light. Once, when I was talking to a Christian friend who was wavering in her faith (she was suffering under burdens almost too heavy to bear), I took up the New Testament and showed her the parts where Jesus heals the mentally ill man, resurrects Lazarus, saves the life of the 'fallen woman' ("Let he without sin cast the first stone"), and befriends the filthy leper whom no one else wanted to touch.

I asked her if any pain she could ever feel was strong enough to stand up to love like that.

It has to be conceded that if such love exists, no suffering on earth can defy it. But does that love exist? The starving Zambians (average life expectancy: 36 years) are probably best equipped to answer that question. People living in the Third World are usually very strong in their faith - not because they were brought up that way, but because it's literally the only thing they have. And if you go to www.xanga.com/farglefeezlebut and scroll down, you will discover that they have a lot more than we might suppose.

To live as a religious person (no matter what faith you belong to) is to see everything in the light of that love. In the words of C.S. Lewis, "I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:21 pm

I used to believe in God when i was younger- but alot of negative factors caused me to doubt and question! So now im kinda stuck in the middle but i do feel at times that there is somthing bigger somwhere than us!!!
Last edited by Radioactive_hairgel on Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

partially

Postby k9ruby » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:21 pm

partially- Like a not fully yes, like i dont believe he created the world, but i think he created love...kwim....cant think how to explain it!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby intowiz » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:15 am

which one i dont believe in the christrian god. i believe in the pagan goddess.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:10 am

To me there is only one God, but He (and let's remember that He is perceived as neither male nor female in most faith traditions) is called by many names. In most strands of paganism the God and the Goddess are not seen as separate entities, but as part of the same whole. If you look at divinity as it is represented through a variety of religious scriptures, ranging from al-Qur'an (Islamic) to the Upanishads (Hindu), you will find that the portrayal is extremely similar.

For this reason I don't think it is possible to say, "I believe in the Christian God," or, "I believe in the Muslim God," or, "I believe in the Parsee God." You either believe in God or you do not. It is just that most religions tend to focus on a specific aspect of God. It reminds me of the Hindu fable of the three blind man and the elephant. One felt the trunk and decided that the elephant must be like a snake. One felt the leg and decided the elephant must be like a tree trunk. One felt the flank and decided the elephant must be like a rock. In a sense, they were all right - but none of them were right enough.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:06 pm

I believe in God. I don't think you need to believe in God to go to heaven or be a good person because I think if you have a good soul/are a good person then God must be working through you anyway.

My only ambitions in life are to try my best to practise the religion of Christianity as best I can and become an environmentalist. I want to die knowing that I have given more to the world than I've taken. :)

Mattie.

Postby rachel » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:44 am

[quote="parnassus"]To me there is only one God,

yes thats ture
rachel
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:46 pm

parnassus wrote:I think this topic is all right for the Debate Forum, ChocFC, providing it doesn't disintegrate into personal attacks - and I think we like each other too much for that to happen.

Ruby, what does the middle option mean? If you think about it logically, either God exists or He does not. How can He only exist partially? Please explain a bit more about that.

Serenity does not mean a life outside the storm. It means peace within the storm.

I don't perceive God as a Santa Claus figure. He does not sit on a cloud and hand down cosmic chocolate from the sky. Some people suffer horribly in their lives - but this is not because God chose it. It's because we chose it. According to theological thought in the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Islam, and Christianity) human beings have free will. An awful lot of us choose to let our brothers and sisters suffer, even if we don't deliberately go out to torture or murder them. Neglecting to give time or money to charity and worrying about our own needs too much is enough for us to become guilty. According to Christianity, the pain inflicted on people by all the sin and blackness in the world tortures God to such an extent that the Son was willing to come down to earth in human form and die because of it. I don't know how many of you have read the gospels. Reading about the crucifixion and the tortures that preceded it - mental, spiritual, physical, and psychological - has made me realise that no pain on earth can exceed that endured by Jesus. When He was nailed to the cross He experienced every pain that anyone would ever feel. And just like the innocent children who starve to death, He didn't deserve that.

Sometimes I come close to tears, just knowing that by my petty selfishness and the thoughtlessness I so often display towards others, I helped to drive in those nails. I was the one who caused Him to cry out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" And so when I look at all the suffering in the world, I don't see God's reflection. I can't. I see my own.

This may sound negative. It's not. The deeper the shadow, the brighter the light. Once, when I was talking to a Christian friend who was wavering in her faith (she was suffering under burdens almost too heavy to bear), I took up the New Testament and showed her the parts where Jesus heals the mentally ill man, resurrects Lazarus, saves the life of the 'fallen woman' ("Let he without sin cast the first stone"), and befriends the filthy leper whom no one else wanted to touch.

I asked her if any pain she could ever feel was strong enough to stand up to love like that.

It has to be conceded that if such love exists, no suffering on earth can defy it. But does that love exist? The starving Zambians (average life expectancy: 36 years) are probably best equipped to answer that question. People living in the Third World are usually very strong in their faith - not because they were brought up that way, but because it's literally the only thing they have. And if you go to www.xanga.com/farglefeezlebut and scroll down, you will discover that they have a lot more than we might suppose.

To live as a religious person (no matter what faith you belong to) is to see everything in the light of that love. In the words of C.S. Lewis, "I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

I agree with what you said, Parnassus. 8) I believe in God and I will quote something from the movie A Walk to Remember here in light of the world's suffering:

Jamie: It's [God] like the wind. I can't see it, but I can feel it. Can't you?
Landon: No. There's just to much "crap" that goes on in this world.
Jamie: Without suffering there would be no compassion.

This is quoted from A Walk to Remember by Jamie, a girl who is very ill with leukemia. It's another quote about suffering from one who suffers:

Jamie:You know what I figured out today?
Landon: What?
Jamie: Maybe God has a bigger plan for me than I had for myself. Like this journey never ends. Like you were sent to me because I'm sick. To help me through all this. You're my angel.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:47 pm

PS- Like Chocolatefudgecake, I was just trying to say what I believe. I'm NOT trying to preach to others or anything. It's just MY beliefs. 8) Just wanted to make that clear.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Danni » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:25 am

I believe in God. It's difficult to define Him- I suppose that's for the best :P

The Star Trek character Q is similar to how I see Him, but is different at the same time. It's very confusing :P
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby rachel » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:34 pm

god is real hes the best
rachel
Splendiferous Member

Next

Return to Debate Forum